Author Topic: WDYT - Tree Nut Allergy? - UPDATE  (Read 5266 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
WDYT - Tree Nut Allergy? - UPDATE
« on: September 13, 2010, 00:52:05 am »
Suspecting a tree nut allergy in my 15 month old... Am I crazy? Lately he's been getting hives a LOT on his face. Mainly by his eyes and mouth. And they seem to correlate with an increase in frequent mushy BMs and diaper rash. And sleep problems (last night he was up very unsettled from 12:30-3). Why suspect nut allergy? Well he's addicted to playing with acorns (we haven't let him handle any now since Friday) and the hives seemed to pop up shortly thereafter. AND last week after two days in a row of eating Clif Z bars (which claim they may contain trace amounts of tree nuts) he was up at night screaming and having massive BMs.

My niece (DH's sister's first daughter) is epi-pen allergic to both peanuts and tree nuts and my brother is allergic to tree nuts as well.

Thoughts? Should I push to have him allergy tested? I eat a fair amount of nuts myself, as does my DD. I need to have bloodwork done for him anyway - never did his iron or lead testing at one year...

Also, how long would it likely take for the symptoms, if nuts are the offender, to stop? He hasn't played with acorns nor eaten anything with nuts or even trace amounts for over 48 hours now. He finally did not poop today and the hives look less angry. HOPING he sleeps tonight...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 18:38:08 pm by Mom to M&M »
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: WDYT - Tree Nut Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:31:23 am »
Hey Karen!!  I'm gonna say that there is a good possibility of allergy.  No clue how/when nut allergy testing is done, but if it can be done with blood, go for it.  I checked Zyrtec and Claritin.  Both are for age 2 and up.  The Benadryl dose is 6.25mg for your little guy's age.  Then you get to weigh hives vs maybe having a wired kidlet.  Do the hives bug him? 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:56:09 am »
Testing would depend on the Dr. or allergist you see...ours only does testing for known reactions and did skin prick testing first and then blood tests. Both were negative, but she still failed a food challenge, so we have to avoid for now.  She was just over 18 months when they did the tests, but I've heard of kids as young as 10 months getting tested.
Heidi

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:26:42 am »
Thanks guys! Jenn - the hives don't seem to bug him but the correlating NWs (we are guessing from stomachache) do. At least last night was better. Restless from 11:30-12:30 but otherwise slept and no screaming. Will call doctor today...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:38:51 am »
Hi there,

I'm pretty sure in the US they will be able to do tree nut testing at his age.  Sounds like a wtrong possiblility for it.  Wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution and assume that is what is going on for the time being.

Were you able to get an appointment? 

Let us know how things progress!   :-*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:22:39 am »
Tried to reach Ped today but we played phone tag. Will make sure to reach him tomorrow. Really thinking something is up - was trying to be super careful today but while shopping at Whole Foods he was hungry and crying and not wanting the snacks I'd brought. So after reading the ingredients i bought him a scone from the bins there. Ingredients listed said nothing about nuts BUT shortly thereafter he got hives by his right eye. And took a shorter than expected nap and was crying 30 minutes after going to bed. Sigh... Maybe the whole trace amounts thing? Or something else?

Talked to my brother tonight and he clarified that he tested positive to tree nuts, inconclusive to peanuts (meanwhile my niece is anaphylactic to peanuts and pretty severely allergic to tree nuts too). He said his main symptom is crippling stomach pains. He also gets an itchy throat as a warning sign.

My poor little man...

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:21 am »
Oh gosh, poor little guy.  ((((( hugs )))))) to both of you!   

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:42 am »
Thanks. He was moaning/crying again for a few minutes 3 hours later. I have Benadryl by my bedside in case...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Re: WDYT - Tree Nut Allergy? - UPDATE
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 18:41:06 pm »
So I did talk to my Ped this morning and he was concerned and wanted me to see an allergist ASAP - he recommended one in particular. I called right away and got lucky - there is a cancellation for this Thursday afternoon. I'll have to juggle some things with regards to DD (someone else to pick her up at the bus in the afternoon for example) but we'll make it work. What should I expect at the appointment? They did warn me that it CAN take up to 2-3 hours for the first visit and not to give Benadryl (or any antihistamine) for at least 3 days prior.

Dreading the appt and how upset DS will be (plus DH is away for work until Friday morning) but glad to be able to maybe get some answers soon...

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 18:55:19 pm »
Good luck for his appointment! Hoping you find out some answers!

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 19:44:42 pm »
Good luck, Hun! I have no idea what the experience will be like, but I really hope that you can get some answers. Maybe it isn't the nuts at all (although it does sound like a likely culprit) but rather a common ingredient in the scone and the bars. Hopefully you will find out soon!
Amy

scarlettsmom

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 00:08:18 am »
That's great news about the Thursday appointment!

Since they are telling you to stay away from antihistimines I would think they intend to do a scratch test, a little pinprick with the offending food.  They may also want to draw blood. 

Good luck!

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 00:25:40 am »
Hope you get the answers you need!

Good luck in the meantime until Thusrday!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 00:50:44 am »
Thanks guys... Will keep everyone posted. In the meantime, today was the first day in a while with no new hives or explosive diapers. Also the first day in a while that I know for a fact that he ate nothing with nuts or trace amounts or even made on a factory with nuts. And this morning at the park I was kicking acorns away so he couldn't try to grab them LOL. Hoping we all get some sleep tonight and down to the bottom of this soon.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:58:59 am »
Just venting here... Though was super careful the last few days. And after my last post above on Tuesday he did sleep well that night. Yesterday he ate:

B: strawberries and mini bagel with cream cheese
L: homemade turkey patty with zucchini and carrots, applesauce, homemade granola bar (I made it from a nut free recipe)
S: goldfish crackers, blueberries
D: pizza, cantaloupe

So I thought totally safe. But then he was up from 11:45-2am. Off/on crying/moaning, etc. I never had to go in but was of course awake the whole time. Then he slept till 7:20 this morning. When I go in to get him I see his face has a LOT of hives and there is also one on his wrist. WTF? The pizza? He's always been fine with milk, cheese, etc. ARGH. Thank goodness allergist is today.