Author Topic: Losing hope - can't get rid of mucous poops - should I add food anyways?  (Read 11430 times)

scarlettsmom

Re: Losing hope - can't get rid of mucous poops - should I add food anyways?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 23:10:06 pm »
Aw, (((hugs))), so sorry about the reaction.

I would suggest leaving the potato alone for now (I'm voting pot for the reaction, sorry).  But definitely try the quinoa.  Such a great food and would be wonderful for you to add.  I so wish you could have a huge steak.  My Gwynnie was intolerant/allergic to so so many foods, but I could eat steak and it helped so so much.  I know there are slight correlations for milk allergy/beef allergy, but you have to be able to function.  Would be such a huge plus for you!

Keep on hanging in there, and I am sending lots of hugs and vibes your way for some positive results to come your way soon!
    :-*

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 05:33:52 am »
Shannon I try to cook the same meals, but my opart modified. I would lose my mind becoming a short order cook. Our meals are predictably simplw though - meat, potato and veggies. The more basic the food, the easier it is to accomodate my diet, dh's tastes and toddler food jags. I also started making bread from scratch and substitute real milk with almond milk. I was getting pretty crabby without carbs lol.

So sorry to hear about the reraction. E can no longer have any formula as she's sensitive to one of 3 common ingredients that exist in all formulas - even elemental ones. I'm at the point with her weight loss thayt I would happily put her on a bottle if she would just stop losing weight and grow, so I feel your frustration with your lo's reaction. Re potato - perhaps the starch in it? Best of luck :)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 10:23:44 am »
Shannon that's so cr*p for you guys!  I am so annoyed for you about the potato - if it was the potato.  If it was the nut traces then you would be dealing with a VERY severe nut allergy right? 

What type of potato was it? Not all potatoes are equal  :P Pink ones have moderate sals.  It didn;t have any hints of green or little buds coming off?

I would be looking at the chemicals in the rice wrap ie. any numbers - preservative 220 or 280?  They are very well known to cause problems.  If you bub is sensitive to sals and amines they will prob  be sensitivie to additives and preservatives.    In this RPAH elimination diet there is a specific food challenge for preservative 200 and one for 280, as they are a very "common" problem area.   

I doubt the tapioca flour that;s totally gluten free.   

Did you ge the booklet yet?  I sent it about a week ago now.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 05:21:18 am »
Vicky, that is so not fair! You are working so hard on this. I was eating almond butter on rice cakes but it seemed iffy so I ditched all nuts. I think Marsha was saying that J sometimes feeds better when he's hungrier - maybe going longer between feeds would allow them to be bigger, more hindmilk??

What type of potato was it? Not all potatoes are equal  Tongue Pink ones have moderate sals.  It didn;t have any hints of green or little buds coming off?

Brown baking potato (russet I think). I baked it with the peel on and then peeled it thickly and only ate the white flesh.

I would be looking at the chemicals in the rice wrap ie. any numbers - preservative 220 or 280?  They are very well known to cause problems.  If you bub is sensitive to sals and amines they will prob  be sensitivie to additives and preservatives.    In this RPAH elimination diet there is a specific food challenge for preservative 200 and one for 280, as they are a very "common" problem area.
They've got organic molasses, could that be it? The only other ingredient is xanthan cellulose. Is that a preservative? They're supposed to be for restricted diets.

Did you ge the booklet yet?  I sent it about a week ago now.
Nope. I checked twice today though 'cause I thought it could be soon too :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 11:32:03 am »
Xanthan gum is typically corn derived, not completely certain about xanthan cell use though....

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 13:18:02 pm »
Have had a unsettled couple of days for no apparent reason (I'm thinking teething maybe?). Or the Vitamin D drops which are lanolin sourced?? I'm so sketch at giving them consistently.

Anyways, yesterday was our first really good day in a few so I decided to throw caution to the wind last night and trial oatmeal. I should have done the quinoa, but it takes longer to make and I only had a small window to eat before getting both boys bath/bed routine on the run. I know you said that one ended up being a problem for you Tari, but as you pointed out it would be good for my milk supply if he could handle it. At least in my case, we'll know definitively.

I can't imagine how good it would be nutritionally to get beef back so I think I'm going to have to try it and see. I don't think there is only super fresh source of organic stuff around here though. It will probably be vacuum packed and frozen, but I can always try it again later if a better source becomes available.

S has been giving me the most enchanting looks and smiles lately -- feels like "thank you, Mommy" :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 23:26:20 pm »
Keeping fingers crossed the oatmeal is ok!  Are you using the steel cut Irish oatmeal?  If you could add that and beef back that would be SO wonderful.

Awww, very sweet about your LO.   ;D

Offline EloysH

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 23:58:33 pm »
good luck with the oatmeal  :)

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:07 am »
Keeping fingers crossed the oatmeal is ok!  Are you using the steel cut Irish oatmeal?  If you could add that and beef back that would be SO wonderful.

Awww, very sweet about your LO.   ;D

No, just rolled oats (not instant). Are the Irish better? Unfortunately I am not sure if oatmeal is ok. I got one massive blowout poo after I ate it but it looked pretty normal for us (bright yellow, slimy, a few seeds) but he seemed much gassier and naps the day after were lousy so I didn't eat it a second time in case it was connected. My plan was to wait a couple of days and then try it again, but the last few days have been exhausting and frustrating... my supply has dropped (and perhaps his need is increasing too at just the wrong time - I thought it was a growth spurt, but it seems like my boobs are not responding). I can't believe I haven't added a single food in weeks  :-\ What should I do now? Oatmeal again? Try the beef (can only get frozen if I want organic)? Some other supply-boosting food? I was thinking that the idea of Tolerex is pretty hard to accept (plus so far nowhere orders it) so maybe I should bite the bullet and do RPAH low seriously (no book yet!) but since he already failed the potato (we think) and that was supposed to be low, I'm super nervous.

My nerves are shot. And now my inlaws are here and they don't have a clue (MIL FF all 3 of her boys) and they know S has 'a few allergies' but I'm not sure I can handle this situation!!

S just took all of the first side (with plenty of grabbing and wriggling) of what felt like a reasonably full boob and now he's getting dozy after a big chunk of the second side. Haven't had such a long NF in quite some time. I need more milk, in the daytime!!  :'(

Offline EloysH

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:05 am »
Shannon, hugs!  I hear you, this is getting really tough!  I think you really really need more foods for your sanity/stress/supply since they are all linked. He's probably just putting on some good amounts of weight and drinking you dry  :) Remember naps are always lousy during a growth spurt, they are more interesting in waking to eat.   

Here's an idea: forge ahead and keep eating one food for consecutive days,  without stopping that food until you are 100% sure that it is a reaction.  If you stop after only one day of the food you can never be too sure, and remember that our bubs have off days anyway, you need to look for patterns of consecutuve bad days, with all symptoms amplified to be sure that it is a food intolerance reaction. 

What is it other than bad naps and his frequent feeding that is holding you off from adding a new food? Is he mega relfuxy of just off?  If he is just a "bit off" I would forge ahead.

I am nervous about oatmeal for you because of the small gluten content.   To be honest I would try potato again and keep  going for a few days on it. Otherwise you willbe forever scared of potato.  You said there were other factors that could have caused the reaction. Or else Quinoa grain, or else lamb or veal.

Going on a "low" diet is a good idea, you will add at least 20 foods all at once that way. 

hugs hugs hang in there....  :)

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 05:26:13 am »
Here's an idea: forge ahead and keep eating one food for consecutive days,  without stopping that food until you are 100% sure that it is a reaction.  If you stop after only one day of the food you can never be too sure, and remember that our bubs have off days anyway, you need to look for patterns of consecutuve bad days, with all symptoms amplified to be sure that it is a food intolerance reaction.
Right now I am trying his Vitamin D drops (given to him directly). I've been so inconsistent with them, so wanted to do a few days in a row. They are sourced from lanolin and I remember that using the cream on my nipples seemed to make them worse not better with J. Anyways, gave the drops yesterday and all naps were rubbish and we had some screaming, but once again my "lab" is contaminated because MIL gave a bottle of milk that was quite old. I couldn't remember when I pumped one part of two (the latter was fresh) but it was over a week ago. Oops. I may have been after the potato for all I know right now.

He was really bad again today and now I'm wondering if it was the basmati rice. I have not had that type before and I read somewhere that basmati and jasmine rice are not allowed on RPAH. I feel like I am splitting hairs and yet everything seems to matter!!

No book here yet. I am seeing a dietician that specializes in food hypersensitivities next Friday. I am asking if she is familiar with Failsafe/RPAH but I don't know yet. If she wants to supervise some other type of diet, I may have to do that as I need to do something *sustainable*!! I did give the vitamins again today.

Bad days for us are more fluxxy, screaming, gas, refusal to sleep or light/disturbed sleep, eczema/itching, mucusy diapers with frequent diarrhea, comfort feeding/scratching me/biting.

Maybe I should trial one other low food? I'd feel a lot better about adding a whole pile of them if S had convinced me of the safety of any food. Sigh.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2010, 04:56:46 am »
He was really bad again today and now I'm wondering if it was the basmati rice. I have not had that type before and I read somewhere that basmati and jasmine rice are not allowed on RPAH. I feel like I am splitting hairs and yet everything seems to matter!!

No book here yet. I am seeing a dietician that specializes in food hypersensitivities next Friday. I am asking if she is familiar with Failsafe/RPAH but I don't know yet. If she wants to supervise some other type of diet, I may have to do that as I need to do something *sustainable*!! I did give the vitamins again today.

Things are going well right now, but only because we are still at baseline. I decided not to try any other foods until after I've seen this lady (and take a peek at the handbook - thanks, Elo!!). I did stop giving him the vitamins (as well as the basmati rice) and he did improve and had great naps, etc. Do you know from your diet if the type of rice is an issue?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2010, 10:23:24 am »
Hi Shannon,

In the booklet on page 60 is the food chemical chart for gluten free grains and flours.  Basmati is listed as moderate for salicylates, so that could be your problem. Your aren't allowed to eat basmati on a "low" diet.  If he is sensitive to the  basmati it suggests that he is very sensitivie to salicyates.  

I have just received the "tolerance threshold" testing guidelines - for testing the amount of a group that you can tolerate. (I can send you a copy). This is to be done after you have have failed a food challenge and determined that LO is sensitive to that group.  In your case, it could be the basmati.  I could send you these guidlines, bascically if you react to moderate salicylates, then you are considered "very sensitive" and when tolerance testing it is suggested to try only 1 teaspoon every 3 days of a moderate salicylate food.  If there are no adverse affects after two weeks them move to the next level.  If you get a DEFINITE reaction go back to the previous level for a few more weeks.  

Rice that is considered "low' is white and brown short, mediums, long grain and arborio.  I would be REALLY interesting to see if LO can tolerate these - the more things that you he can handle for the "low" foods will hopefully give you confidence to move forward with more "low" foods.

I'll write about it on my thread too.  It says
 "most sensitive people are able to tolerate any amount of low salicylate foods,, and 1 serve daily of moderate salicylate foods, 1/10 of a serve of high sal foods and VERY HIGH sal foods are tolerated rarely.  The level of tolerance can vary over time"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:57:18 am by EloysH »

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 16:06:26 pm »
i've been reading this thread with interest as i'm on an ED and am slowly adding food back in (fish last night), my son has eczema and according to a skin test we did last week, he is severely allergic to egg and a bit to peanut.

how did things go for OP? :)
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2010, 04:44:42 am »
Rice that is considered "low' is white and brown short, mediums, long grain and arborio.  I would be REALLY interesting to see if LO can tolerate these - the more things that you he can handle for the "low" foods will hopefully give you confidence to move forward with more "low" foods.

We have made some progress. No where near where I'd hoped we'd be by this point, but it's a start. The dietician is telling me to focus now only on adding foods to S's diet, but shouldn't I be trying something through the milk first, rather than just jumping right into carrots!?