Author Topic: Quantity?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline noahgena

• Noah's Mum
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Quantity?
« on: September 23, 2010, 00:49:33 am »
Hi

My DS is just over 5 months and I have been giving him solids for a week now (just baby rice).  He has taken to it like a duck to water so after 3 days I introduced it at dinner time too.  At the end of this week, I plan to try introduce a pureed vegetable.  We are on 4 hour EAS, I breastfeed when he gets up then give solids about 1/2 an hour later.

Each time I feed him, he wolfs it down in no time.  I've read lots on all the different things that I can feed him but nothing on how much I should be giving him?  How do you know how much is enough or too much?  I don't want to underfeed or over feed him? (currently feeding rice at 1 tablespoon rice/3 tablespoons water).

Any advice appreciated

Offline lilybug25

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 00:57:41 am »
I stared out with rice ceral too,  1st morning then added supper then added lunch. I went with 2 teaspoons per feed ( thats 4 baby spoons). I added 1 teaspoon every week till she stopped draining her bottles. I also started with pears ( Tracy recommends it in her book), then went to veggies. I started solids at 4 months it's been 5 months and she eats everything I put in front of her :)

HTH

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:15:07 am »
Hello.  :)  Sounds like you're off to a good start!  The important thing to remember is that milk is still the most important source of nutrition for him, so you want to make sure he is still taking all his milk feeds.  As long as he is getting the appropriate amount of milk, then you can offer him a little more solids.  There are no real rules with how much you can offer, follow his lead and offer him what he wants, as long as his milk intake doesn't decrease.  Hope that helps.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline noahgena

• Noah's Mum
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Quantity?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:07:13 am »
Thanks for the tips.

I'm breastfeeding so it is hard to tell if his milk feeds are less.  Especially at the moment as most breastfeeds are taking ages now as EVERYTHING gets his attention.  He also loves to stop for a chat which is very cute and hard to 'ignore' but means that feeding time is now back to 30-40 minutes or on and off feeding.
I am bottle feeding at the dream feed so maybe I'll use this as a guage.  Last night he drained the whole bottle (240ml or 8oz).  I like the idea of adding a teaspoon at a time so will try this.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:37 am »
It's always hard to figure out how many oz a BF baby drinks, but if he's eating at least 4x day plus the DF then he is probably getting enough milk.  Just make sure you offer milk first so he doesn't fill up on solids.  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:26:51 am by Martina Rae »
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012