Author Topic: MPI..can they develop SPI too?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline bakershaker

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
MPI..can they develop SPI too?
« on: September 25, 2010, 16:23:07 pm »
My DD has a MPI that she's pretty much had from birth that we just discovered 2 weeks ago. She's been on soy ever since, and she is a completly different child. She was throwing up 10+ times a day and was fussy most of her awake time. After the switch to soy, she is no longer throwing up and is no longer fussy. However, this past few days she has started throwing up again and I've noticed she has a small rash on her face after she has bottles. She seems a tad fussier, but she is also getting a new tooth, which could explain the fussiness....
So My question is I've heard that 70% of babies who have a MPI also have a SPI. Can they develop it over time? Because shes been fine with soy, and now it seems to maybe be bothering her? Could she have just developed this intolerence in the past 2 weeks?
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
Re: MPI..can they develop SPI too?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:34:31 am »
I'd say that it could just be the tooth, but also it's quite likely that you've reached her tolerance for soy. She might be able to tolerate a little, but not in large amounts so that's why it appears to have just developed, but actually it's just that there's a threashold that she's crossed.
Where I live the next step is hypoallergenic formula. Sorry, not sure if you're in Canada or US but in any case someone who lives where you do would be best at explaining what formulas are available and how you get them if you need them.
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 05:02:29 am »
Yes Jenny is right, it may take a few days for her intolerance to soy to kick in, food intolerance effects are not immediate and can show straight away (for very sensitive bubs) or take weeks of eating/drinking the problem food to show up (least sensitive bubs).   

For example, Ds1 was MPI but by 9 months could tolerate the lesser dairy foods like cheese and butter but not milk.  By 12 months he could tolerate goat milk.

If I eat wheat in the form of bread, I need to eat two slices a day for 2 days until Ds2 starts showing signs of food intolerance.   So all bubs are different, and each has a different threshold of tolerance.

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:13:04 am »
Oh dear! This frightens me. It all seems so confusing! I guess my only option is to wait it out a few days and see if her throwing doesn't get any better, and then make the switch to hypoallergenic and go from there? I'm going to make an appointment with her Dr. for the end of the week so I can monitor it for a few days...she was 100% better and a entire different baby the day we switched to soy 2 weeks ago..so now that she is fussing again and throwing up..it makes me think the soy bugs her belly now. I'm just going to hope it's her teething rather then the soy intolerence...I'll keep you posted!
Thanks so much ladies, I'm clueless in this area!

LucysMommy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:10:54 am »
Hi Lisa,
Just wondering what has happened with your LO.
My DD was diagnosed with MPI about 2 weeks ago, and my dr. also recommended switching to soy milk when I am not able to breastfeed.  She is now 13 months - I can't believe this went on so long without me figuring it out :-(  She mostly seems to have a lot of tummy discomfort especially at night, resulting in LOOOONG nightwakings.  After taking her off dairy, her nightwakings almost went away.  After being on soy milk for about 2 weeks the NW are back with a vengance.  Today we stopped the soy milk.  I'm hoping that once she has caught up on her sleep (she is dreadfully OT from all the NW) the NW will stop.
How long did it take for your LO to get back to feeling better after eliminating soy? 
Hope this has resolved for you by now!
Jolene

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:42:50 am »
sometimes it can only take a few days to settle, but the official line is two weeks to get out of the system, and then some more time if the gut needs to heal.

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:55:27 am »
Turns out she was just teething when this happened. I forgot to update!! So far soy is still perfect for her, and milk is no good at all! Thankfully she didn't get soy intolerence also.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:47:00 am »
I'd be careful anyway, though. This statistic with the 70% is correct. Soy is a huge allergen, soy formula is not recommended here because of that. If it works for her, fine, but an allergy to soy can come any time, so it's good watching out.  :-*

LucysMommy

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 17:00:08 pm »
Thanks for your responses.  I hope she heals up sooner than later.

Lisa - glad your DD is doing better.