Author Topic: Meals for 10 month old?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline CrimpleDimple

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 28, 2010, 00:17:05 am »
I'm sorry if there is somewhere I can find more information on this but I've been looking around I feel like I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for. What kind of foods should I incorporate in breakfast, lunch and dinner for my 10 month old? I feel like I'm not giving him well-rounded meals. What does/did your little one eat around this age? My son will be 11 months on the 9th of next month. He doesn't allow me to spoon feed him and he can't spood feed himself either. Also, should I already be encouraging self feeding right now? If so, how do I fit this into his meal with him also being able to get the food in his tummy as well?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Meals for 10 month old?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 00:54:06 am »
We did lots of pasta based dishes around this time. Mac n' cheese with soft cooked veggies. You can get those tiny pastas, like pastina, and put sauce and other things with it. We also did a lot of chicken based meals b/c chicken is easy to chew. Ground beef is also easy, and if you cook pork well and it is tender that is easy enough to chew as well.

Most things can be eaten by hand. Veggies can be cut into strips and baked so they are softer and served like "fingers" for easy grabbing and gnawing.

Even oatmeal and cereal based breakfasts can be hand fed if thick enough. Gross, but your LO may love it. You can do french toast or pancakes as well (check when your doctor wants you to intro. eggs if you haven't already before doing french toast, etc.)

cheese and crackers. Some lunch meat, like turkey. yogurt is great. This is the age where you can start introducing meals that you yourself would eat in smaller bites and just ensuring there are no "danger" foods that are likely to cause allergic reactions, etc. Even fish like salmon, tilapia, flounder, tuna, should be okay.

Lots of fruit can be for breakfast or snacks. Muffins are fantastic.

I'll try to think of more.

For feeding....you can try to give him two utensils so his hands are occupied and he is trying to feed himself and then give yourself one and try to feed him as well. Put some on his tray/area and give yourself another small bowl. More to clean up, but more may get into him.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:08:13 am »
Nicole has some great suggestions!!  At 10mos old your LO can pretty much eat anything you eat, minus the few no-nos that you should wait a year for (milk as a drink, honey, peanut butter, and other allergenic food if there is a family history of allergies).  You just want to avoid added salt.  So you can really give him everything you prepare for yourself before you add salt or some seasonings.  Finger foods are great at this age because most babies aren't interested in being spoon-fed anymore.  And just about anything can be a finger food, even if it's messy!  ;)
See here for more tips:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0
And you might find some more ideas for foods here:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=10.0
Re: using a spoon, my DS is only really good with a spoon now at 2yo, but I pretty much always gave him his own with every meal.  Practice makes perfect. ;)
:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Meals for 10 month old?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:10:59 am »
Re: using a spoon, my DS is only really good with a spoon now at 2yo, but I pretty much always gave him his own with every meal.  Practice makes perfect. Wink

DD still stinks at a spoon and is better with a fork. Even now at 2 she is kinda not the most coordinated kid on the block with finer motor tasks such as scooping with utensils. Meals are MESSY here. I give them anyway as Martina said, for practice! She'll get better one day I swear!