Author Topic: Processed/deli meats?  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 06:01:53 am »
Lots of other things to watch out for with nitrates, too. Basically anything that is a colour it shouldn't be - so dried apricots that are orange are full of nitrates, you should buy the ones that are dark brown (no nitrates to keep their colour).  In England there was only one place I could find nitrate free apricots, here I have not had any luck at finding them at all.

Pate, well, needless to say in Europe you can't get away from the stuff! LOL!  Many different styles and varieties of it here compared to England and there is always some in our fridge. I hadnt thought about nitrates in pate though, so I will have to have a look at labels for them....pate is one of those things though that I choose to look at the good rather than the bad - such a huge source of iron and DS is picky with meats (unless it is mortadella or deli turkey) that I am happy enough to get the iron into him even if it comes with some downfalls. 

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 21:32:43 pm »
We get unsulpharised dried apricots (very ugly brown looking lol) at any major grocery store chain in the health food section.  In London I used to get them in Sainsburys or Waitrose in same section.

Karen:  xoxoxo

I adore pate, I would indulge more if I were younger!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »
Sorry, yes it is sulphites in dried fruit not nitrates that prevent them from turning brown.  (I agree the apricots look horrid when brown but after buying those ones for so long now I see bright lovely orange ones and I cringe!)

But I'm lost on the pate, Aisling - what does age have to do with it????

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 16:26:19 pm »
LOL Mashi, just worrying about getting old and being in the risk for heart attack age group.  So basically all I can eat now is fruit and veg (no salt of course!) and lots of fibre.  ;-)

Offline Mashi

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 17:11:02 pm »
Ahhhhhhh gotcha! 

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Processed/deli meats?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 17:40:36 pm »
LOL Mashi, just worrying about getting old and being in the risk for heart attack age group.  So basically all I can eat now is fruit and veg (no salt of course!) and lots of fibre.  ;-)

Sorry, not meaning to hijack, but really? Oh, and not all salt is created equal. The refined stuff in most groceries isn't so great, but sea salt is better, has minerals refined salt doesn't.

OK, back to the deli meat thread. :)