Author Topic: Solid Food = Lots of Bowel Movements  (Read 8780 times)

Offline APBK

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Solid Food = Lots of Bowel Movements
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:38:18 am »
Just wondering if anyone else has a LO who has many bowel movements per day since starting solids? Everything I have read says watch for constipation but my LO has the opposite problem - anywhere from 3  - 6 bm's per day! Other than the amount of diapers I am going through, I am not really worried as he is growing and developing well. I don't see any signs that he isn't absorbing nutrients from his food that would signal irritable bowel syndrom or any stomach problems...I more just want to know I am not alone. Thanks!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:05:31 am »
What sorts of foods have you been trying?  Some are more constipating than others - cereals are traditionally very constipating, as are bananas, apples and I think carrots.  But fruits like pears actually have a more laxative effect.  My DS1 always had lots of bms, even after starting solids.  Nothing ever slowed him down!  lol

Are the bms really watery or are they more normal?  Is your LO breast or formula fed? 

Is your LO teething?  Often teething can lead to more frequent, loose stools.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good eye on how he's doing.  Keep an eye on things and if you think something's off it can't hurt to visit the doctor for some reassurance.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline APBK

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Solid Food = Lots of Bowel Movements
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:24:43 am »
My LO is eating a variety of food. I try to keep things varied to ensure he doesn't get bored with something and that his palate is trying everything to keep him from becoming a picky eater.  We have gone through all the typical fruits, veggies and cereals that are starters and are now getting into proteins (chicken, turkey, egg yolk, beans) and more variety in fruits and veggies (mango, avocado). It doesn't seem to matter what he eats - he has lots of bm's!

They are normal - soft and formed (though squished from sitting on them). There is the odd time there will be a mix of "rabbit turd", as I call it, and I know that is from constipation but it is never bad enough on him that it prevents him from pooping - its usually just in the mix. He is now EFF, and has been since starting solids at 6 months (prior to 6 months EBMilk with F supplement). He is teething now (first tooth) but the excessive bm's started prior to this. He had a couple looser ones today from the teething.

As I said, I am not all that concerned about it as he is happy and healthy, growing and active. but its just nice to know that I am not the only one who has a LO with lots of bm's when all I read about is constipation.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:03:07 am »
Sounds like he's doing fine then!  And no, you're not the only one!  I think constipation is normal, but doesn't have to be the norm for all babies kwim?  Like I said, was never a problem for my older guy! 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Noriko378

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:10:38 am »
I found the same thing here! Before solids, my LO would have a BM every 2 days (and he is formula fed  :-\) but since introducing solids to him, he usually has about 2-3 BMs a day. So long as it he feels fine, has no excessive gas and is happy, I think it's ok.
-Mirabel

Offline bumblemum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 13:04:19 pm »
Glad you asked the question ABPK. I had been wondering the same myself. Not worried but just curious as to others experience. My lo is mostly BF and would go days between bm's. Sometimes a week would pass. Now she is having 3 a day. They are similarly soft but formed as you described. She isn't constipated but does go purple when she is getting them out! Often going at mealtimes - she sometimes even has to stop shovelling food down to concentrate on the job in hand!!! Bit embarrassing when we are in a quietly queueing in a shop though.
C

Offline mberry

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 14:26:46 pm »
My Lo is pooping a lot more too!  She was EBF before we started solids and would have a BM maybe once a day but usually every two days or so...now she's going 4-5 times a day!  Better stock up on diapers!

Offline kerryt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 20:39:44 pm »
I have another excessive pooper here too, 4-5 times a day FF and just started solids. Before starting solids DS would only have 1 a day if that..

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 20:11:28 pm »
My little guys does 5-6 bowel movements a day - full too! Good thing I use washables in combo with disposables otherwise it just gets expensive :o. Isn't it funny how you don't mind changing dirty nappies when it is your own child...I couldn't handle changing other people's child's nappies ;D.
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com