Author Topic: 10 mth old won't drink much-what to feed her???  (Read 860 times)

Offline abaker89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
10 mth old won't drink much-what to feed her???
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:33:35 am »
My 10 mth old has lots of feeding issues due to severe reflux.  She has been nursing 3-4 times a day (only when she goes to sleep) until about 3 weeks ago.  She had been doing very well this way cause she would fall asleep and nurse a bunch while asleep.  Now she will nurse some days but other days (like today), she nursed just once for about 5 min.  We have been unable to get more than about 12 oz in by cup so I am very worried that she isn't drinking enough.  Any ideas on how to get her to drink more??  She hates the bottle and regular sippy.  She will drink from the straw cup but only small amounts.

She will eat yogurt and cottage cheese (usually 2 tsp at lunch and at dinner) but is this enough??  I know she isn't a year yet so we can't replace milk with yogurt or cheese yet but she is close and I just don't know how else to get calories in.  She usually eats 2 solid meals which include:

1 tsp green veggie
1 tsp orange veggie
2 tsp yogurt or cottage cheese
4-5 small bites of avocado
3-4 small bits of cheese
10-15 O's cereal

I could really use some advice or tricks.  We have pretty much exhausted all the medical routes to help her reflux so I just need to find ways to keep her hydrated and growing.  The ped GI has not said she needs tube feeding or anything but it has come up and we certainly don't want to do that.

Thanks,
Aileen

Offline muddyfeet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • New Apron
Re: 10 mth old won't drink much-what to feed her???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:03:25 am »
I've had to supplement my LOs liquids using wet fruits, like melon, frozen berries, and finely chopped grapes. That helped keep her wet enough to avoid constipation. Have you tried any of these? Most LOs love fruit because it's sweet. But it also has fiber and nutrients, where fruit juice doesn't have the fiber she needed.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: 10 mth old won't drink much-what to feed her???
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 22:01:40 pm »
(((hugs))) Aileen, worrying about whether or not our kid's are getting proper nutrition is so stressful.  What does her paed say about it?  Is she still gaining well, happy, healthy, meeting all milestones?  I think you are doing a good job trying to get a balanced nutrition into her.  Keep encouraging the BFding and maybe even visit the BFding boards maybe for some ideas on how to get her taking more.  As far as the sippy cup goes, my DS didn't start drinking from it properly until a year, even though I gave him one every day from 6mos.  So keep offering it and hopefully she will get the hang of it.  What do you put in the sippy? 

What about trying a smoothie?  You can add all sorts of healthy things like fruits, vegetables, and yogurt.  I would avoid using juice though, maybe just use water or milk.  There are other types of milks you can try since she is not ready for cow's milk just yet, like almond milk (unsweetened) or coconut milk (has lots of good fats).  Add coconut oil or unsalted butter to her foods to help increase fat intake.  Avocados as well are really high in good fats, so if she likes those you can mash some up for her (they're great mixed with banana, pear, or blueberry), or even add them to the smoothie.

Has she tried any meat yet?  Now might be a good time to try to introduce it slowly.

Is she maybe teething at the moment?  It might be why she is not keen with BFding at the moment.  You could try meds 30mins before her feed and see if it helps.

Milk is still the most important thing for her, so definitely keep encouraging her to BF.  I know you said you've tried everything for reflux, do you feel it is controlled?  What is she on now for it?

More (((hugs))), got to go now as DS2 just woke up, but will keep trying to help.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012