Author Topic: what do you do with your toddler on wet days  (Read 2401 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
what do you do with your toddler on wet days
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:33:11 am »
 ::)
Help! Feeling totally uninspired as to what to do inside on wet days. H is such an outdoor man and tbh we do go out even in the rain but some days, like today it is just sooooo grim. I have just given in to the TV and it is only 9.30am. Please - any ideas for thngs you do with your lo...especially if they are spirited boys  ;)

bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
Re: what do you do with your toddler on wet days
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:38:12 am »
Following along too....! Although the rain has stopped here and its looking like we might have some nice sunshine - hope it makes it's way over to you too!!  :D

I have trouble getting Ollie to sit still long enough to do anything crafty -  wonder if he's a bit young for it all yet really?  :-\

TV on here too  ::)
Catherine x

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:39:21 am »
yes craft literally lasts about 5 mins. I feel I should do it more but it is such a palava and he is not really that interested.
Hard isn't it x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:15 am »
Exactly, you have all the prep for 2 minutes of entertainment, going to make a bit more of an effort though ;)
Catherine x

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:54:57 am »
cooking?? not that we have wet days - but we have too hot days!! we make pancakes - like today it is quite humid so we made pancakes this morning - good fun, I flip we eat, make another we eat - so by the time the batter is finished an hour or so has passed :)

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:02:43 am »
I've copied something mashi does.  I have a tub that has a mixture of differnt lentils / pasta shapes / some buttons / rice/ ice cube tray - we go hunting through the kitchen drawers and cupboards for different things.  Then spoons, a funnel, a pair of tweezers / little pots etc then pour it onto a tray and andrew sits and scoops and pours and sorts and sits and scoops and pours and sits and scoops and pours for ages. 
I do it in the kitchen where we can easily sweep up!  Really good fine motor skills too.

Alex

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:26:53 am »
That's a great idea, I'm going to try that later when I need him occupied while I do stuff in the kitchen!
Catherine x

MummyToBen

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:00 am »
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=109895.0

guessing you've already looked - but thought I'd post it just in case

Ben plays with his cars, jumps on me and the bed (he calls it "roll on Mummy" time  :P), we play hide and seek, I get him running up and down the living room or around the house doing little 'jobs', we go to the supermarket specifically for him to run around(!)....and he will also watch a dvd, and we also go a little bit stir crazy  ::) :P

I remember another great thread about this last winter - will try and look for it
xx

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:07:19 am »
As Alex said above I have a bucket with rice, lentils, tiny pasta stars/ABCs, dried beans, etc and little jars, yogurt pots, plastic spoons, funnels, etc and I spread it out on a bedsheet on the living room floor and we scoop and dump, drive cars through it, etc etc.

We watch a lot of TV - I'm not against it and that's what rainy days are for! I let him watch his normal shows (Playhouse Disney) on the laptop which is a huge treat for him for some reason, even though it's the same stuff as on the big TV!

I pull a chair up to the kitchen sink and put plastic pots, spoons, etc in and let him play with water.

We have a couple of toys that only come out on rainy days - a motorcycle racetrack that you use remote controls to drive them, a tent/tunnel, some blocks, and so on - nothing special about them just that we save them for rainy days.

We do housecleaning when we are stuck in - we are out from wake up until bed on sunny days and almost as long on nice enough days so when rain strikes it is a chance to catch up on housework and DS helps me out with that.  I give him an wold Windex bottle with water and vinegar in it and a drop of green food colour so he thinks it's the same as mine ::) and a roll of paper towels and he squirts the kitchen to death and dries it all off - saves me a job!!!

Offline kel2y

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:38:02 am »
Hi
I make a tunnel with the cushions from the sofa and a big blanket. DD loves this, it sometimes changes into a den. She loves playing with play doh which is great for rainy days. She also loves hide and seek.
For boys I would suggest some sort of soft type play with the sofa cushions, blankets etc...  good luck :~)

Offline ikesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two angels walking this plane
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:08:58 am »
Keaton loves dancing so we turn the music up and dance (i can get of housework done at the same time. We still have the school runs even in rainy days so we are out splashing in puddles for a bit. Hearing is too young for hide and deal but lives a game of case alternate my reward for catching with a kids attack ortickles. K also loves singing sings with lots of actions. Did more play groups than ever before last week when the weather here was really miserable.