Author Topic: WDYT - Tree Nut Allergy? - UPDATE  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: WDYT - Tree Nut Allergy? - UPDATE
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 18:33:37 pm »
So she reacted that strongly to the patch testing but negative to any skin prick tests? Wow. Did your "regular" allergist do the skin patch testing?

Where in US are you? NJ here...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
OK so the allergist didn't call back from a phone message on the office line back on the 6th. BUT we totally eliminated all gourd family items (he'd been eating zucchini and cantaloupe regularly, in addition to the occasional pumpkin/squash). Things seemed much better - hives slowly cleared, eating got better, mood improved greatly.

However, yesterday at lunch he had an Earth's Best apple toddler cereal/snack bar. He proceeded to take a slightly shorter nap than usual (though not horrible) and woke very cranky and with a red cheek. Rest of the afternoon was cranky/clingy and he ate poorly at dinner and woke early this morning with some hives on his right cheek/near his right eye. Almost like the more mild reaction from cantaloupe or zucchini (as opposed to the super strong reaction from winter squash or pumpkin). No idea what the culprit could be from the bar. Certainly not apples as he eats apples and applesauce all the time. Guessing one of the fillers/starches? Argh.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 12:27:31 pm »
Well, it could be two (or more) allergies. I would continue to cut out those gourd family things, and see if you can get a list of the ingredients for those bars. If they aren't on the wrapper or box (which they should be), then you can call and ask. Then you can start the whole search again, for another culprit. Sucky, but at least you will have a list to start from this time!

Any chance of calling the allergist back? Seems rude to leave a message unreturned for so long...
Amy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 12:41:42 pm »
Thanks Amy! Yea I have the ingredients from the box of cereal bars. And reading it I just don't know what the culprit is. Nothing from the gourd family so we're looking at something different. And since it's not an immediate reaction IMHO the allergist won't be of help. I guess if it continues with other foods I'll call the person my friend used - maybe I'll like him/her better...

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 12:46:42 pm »
I would say try this other person for sure. Someone must have a way of detecting more slow acting allergies!
Amy