Author Topic: Did your M(S)PI baby outgrow the intolerance/allergy and when?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline JMac31

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Did your M(S)PI baby outgrow the intolerance/allergy and when?
« on: September 23, 2010, 17:01:36 pm »
Just wondering, all the info I've read says our lo's will eventually outgrow MSPI, I am just wondering when seems to be typical for this to happen?

Offline ~Sarah~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Re: Did your M(S)PI baby outgrow the intolerance/allergy and when?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 17:08:45 pm »
I have wondered the same thing.

My Ped told me to start introducing milk into me (EBF) at around 9mo and to try with DD cheese and yogurt around 12mo and to hold off on straight cows milk until 18mo.  I am hopeful as it does not seem like DD has the worst case.  If I get a little hidden soy, not a big deal.  Hidden milk makes her a little fussier, but not bad.  I just stay away from all of it as much as I can.

So, I too would like to hear some experiences from others.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 17:39:33 pm »
Our whole family is MPI, adults included. I grew up with cows' milk but in retrospect we also had digestive difficulties we thought were normal, so I don't know if I outgrew it and it came back as an adult or if it never really went away.

Both my girls, now 5 and 8.5, still get horrible gas/wind when they have straight dairy, although they can have yogurt without problems  and small amounts of some cheeses with minimal problems.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 19:09:21 pm »
Just popping on to see what others say - I know that DH used to get a burnt bottom when he ate carrots and citrus fruits (as does DS) and he outgrew the problems when he was around 2 ... DS 20 months now so holding my breath that he follows in his daddy's footsteps ...

I think that age 2 and 7 are the golden ages where children tend to outgrow things, but others have them for life :o(
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 19:14:16 pm »
DD was on HA formula and meds until 14 months., We tried a wean at 9 months, but she was a wreck in less than 48 hours, when we tried again at 14 months she was fine!  I am honestly not convinced she was MPI though....I think maybe "just" horrible reflux? Not sure, since she was treated for both.   :-\

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 19:26:01 pm »
listening in
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 20:24:26 pm »
On Pediatric gastroenterologists advice at 1yr we introduced milk products to my diet, as I was BFing DS2.  2 weeks later, after no reactions, we reintroduced milk to my diet.
2 weeks later after no reaction, he was trialled on cheese/yoghurt.  Then a week later, straight milk.
So all done around around 14 months.

It seems it is most common to start reintroduction with products first and then milk itself last.  The proteins get mutilated during the processing of cheese and yoghurt and so are less obvious to the body.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 13:24:23 pm »
We tried at 12 months & 18 months - no good. Tried again at 2yo and he was fine with butter/yoghurt/cheese and milk cooked into things. He is now 2.25 and I've tried to give him straight cows' milk a couple of times - both times got diarrhoea within a couple of hours. The last time he even told me he had a stomach ache. So we'll be trying straight milk again at 2.5.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 13:14:56 pm »
Mt DS1 had  mild MPI. He was able to eat yoghurt and tasty cheese at 9 months old.  He was able to tolerate goats milk at 1 year old. We purposely didn't expose him to cows milk by 18 months, and gave him A2 when we did.  He was fine with that. Still today he drinks A2 milk. He didn't have any other intolerances that I know of.

Poor old Ds2 is a different case though reacting to pears at 6 months....intolerant to a host of things  and  I wonder how long it will take for him to outgrow everything.  They are telling me the older he gets the more he will tolerate, and exposing them to safe small amounts of the lesser reactive foods helps them to build a tolerance. We will be doing this with help from a dietician.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 13:17:06 pm by EloysH »

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 05:18:19 am »
jumping in here.
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline meltown

• Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 07:01:48 am »
my 2 grew out at 18 months and 12 months.  I had to introduce it all very slowly, but they were ok with it little by little.
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 22:12:46 pm »
We had other things to get into DD's diet (gluten, soy) before we trialled dairy so she was 22 months by the time dietician said we could try. She's been ok with it since then except for dark circles under her eyes which she's had ever since. She loves milk now and until recently was drinking 3x 150ml each day. I would try to make sure that her dairy intake on any one day wasn't too high though - if she had other dairy I'd try and reduce her milk a bit.  In the past month or so she hasn't been asking for milk as much so she's having less - maybe 250ml a day. I have noticed that we sometimes get formed poo on those days (oh, the excitement!) and perhaps her eyes aren't as dark - hard to know. So I think she still has a tolerance level for it but it's not worth cutting out of her diet completely.
Jenny - mama to

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 15:08:35 pm »
Well, Spencer is 2 years and 2 months and just tried for the 4th time (I think) to intro yogurt...it's a no go again, she got a red rashy face, a hive on her hand, lots of gas, allergic shiners, runny nose and is constipated.  All that from probably 3 tbsp of yogurt. I honestly have more hope for her to outgrow the egg allergy than MPI.  Masyn was able to tolerate milk by 11-12 months old, I can't remember if I gave her yougurt/cheese before that.
Heidi

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 01:59:14 am »
We had other things to get into DD's diet (gluten, soy) before we trialled dairy so she was 22 months by the time dietician said we could try. She's been ok with it since then except for dark circles under her eyes which she's had ever since. She loves milk now and until recently was drinking 3x 150ml each day. I would try to make sure that her dairy intake on any one day wasn't too high though - if she had other dairy I'd try and reduce her milk a bit.  In the past month or so she hasn't been asking for milk as much so she's having less - maybe 250ml a day. I have noticed that we sometimes get formed poo on those days (oh, the excitement!) and perhaps her eyes aren't as dark - hard to know. So I think she still has a tolerance level for it but it's not worth cutting out of her diet completely.

There are some schools of thought that maintain that if there's an allergy or intolerance, even a mild one, if it's enough to have a visible symptom (like the allergy shiners), there may also be gut damage going on. Definitely wouldn't push it if she doesn't seem keen - there are good calcium supplements available, and she can get the protein from plenty of non-dairy sources.

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 06:43:26 am »

There are some schools of thought that maintain that if there's an allergy or intolerance, even a mild one, if it's enough to have a visible symptom (like the allergy shiners), there may also be gut damage going on. Definitely wouldn't push it if she doesn't seem keen - there are good calcium supplements available, and she can get the protein from plenty of non-dairy sources.

Yes, I agree. And I should give it a go cutting it out again (though she loves milk so I think it will be tough). Tbh I don't have the energy to do it right now -my head is way to full of trying to figure out DS's intolerances.
Jenny - mama to