Author Topic: Technology for toddlers  (Read 1889 times)

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 05, 2010, 13:03:15 pm »
Hi,

Ds is 19mo and I'm wondering how to 'police' his use of the ipod.  We made a conscious decision to buy him an ipod because we do a lot of air travel and some of it long haul.  We're not really into that kind of thing for kids (he rarely watches dvds or cartoons and we don't even have a tv in the house) but thought it would be useful to allow us a bit of rest on long journeys as he's an active boy who rarely sits still. 

We've had it a few months, but now he's really starting to learn how to use it properly and he's realised how much interesting stuff there is on it and he throws a MAJOR tantrum if we take it away before he's ready.  So far he's only had it for about 10mins a day roughly 3 days a week but this last week he had a couple of longer sessions because I was tired and had no childcare.  Left to his own devices he would easily play with it for 30-45 mins.  That's too much in my opinion and I'd prefer if it was less than 15 mins roughly 3 days a week. 

He throws mini tantrums regularly every day (I guess he's getting closer to the terrible twos!) but they're usually so minor in comparison, just a matter of seconds or a couple of minutes before he calms down.  But the ipod tantrums are crazy, he works himself up into a frenzy and then he just can't seem to calm down because he's way too emotional. 

Our plan was just to stick to the 10min rule, but now I'm wondering if it's just unrealistic to expect him to handle it, perhaps the ipod is just way too stimulating and enticing for a child so young.  We have discussed various options: putting it away until he's older (until he has shown self control in other areas and has a little more experience with limits and boundaries) and only bringing it out for travel as was the intention; only letting him have it one day a week for as long as he likes and also for travel (we think this is probably the worst option!); or sticking to the 10min 3x a week and go through the tantrums.  But we just can't decide what the best course of action is.  We are first time parents so we've no experience to draw on!

Has anyone else had experience of policing use of technology with toddlers?  Any advice? 

Do you think he could learn the 10min thing at 19mo?  Or would it be better to put it away until he's older and has more self control - if so, roughly what age would this be?

Thanks!  Lia

Offline MommytoJashn

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • The Naughty Naugthy Girl !!
Re: Technology for toddlers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 18:42:24 pm »
J has been an aderant user of the iPod and now the iPad.
90 percent of the time she spends on it is watching rhymes and children songs.
She has it every day for fifteen to 20 mins supervised by us but she chooses activities her self.

We recently bought few really good applications

Drawing,
Alphabets
Animal sounds

With these she spending te more constructively or so I think! Lol!

I feel technology will be an important part of their lives and it's okie to know and use them

But yes controlling the time limit is difficult! Tantrums are a part of it !

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 17:23:53 pm »
Personally I don't think it is fair to limit it in spurts that at that age. I just think they have a harder time understanding that - I would either allow him to have it at his will or put it away and not have it at all, no matter what the toy is.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 18:55:03 pm »
I would tend not to limit it either but offer it at times when you know a natural end will be coming as that is easier to accept than it being finished just because IYKWIM. 

So offer it before a meal time or heading out or bathtime so you can say '5 more minutes of ipod then its time for x'.  My DD was always much more prepared to give up a preferred activity if it was because we were moving onto another activity and it saved a lot of drama! 

Offline delancepants

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:25 am »
Thanks for your comments guys.  Great to hear your advice.  We've decided to go with a total ban on the ipod at the moment as we feel that it's just too stimulating and enticing for him to be able to manage his emotions when we say time to stop.  We are working on limits with other toys/activities as they occur naturally during the day and I think we'll get back to the ipod at a later stage.