Author Topic: What pushed you to start an elimination diet?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline aimeeL

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
What pushed you to start an elimination diet?
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:50:41 am »
I feel like I've forgotten everything since DD1 was a NB... and am starting all over again with DD2...  ::)  Anyways - can't decide whether DD2's occasional fussiness/grunting/pulling-up-legs-and-crying could be something in my diet?? or just par for the course for a newborn... 

So yes - wondering what pushed you to start an elimination diet with your LO?  I mean, what did you see in your child that made you think, "Hmmm... I should try cutting out ____"  And when you DID decide to cut something out, what did you choose and why?  I mean, I don't even know - how long does it take for something you eat to travel into your breast milk and make your LO uncomfy? 

Anyways...TIA... :)

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Re: What pushed you to start an elimination diet?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:57:44 am »
Mucous in LO's poop is a good indicator of a reaction to something you're eating.  That's what pushed me to eliminate things with my DS.  Dairy is probably the most common thing for LO's to react to.  You can also just try keeping a food diary to see if you can correlate certain behaviors to certain foods.

Offline aimeeL

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:09:18 am »
She does have mucousy poops occasionally..   Were you seeing it in every - or almost every - poopy diaper with your DS?  Was he uncomfortable or crying all the time in addition to that?  I can start a food log - good idea.  But how do you correlate what you've eaten with their discomfort?  Do you trace it back to the last meal you ate?  The meal before last?

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:29:45 pm »
I knew without a doubt dd2 had a milk intolerance at 3 weeks old when there was mucous blood specks in her stool.  Even though the peds kept saying it was a virus, I just knew....along with the fussiness, and rashes.  For us eliminating all milk from my diet made a huge difference very quickly, however, she had multiple allergies/intolerances that we found out about later, though milk was the biggie.

A food log is a good idea, but can be tricky.  Reactions can happen immediately, or a couple of days later.  My dd2 took about 24-36 hrs before showing a reaction.

((((hugs))))))

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 12:54:46 pm »
With a family history of food intolerance I was already on the look out, I chose to be dairy and soy free since birth. 

At 3 weeks old I know he had reflux - to me that meant that dairy intolerance was highly likely.  At that time he was showing serious sings of lcatose overload or fermentation of the gut caused by food intolerance.  His symptoms were yellow frothylloud squirty poos, lots of tummy pain and knee pulling up, grunting on and off for an hour after a feed in pain, lots of pain noises deep bearing down grunts after a feed.  Lots of wind.   Under a suggestion of my osteopath he said fermentation of gut due to either temporary lactose overload, yeast or gluten intolerance of all three.  Immediately I started treating the lactose overload.  He got quite a bit better aftyer a few weeks, but still  the symptoms were there.  Then I cut wheat and yeast and all the tummy soreness went.  All the grunting disappeared.    But I was left with the reflux and upper tract pain - gulping, hiccups, nose rubing, physical refluxing, wet burps, different pain noises!!!

A few weeks later I found some very unhappy poos after I ate a 6 egg omelete - spalttered on the nappy , yellow, smelling of eggs and very farty also he was unsettled the whole 24 hours after eating the omelete.  I tried eggs a few more times and the same.  So I cut them out.

We went ok for a motnh or so until I noticed that his poos had turned green and mucusy with stringy bits in them and he was sooo unsettled at the same tim with a sore tummy.  I thought about salicylates, - DH is sensitive to them.  I knew I was eating large quanitities of high sals foods (inplace of everything else I couldn't eat). So I decided to go on the RPAH elimination diet  - that's the best way to test for natural food chem sensitivities, its very hard to tease it all apart, as the reactions are delayed and occur after eating a range of foods, not just one food like eggs.

Here we are  a few months later and confirmed through food challenge that he is salicylate sensitive.

HTH