Author Topic: kind of snot/catarrh/gunk in nose and back of throat..intollerance?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline suca

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • ~Suz~
since DS3 was about a week old, he had alot of gunk at back of nose/throat, it has not cleared at all and he is now nearly 6 weeks old.  It sometimes causes him some discomfort when eating, when this happens he gets distressed and gulps, which results in trapped air, which then results in more discomfort and pain till he burps.  This doesnt happen every feed, but does happen a couple of times a day. 

In addition to this he does have a lot of wind, though he does give lots of very loud burps, he has a lot of wind below and this can disturb him when he is sleeping.  I wouldnt say he gets dioreah but his stools are very loose.  he is formula fed.

Could this be a dairy intolerance? anyone got any advice?

scarlettsmom

Re: kind of snot/catarrh/gunk in nose and back of throat..intollerance?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:39:21 pm »
Hi there,
Congrats on your newest LO!

Sorry to hear he is having some issues. 

With an intolerance it can be tricky.  Congestion, with loose stools, along with sleep disturbances can certainly be symptoms of an intolerance.  But, it could also just be an adjustment phase.  Milk based formulas can take a bit to get used to for some babies and it's just a matter of waiting it out.  I know my nephew had a really tough time the first couple of months, but then was fine on regular formula.  Are there any other issues?  Any rashes, does it look like any mucous in the stool (like stringy looking), or any dark specks (can indicate blood in the stool which often points to milk allergy, intolerance).

How is he doing now? 

Offline suca

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • ~Suz~
we are still the same..last night was bad.  He was totally congested and he could not feed properly, kept gulping which gave him really bad air bubbles, which caused him pain  :(

I ocassionally notice what I think looks a bit like mucous.

I think I am going to try a HA formula and see if it makes any difference

scarlettsmom

Re: kind of snot/catarrh/gunk in nose and back of throat..intollerance?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 16:53:48 pm »
Aw, sorry he is still not feeling well. If you see mucous along with everything else I would switch to HA too.  It can take couple of weeks, but typically you would see some type of improvement in the first few days.

(((((hugs)))))