Author Topic: Is 9 mths too young to be a fussy eater?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline sianie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 101
  • My little monkeys....
« on: October 11, 2010, 19:51:48 pm »
Hi ladies!

DS just turned 9 mo last....we started introducing solids at 6 mths & he seemed to be ok to start with. As time has gone on he seems to be becoming more & more fussy about what he eats. I have tried introducing more textured food (mashed not pureed) & different food e.g. meat, cheese etc & he just pulls a face & spits it out. I've been taking it really slowly with him & not made a fuss if he hasn't liked something, just tried again a few days later.

He doesn't seem to mind eating purees (mainly veg/fruit combo's) & he loves yoghurt. He will eat some finger food such as rice cakes but again doesn't seem too interested.

Am I worrying about nothing? I know that up to 12mths feeding solids is more about getting them used to food etc but my DD was a great eater from the start so this is unknown territiry for me!

TIA!  :)
Sian

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Is 9 mths too young to be a fussy eater?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:58:33 am »
You know sianie, I am worried that my DS2 will not be nearly as interested in solids as DS1 was!  And we haven't even really started!  It's hard when all you have to compare is your first child.  But I'm going to say what I will probably be telling myself in a few months.  ;)  Don't worry, I don't think there's any reason to at this point.  It's not like he is refusing everything, it does sound like there are things he likes.  Keep offering what he likes, and keep offering new things.  Chances are what he likes now he won't later, and what he doesn't like now may be his favourite in a month.   ::)  As long as he's still getting all his milk, and he's happy and healthy, it's not a big deal if he doesn't eat with a lot of gusto.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline sianie

• My little monkeys....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 18:54:07 pm »
Thanks Martina!  :)

It is hard after having a good eater (I know I've been lucky!), to know what's 'normal'. I've certainly got no issues with his weight etc so will carry on as I have been & hope that he'll come round!!  ::)
Sian

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 18:57:26 pm »
I had the opposite in that Ozzie was my fussy one so I was amazed when Emma started gumming on our grown up food from 6 or 7 mths!

I totally recommend BLW- there is a thread on here.

I bypassed the purees and mash almost completely x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 19:15:36 pm »
Here is the BLW thread:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0 and the support thread:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=175926.0
I think I will do more BLW this time around.  With T I did a bit of both, but I have this sneaking suspicion that F isn't going to want to be spoon-fed much.  :P  Plus, I certainly don't have the time to prepare the same purees as I did for T!   ::)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline sianie

• My little monkeys....
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 19:33:52 pm »
Thanks ladies!

I have tried some finger food, but think you both might be right & I need to look into BLW more  ;)

With DD I cooked up a storm with purees etc but DS has drawn the short straw this time round!!!
Sian