Author Topic: 6mo struggling with solids, wants to only eat pear...is that ok?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline arabesque

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Hi everyone :)

DS2 is 6mo and following paed's advice, has been on solids since 4.5mo, primarily to get Losec into him. He vomits up everything, all day long, and seems in a lot of pain. He cries a lot and is unsettled, and good naps come and go. Today was a poor nap day. He isn't interested in solids anymore (I think because eating causes him to vomit/pain) and basically the only thing he wants to open his mouth for is pear. He's also medically constipated but nothing I do relieves this. He does little bullet poos every few days. He spends a lot of the day passing wind and straining with no avail. He's breastfed during the day with formula DF. (if you have time please check out my other thread in breastfeeding section and leave me some advice there too).

Is it okay to only give pear? Three meals a day (this is what he's used to, I don't think he's having enough milk to cut back). Or should I persevere with vegies?

Thanks
DS1 July 2007; DS2 April 2010; DD September 2014

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: 6mo struggling with solids, wants to only eat pear...is that ok?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:50 am »
My DS did that as well.

I would only offer pears once a day and persist with offering different flavours - that is what solids at this age is about - experiences and practise - and there is no benefit to 3 pear meals a day. And trust me he will get fed up of that pretty fast (and then you end up with nothing to hide your meds in either - BTDT!)

If your DS is puking too much to do soilds you might need a prokinetic medication. My DS went on domperidone and I had to increase the milk to solids spacing to 2 hrs before he would even try.

At 6 mths I would also introduce everything as a finger food as well as a purée - som refluxers never accept spoon feeding as they need to be in control to control thier pain.

J was eating fish fingers at 11 mths but still wouldn't open his mouth for anything but pear on a spoon. He essentially weaned to finger foods in the end.

I would visit the idea of a PPI plus prokinetic with your paed - that should help to empty the milk from his tummy faster.

HTH