Author Topic: TV really bad for kids?  (Read 7763 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 13:56:35 pm »
I remember a loonnggggg time ago when I was a nanny, the lo I took care of watched an episode of "Rugrats"..(Lord how I hated that show), and out of nowhere my little 3 year old friend became TERRIFIED of the bath, because the little brat on the show was afraid he was going to fall down the drain.  Worst part was that the show went thru all these scenes that took place in the child's imagination, with him actually being down the drain in the dark and wet...ARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!! Makes me SO mad.

My dd is not afraid of bugs at all, but recently acted like she was afraid of a spider because Calliou's little sister is afraid of them.  So we had a chat about that, and how Rosie is a just a little baby who doesn't know that spiders are useful.   ::)

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
Re: TV really bad for kids?
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 16:25:09 pm »
I totally agree that the play can come from books as well! That's why I can't decide if tv us good or bad when talking about creative play!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 17:11:29 pm »
TBH, I've gotten fussy about the books we read as well. I don't really care for, say, the storybook versions of the Disney/Pixar movies, but there are lots of great "generic" books that don't really have plots or characters as such (Sandra Boynton comes to mind). There are picture books for every subject under the sun from flowers to construction vehicles that kids can enjoy. There are tons of arts and crafts the kids can be DOING instead of reading or listening to or watching. And there is TONS of good kids' music out there that's not even remotely-Disney-related, even not-written-just-for-kids classical music, that can be playing in the background if one needs to have background "something" going on (although there's a lot ot be said for peace and quiet, or for listening to birds sing).

That said, DH and I have only just introduced Star Wars to our kids. We watched it with them, showed it in smaller chunks, took 4 showings to get thru it, talked about what was going on while it happened, had the kids guess why this or that might have happened, or had them guess what would happen next. It's not a passive viewing at all, but very participatory.

A good storyteller, telling a story "the long way" and not just from a book, is a true gem if you can find one, say at a library or bookstore storytime. Once in a while our Barnes & Noble has a guy who does storytime with no book, just from memory, lots of drama, draws pictures to go with the story as he tells it - no Disney-like anything. A totally different concept of stories than either TV/videos or computer games or even many books.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 17:14:16 pm by deb »

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 19:29:37 pm »
to PP;s point its the kids way of procesisng what they see and hear. DS for a short time suddenly started calling me ' MUM' because of a book he had fallen in love with where the baby monkey is looking for his mum and being an english book it said mum...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 20:19:30 pm »
nd there is TONS of good kids' music out there that's not even remotely-Disney-related, even not-written-just-for-kids classical music,
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to Caspar Babypants.  It is great kid music that I honestly listen to even if the kids aren't around.  Catchy tunes and good upbeat music.  The guy who sings it is from the 90's band The President's Of The United States.

Deb, how lucky you are to have a storyteller like that.  I never even knew that existed.  I am going to look for that.  My guess is there has got to be somewhere in the greater Seattle area that would have that!