Author Topic: Food Allergies and eczema?  (Read 5358 times)

Offline caseyb

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 27, 2010, 15:41:00 pm »
Hi Ladies,

I've read the threads on here and have officially scared myself into thinking the worst!  :)  My DS is 8 months and has terrible eczema on his neck, back (up to the base of his skull), armpits, in the crooks of his elbows, on the back of his knees and a few small patches on his legs.  It's gotten progressively worse over the last few months to where it is now, but seems to have stopped spreading.  It started with a few light patches on his cheecks, which has completely cleared up.  They are small patches, but still all over. 

I was reading the post about celiac's disease and he has none of the symptoms.  But I'm still afraid that he definitely has an allergy to something.  He's still ebf and on solids 3 times a day.  We really just do fruit/meat/veggie purees and sometimes oatmeal and rice.  We have no known food allergies in our house.  DD had a slight egg allergy when she was younger but seems to have outgrown that. 

Since we don't have any food allergies, I've been eating whatever I wanted...including my morning breakfast of either peanut butter toast or egg white omlettes.  I've stopped eating peanut butter this week to see if that may be the culprit but I'm not seeing any results.  Anyone know how long it takes to rid the body of the peanut proteins?  I don't do a ton of dairy but occassionally do eat yogurt or cheese.  I do have a bit of milk in my morning cup 'o joe.  :)  Do I just need to stop eating ALL of the food allergy triggers and see what happens?  I really don't want to wean DS to formula, but will if that's the LAST possible step.  Although from what I've read, many of the formulas contain the same milk proteins that DS may have an allergy to? 

DS is much less bothered by this than I am.  The more I read about eczema, the more frightened I become that this is food related.  We saw the Ped a few weeks ago and of course I got a prescription for a steroid cream and was told not to worry.  Well, covering up the problem doesn't do much to make me feel better.  I'm tempted to take him to an allergist to see what the next steps are. 

Any other moms dealing with eczema in their LOs?  Any remedies that work?  I've tried limited baths, more baths, shea butter, aquaphor, cetaphil.  I guess diet eliminations is next (other than peanut butter).  I hate to sound like a paranoid mother, but something is clearly wrong and my Ped isn't listening...

TIA!!!

Casey

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Food Allergies and eczema?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 20:25:54 pm »
Hi Casey,

Both of my kids had ezcema as babies, but only my youngest has food allergies.  Interestingly, her ezcema diappeared 2 weeks after I stopped BF...was weaning her on to soy formula anyways and hadn't made the connection between the foods I was eating and her ezcema.  The couple of months where she was solely on formula and fruit/veggie purees were the best her skin had ever been.  Now we know that eggs and milk are culprits, but they mainly cuase hives (eggs) and GI symptoms (milk)...so the ezcema could have been related, or maybe not.  I've read elsewhere that a large percentage of ezcema is not food related.

Can you get a referral to an allergist? or try another Dr., that is what I had to do as mine wouldn't refer her until she was 2 or had anaphalaxis.  Do you have a history of any allergies in your family? apparently "they" say that any history of any allergy gives a kid more of a chance of having food allergies.  Maybe just cutting out the obvious things like dairy, soy, nuts & eggs?

HTH
Heidi
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:10:02 am »
Hi there,

Heidi is right, a large amount of eczema is typically not food related but (ready to get confused a bit?!) it can be.   :-\

You'll usually see other symptoms if indeed it is a food allergy - hives, GI symptoms, fussiness, wakefulness, respiratory issues, swelling of the eyes, etc.  However, you really should get the opinion of a ped allergist to be sure.

My DD has always had GI symptoms, and on occasion rashes.  Last weekend however she got eczema on her cheeks, pretty badly, and honestly it stumped me.  No GI symptoms to go with it, and no new foods.  There may have been a new soap that DH used for bathtime but not sure.  So right now just monitoring closely.  Frustrating!

Good luck, if LO is doing fine otherwise, you're probably in the clear - don't stress!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:15:03 am by scarlett'smom »

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 03:04:44 am »
eczema & allergies do tend to go hand in hand, but the most common links with eczema are actually dustmite allergy & asthma.

My friend's DS who is almost 7 has had issues with eczema & skin allergy for a long time, she found "the body shop" Hemp cream was the best cream, better even than perscription creams.

DS1 (7) does have some mild food allergies, but the only time he has had eczema I can actually link to before we worked out he had dustmite allergies. Now I actually put ALL his bedlinen in the wash or dryer every week, so I wash the sheets/pillow slip each week & I do the quilt cover every 2-3 weeks, but the quilt, pillow & mattress protector (& quilt cover on weeks not washed) all go in the dryer on the high setting for 30mins... since then his snotty sneezes have got less & we've had no  eczema... not that he got more than a few small patches, but I told DH that for me doing that is worth it. I do DS2's stuff & DH & mine 1/month & I swear it makes a difference to all of us - Oh & I vacuum the mattresses too.

This is quite a good overview that explains that there are so many different factors about it ( although I am a bit biased by the website as it was done by a former co-worker of mine ;))

http://www.allergy.org.au/content/view/173/148/
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:57:45 pm »
Interesting link Kate, thanks for posting.  What is funny is that the day Gwynnie had the issue with her skin is also the day we were at a friend's house and she was playing in a sandpit - didn't even think of that being a factor to consider!  Hmmmmm....

Offline caseyb

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 13:59:09 pm »
Hey ladies,

It is so easy to let your mind run away with all kinds of crazy thoughts, isn't it?  The internet is a wonderful resource and torture device all at the same time!!  That was a great article.  Thanks for the link!

DS's eczema has started to lighten a bit.  I've done SO many things that I don't know which has helped!  I'm pretty sure that the biggest factor was me stopping my morning breakfast of peanut butter toast.  He is almost a different kid the last few days.  Yesterday he was SO much fun, laughing (which he hasn't done before), playing, more alert and much less fussy.  He's actually STTN for a few nights this week which he hasn't done in MONTHS!  I think my daily dose of peanut butter was torture to my poor sweet boy.  The patches have gotten so much better and his neck is almost completely clear (which was the WORST part - awful, red and always bloody), not to mention the dark circles under his eyes.  I think I will just avoid peanut products while I'm still nursing and then we'll see about what the next steps are once he's really eating solids.  I know it isn't the end of the world, but I am praying that he doesn't have a peanut allergy.  Both DD and I had some random allergies around outgrew them.  I certainly hope this is the case for DS too!

Thanks again!!

Casey

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 14:42:49 pm »
So glad to hear of the improvements!  ....regarding the dark ring around his eyes, that is actually a symptom of food allergies - they are typically called allergy shiners. 

Enjoy your happy, laughing bub! 

Offline caseyb

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 00:19:18 am »
Well, feeling a little overwhelmed at present.  Took DD to the Allergist today for a check up.  He took one look at DS and decided to do some testing as his eczema is still horrible.  Turns out DS is allergic to milk, peanuts and our dogs.   :'(  I'm still breastfeeding so I now have a long list of things I can't eat, which is fine.  I'm just worried about DS and transitioning to food and soy milk (which NO cow's milk at all) in a few months.  DD LOVES yogurt and cheese and there will be none of that with him.  I know things could be much worse, but the peanut allergy scares me.  I know a few kids that have horrible peanut allergies.  I am just hoping that he grows out of this...   *sigh*...  I am also glad that I listened to my mommy instinct instead of just putting cream on it and hoping it would go away.

Guess I'm still processing all of this and just looking for some other moms who have BTDT. 

Thanks...

Casey

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 07:08:30 am »
hello

my SIL is a member here and her lo is a similar age to yours, he has eczema and allergies too. I will give her a nudge to come here and share her experiences with you too
Hugs xxxx
]

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:57:34 am »
hello

my SIL is a member here and her lo is a similar age to yours, he has eczema and allergies too. I will give her a nudge to come here and share her experiences with you too
Hugs xxxx

Hello, I am here  :). My DS is 7.5 months old and EBF with 3 meals a day. We found he was MPI at about 3 weeks old when he was violently sick after having formula top ups. I stopped eating dairy then. Now we are starting to wean we have also discovered that he had an allergic reaction (vomiting, hives, swollen glands within 2 hours) to bread (contained wheat and soya - think it is wheat allergy as soya tends to be more GI). So now he doesn't eat gluten, dairy or soya. Yes, it is very limiting. Any new food stuff I am very wary with and so give small quantities and only 1 new food every 3 days now.

He has also had skin probs since 3 weeks old. Started off with septic spots, turned into nasty cradle cap on his scalp and forehead and then eczema. TBH we haven't found it to be related to food. Though it could be something we haven't identifed yet. We manage it with steriod creams and Oilatum in the bath. We do bathe him daily now.

The main problem with his eczema is the itching! He just claws at his face and scalp even though we can't see any eczema there now. Because of this we are still swaddling for sleep. I would LOVE to wean the swaddle but he would just damage his skin more by scratching than the eczema would  :(

So there is my story - if you want any support just let me know  :D

Offline caseyb

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 14:38:03 pm »
Thanks for sharing your story, Buntybear.  I am so sorry to hear your DS is having such a hard time too.  It's hard to see our LO's uncomfortable from food, which is supposed to be the source of nutrition and, really, pleasure.  Food, in our house anyway, is more than just nourishment.  Our house enjoys eating (and I LOVE to cook).  So now I just have to step back and regroup and think about how I will plan meals once DS is eating more table food.  I  look at lables a lot anyway when I buy food and it seems like EVERYTHING is processed where peanuts are.  I was just having a really bad day yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed with everything (not to mention sleep deprived from many nights of my little man not sleeping!). 

I will say that the itching is out of control around here.  I'm not one to medicate, but the Allergist has recommended benedryl and zyrtec at bedtime to help control the itching and rash.  He also said that water is one of the best treatments for eczema (which I've read just the opposite of that).  A minimum of a 15 minute bath every day and then LOTS of moisturizer (cetaphil and aquaphor were the two mentioned).  I also have a prescription for another lotion that goes on immediately after bathtime. 

I was also afraid to wean the swaddle because of the scratching.  I started off with socks on the hands and then gradually went to nothing.  He wasn't so keen on the socks, but we did it long enough to get his face healed up.  The back of his head is another story.  He digs and digs at it.  The benedryl does help, but it also knocks him out which I don't want to do.  Can you talk to your Ped about possibly doing something like that to clear things up?

We're only supposed to do the benedryl/zyrtec combo for about a month and then it will just be the zyrtec at bedtime until we can really get things under control. 

Have you taken your LO to see anyone yet?  My Ped just dismissed his eczema as a rash, which irritates me.  I'm sure that most eczema IS just a rash and clears up, but this has been an on-going issue for months and months.  If he would have alerted me to the other possible causes instead of making me do my homework, I would be a little easier on him.  But as it stands, I had to start digging to figure out what the root of the problem was since he wasn't getting better. 

Sorry for the long post!  I hope your LO gets better soon and you can find the right balance for him.  Let's hope that these guys outgrow this and can have normal toddlerhoods!!

Casey

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 17:45:01 pm »
Oh I love cooking too, Kathryn will tell you! So far I have just made loads of purees and frozen them and have a small range of ready made meals I have found that he can tolerate for emergencies. As I have been dairy free for 7 months myself it isn't such a great step for me to take cooking his meals carefully. You are right though that when we want him to eat the same as us it will be hard. One step at a time though  :)

Re swaddling. I am SO worried to do it. He can quite vicious and has taken to pulling his hair at the moment. If he has socks on his hands he would just rub that on his face to create friction and we have woken before to find his scratch mitts bloody where he had damaged his skin by rubbing.

We have been to see a dermatologist - who siad it was just one of those things! 2nd appt with allergist next week so will bring up the anti histamines which haven't been mentioned before - thanks.

Where abouts are you??

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 22:15:03 pm »
i myself have eczema all my life and my mother told me i had it BAD as a baby, I don't have any advice about the foods but some tips on soothing Lo skin:
oatmeal baths are my bestfriend, i blend rolled oats in the blender till they are power then put then in chesse cloth or a piece cloth thats almost see throw tie with hair tye.
put in tub when waters running, squeeze "bag" and looks like milk comes out, also sticky. when I get into the tub I put the "milk all over my eczema feels sooo good, pat dry get out ( dont wash off till 24-48hrs later).
I also put flax seeds in almost evrything I eat, mostly the powder at can't even taste it but It sure does help my skin.
HTH

Offline caseyb

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 02:02:57 am »
Hey Buntybear!  Sorry, we were out of town for a nice, looooong weekend!  :)

How is the swaddling going?  Any more thoughts of starting to wean it?  Maybe just one arm for now to see how your LO handles it?

Yes, I would definitely recommend an Allergist versus a Dermatologist or even your Ped.  I really think that most cases they see could be just a rash or dry skin and will dismiss it.  I just felt like something else was going on and, really, when I took my DD I was hoping that he would also look at DS.  I've seen some improvement in DS since we had him to the doctor.  The combo of zyrtec and benedryl has really helped with the itching, especially at night.  I think it takes about a week or so to eliminate dairy and peanut proteins from breastmilk, so I'm hoping to see some bigger leaps in his skin soon. 

I'm in the States.  Where are you?

Lilybug, thanks for sharing.  I used to use a ton of flax, the oil actually.  It did help my skin as well.  I've got terrible patches of dry, irritated skin on my scalp and it used to really help.  Never heard about the oats in the bath.  I wonder if that would help my DS...?  I wonder if I can give flax to DS?  Thanks!!  I'll talk to my ped/allergist about both of those to see if they are safe to use on him.  Great ideas!!!

Casey

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 20:02:08 pm »
Hi Casey,

Not going to attempt swaddle weaning yet. He has been really bad with his scratching today, just can't risk him doing it when we are not there and able to help stop him.

We went and saw our Allergy Consultant this week. Another blood test taken to test for reaction to wheat, spy and milk. They can't do scratch tests until his is 1 so it is a waiting game.  :(

I am in the UK  :D