Author Topic: 13 hour road trip with 14 mo  (Read 3237 times)

Offline adamdad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
13 hour road trip with 14 mo
« on: September 26, 2010, 17:30:26 pm »
Hello,

We're planning to go by car from Nantes, France to Salzburg Austria in a couple of weeks. Our baby is 14 months old now.
The trip is about 1400 km, around 13 hours!

He can fall asleep in the car and is a very good sleeper. This summer we did several 4 hour trips with him (he was sleeping most of the time). This time he would need to spend the whole night in the car seat.
The plan is to drive for 4-5 hours during his first nap, then stop for 3-4 hours to play then continue during the night.

What do you think? Is it too crazy to try? Do you think a baby can spend and entire night in a car seat?

Thank you
Balint

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: 13 hour road trip with 14 mo
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 18:56:07 pm »
We have done a 9+ hour trip twice with DS (once as a baby before he could crawl and then when he was 16 months) - we played it by ear, just stopping for meals (also were prepared to stay overnight if we felt DS needed it) .... we only stopped 3 or maybe 4 times (each way) and made sure that DS got a good run around at each stop.  We are lucky that DS LOVES vehicles and spent the whole time asking for more lorries!!  In fact he was so excited he hardly slept either way ... but he was fine on the journey.  We have lots of snacks for him for when he got grumpy and a few toys (not that he really looked at them as he was so busy traffic-watching!!!).

My advice would be just to play it by ear on the day and stop when needed.  We did it during the day as it is easier going on the driver (I don't like motorway driving so DS does it all!!) and it meant to DS was in a bed for bedtime as normal.  We set off around 9am to avoid rush hour and just kept going - arriving for a quick bath then bed.

Good luck - I love Salzburg :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline adamdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 14:57:25 pm »
Hi!
Thanks for the reply! You are right, it's better to leave as early as possible so if he's fed up sitting in his seat we can stop and take him out. It would be harder to do the same at 2 am!

He can stay max 1 hour in the car unless he's sleeping. Once he napped 3 hours in the car, while he usually slept only 45 minutes!
If leave early we might even arrive before midnight but I doubt it would be that smooth. We did that before. We arrived around 11 at night when he was already sleeping in the car. We put him in his new bad and continued to sleep till morning!

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 18:00:58 pm »
We drove 12 hrs to visit my IL's recently, and it was ok. Nathan was as good as gold the way there, even though he is very active. We stopped every hour or two to let him walk around, and I often sat in the back seat with him so he was entertained. We also borrowed a portable dvd player and tv to strap to the back of DH's seat, but the battery only lasted for 30 min at a time so it only helped once in a while. On the way back he was not as good, and cried pretty much solidly for the last 3 hrs... we just had to keep on driving. We left super early in the morning, like 5 am, so that he would drift off to sleep again in the carseat. I would say bring lots of easy foods like crackers and fruit, bring kid's music and be prepared to sing along, bring a few new books and toys to keeo him entertained, and just do what you can until you get there. Good luck!
Amy

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 18:08:05 pm »
I forgot to say that I also sat in the back for a little while with DS so I could chat to him a bit more, which may help your LO - although, Mummy wasn't as interesting as lorries, buses, etc etc so I tended to stay in the front after that!!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline adamdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:15:32 am »
Hi!

Thanks for the ideas! I started burning some CDs with his favorite music. We got snacks, toys, books and dad and mum ready. So far his more into airplanes than lorries unfortunately!
We pack everything tonight and will try to leave as early as possible tomorrow.
Do you think it would be better to leave around 5 a.m. as you said? You would leave him in his pyjamas or change him?

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 07:26:46 am »
Personally I would wait until he is awake in the morning and had breakfast, etc, etc - we recently flew abroad and had to waken DS around 5am and he was a misery that day .... depends on your LO though.  Good luck with the trip :)

Offline adamdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:31:27 am »
Thanks!

As I thought about more, I came to the same conclusion. First of all, when we decide to leave at 5 a.m. in practice it will be more like 7 or 8...
Also DS starts to come out of deep sleep around 5:30-6 am. Sometimes he would wake around 6:30. We'll let him sleep as long as he can, then play a little bit to release his energy.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 07:34:18 am »
Sure it wont be as bad as you think but good you are prepared just incase - remember it's just one day in the car (either way) ... and you get to go to lovely Salzburg :)

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 16:50:23 pm »
Just thought I would post my thread from this summer.  We did a 10.5hr road trip overnight with our 10 month old and it actually wasn't that bad!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173748.0
-Nadia

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 18:38:07 pm »
remember to let us know how it goes :)

Offline adamdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 18:53:17 pm »
Of course i'll post the 'resume'. We're leaving tomorrow morning! We're just packing our stuff...
It seems from you wrote that it should go okay. Thank you for the support!

Offline adamdad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 15:07:27 pm »
Hi!

So how was the trip? Great!

We never thought that it could be so smooth! I think no other child or grown-up for that matter could have handled it better!

It went so well, that I decided to not to stop at Salzburg at 5 a.m. but continue all the way to Pécs, Hungary! So instead of 1400 km we did 2100 in a total of 25 hours! The final destination was Hungary but we we would have been happy to make it to Salzburg. Finally we did it all in one go.

Bringing a lot of snacks was a great idea. It kept him occupied and as long as there's food in his tummy he never complains!. Otherwise he slept almost exactly like at home. 1.5 hours nap in the afternoon and from 8p.m to 7a.m.
We stopped two times during the day to let him play and once in the morning for a breastfeed.

He must have felt our enthusiasm too that made him so relaxed. We were happy to go on a trip, see old friends and family so there was a good fun ambiance in the car!

That's it. On the way back we will probably stop at Salzburg and maybe even in Paris. It's a great excuse to visit some friends and some nice places. For now parked the car and will not touch for a week...

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 15:26:08 pm »
FANTASTIC NEWS! Hope you are having a great trip and that the journey home goes as well ..... :)

Offline Soofusato

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:28:20 pm »
I have been sick on a rough trip on the Big E on more than one occasion.  I just get it over with and barf and get back to fishing.  Staying outside in the open air helps and  I have found that if you take Bonine before the rough ride...you dont get sick at all. 

The 80 hour trip sounds like a lot of time on the water, but its one fun adventure.  I wish I could make this trip but I cant.
Offtop, I'm a happy user of
http://www.ps2netdrivers.net/review/d-link.dgl-4100/
:-P