Author Topic: How to make breastfeeding successful, give your ideas!  (Read 11463 times)

Offline camendt

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to make breastfeeding successful, give your ideas!
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2005, 04:43:26 am »
I had an awful time BF my DD, but I stuck it out and now it is the best thing that I have accomplished.  My advice is "just hang in there".  It usually takes about a month to get good at it.  I know that sometimes it feels like it is just not worth all the pain, but it trully is.
Claudia

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Back exercises and upper back pain
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2005, 06:27:13 am »
Some BF mothers get a lot of upper back pain or shoulder pain, which comes from carrying the baby, and all the bending over to breastfeed.  There is also extra weight on your upper back from the milk and your increased breast size.  My upper back and shoulders actually got so bad I had to see a physical therapist.  She gave me some great exercises, and I would recommend you see one if your back and shoulder pain is really bad.  Don't just keep taking those drugs they gave you at the hospital! : )  That kind of pain is not good or normal!
I also would recommend doing gentle back exercises.  You can look these up on the internet.  One easy one is to stand against a wall with your shoulders touching the wall, and put your arms straight up against the wall, and then swing then slowly all the way down in front of you, so that they touch the wall again below your hips.  Then you go back up, and down, slowly.  If you are able to do wall push-ups, those are really good.  Or if you can do harder kinds of push-ups, like against a counter or on the floor, even better!  You can also lift weights or pull on surgical tubing that has been afixed in a doorjam.  Be gentle on yourself because you are extra-flexible after pregnancy.  Yoga helps too, but not enough yoga positions really strengthen the upper back specifically, so you might have to do push-ups and weights in addition to a yoga routine.  If in doubt, complain of upper back and shoulder pain to your doctor, and request physical therapy.

"I don't understand your crazy moon language!" --The Tick

Offline jaxnp

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2005, 21:54:36 pm »
I had the same problems with ds (neck/shoulder pain), and also saw a PT.  It helped immensely, and I actually still do the stretches every morning, because it feels good.  This time around it's not so bad, because I do the stretches and I'm more aware of my posture.  My brests tend to get huge while breastfeeding (DD), so good posture is really important, cause they're so heavy.

Offline rllopez99

• Showing Appreciation 0
Chocolate, oatmeal and "arracacha"
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2005, 15:26:47 pm »
Hi, I'm a 40 yo Peruvian mother. I've just had a new baby after 17 years,an even I'm a physician, there are lot of tips I need to re-learn.
I read a post about Chocolate, and I expereinced by myself it is true. In peru tradicional Medicine is very popular, and I noticed that oatmeal and a special kind of potatoe, called "arracacha" realley helped me increase the amount of milk. This last one can be mashed and tastes really good
I have to go back to work in April, when my baby will be about 4 mo, so I would like to read good tips to maintain my breastfeeding

Good wishes from Peru!!! :D  :!:
Rosa Luz

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 218
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2005, 15:43:54 pm »
Hi, I was told to use what I had from mother nature. The midwives said that if I used my own breastmilk and rubbed my nipple before and after every feed then that is the best for prevention of cracked and bleeding nipples.
Along with the obvious correct latch, if it hurts when the baby tries to suckle then you must take the baby from the nipple and try latching on again.

Other breastfeeding mothers told me to buy the creams (so I did) and I never had to use them.

I had large nipples and was very engorged after the first few days and was told to lean over the sink and soak my breasts in warm water to soften the area and release some pressure to help the baby get a better reach. If need be I had to express just a little beofe feeding.

Rhian
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2005, 13:11:52 pm »
With my first baby bf took a while to become successful. But with my second I have successful bf.  The only differents with my two baby's is with my first baby he had to be taken to the resusitar as he pooped will he was inside me because he went into destrees because of the long labour.  With my second baby she was delivared straight onto my naked belly.  My son refused to bf until he was almost 12 hours old but my daughter bf when she was only 30 minutes old.  ?I had both of my baby's at my bed side and not in the nursery and every time the midwifes wanted to take my baby's to the nursery to give me time on my own I refused.  No matter were you live the midwives should respect what you want and let you have you baby at you bed side.  Having my baby and feeding on demand instead of at set times was the only thing that I did the same with both my baby's and this is what I would say is what has helped me with both my baby's to bf successfully.
Alison

mother of two:

Offline clarey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2005, 09:22:40 am »
hello everyone,my tip if any of you are struggleing with getting baby to latch on.Nipple sheilds were my saviour my dd struggled the first few months.Then the nipple sheilds helped her to stop sucking her bottom lip and open her mouth until we did it without.

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Lansinoh!!!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2005, 19:22:05 pm »
The #1 recommendation I have for making breastfeeding comfortable is Lansinoh brand lanolin.  It is the only topical endorsed by the International LaLecha League.  You don't have to take it off before feeding.  I found it at Target one day when I was pregnant and thought I would try it.  I am so glad I did.  I had no soreness, cracking, or bleeding.  It has made nursing very comfortable. I use it along with the Lansinoh washable nursing pads, that way it doesn't get all over your bra.

Frances

Offline lab1967

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2005, 13:36:10 pm »
I bottle fed my 1st, tried bf with my second, & only managed 3 weeks because it was just so painful, i had the usual cracked nipples, and i think now i may have had thrush and eventually got mastitis - owch that really hurt. So I gave up. Now I'm expecting my 3rd baby. I so want to get bf right. I missed bf so much that it contributed to my post natal depression. my 2nd was permanently attached to my breast, i think he was using me for suckling rather than feeding. I thort i may introduce a dummy earlier, and perhaps not feed quite so often. and to find other ways of pacifing the baby instead of immediatly using the breast. I've also been advised not to over feed in the first few days, but to start of with just 5 mins on each breast, to allow nipples to get used to be ing chewed on, and then to build it up. I've also thort about expressing milk, to prevent my breasts from becoming engored, but does that not stiumlate more milk. BF is so confusing. HELP!! I've go 4 months before baby arrives. What are you're thorts. :roll:

Offline momofowen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Summer Lovin' in MA
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2005, 16:25:19 pm »
OK I have not read the other posts, but.....

* Go into it KNOWING that the first TWO WEEKS are NOT EASY.  Actually in my words PAINFUL... but after that life is sooo great! 

*  Ask for help

* Don't feel shy about asking for help - it may be natural , but it is not easy. 

* Remember this is the BEST THING FOR YOUR CHILD.
**You can always go back to work, but you can never go back to having a baby**
Kristin
Owen Tyler 1/14/02
Olivia Paige 7/30/04
- Discovery Toys Sterling Consultant
*We care about ALL children!

Offline Chelsea's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 2
BF success- know prevention & signs of Mastitis/Yeast in
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2005, 03:50:46 am »
I think what I would recommend for new BF moms in addition to all the other great posts, is to understand prevention, and early symptoms of the two common infections- mastitis and yeast.

I have hardly met a BF woman who hasn't had one or both of these. It can really mess things up and if you know what to look for and how to prevent them from getting too serious, your life can be much easier.  I wish I had understood more about these at the beginning!!
Chelsea's Mom

Offline Michael'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2005, 06:20:07 am »
If you have painful nipples that feel like baby is cutting them or slicing them with teeth (even when they don't have teeth) this may help:

For 5 wks after birth I had such tormented nipples, partly from incorrect tongue position (he was lifting it up - caused by having a bottle in hospital supposedly).  The other reason was I was not  letting the nipples dry out enough after feeding.  If only I realised this.  I was trying the rub your milk on the nipples but not the 2nd part which is drying them properly.

If you have a cut and don't let air to it, it stays moist and won't heal.  The same thing with nipples if you don't let them dry after a feed you may end up with them becoming sensitive and so painful.

I was advised to 1) rub my own milk around them from time to time BUT ALSO 2) blow on them to dry them off or let the air to them for a minute.  You can feel if they are still moist they feel a bit softer.  Once dry the skin feels a bit firmer again.

This I hope will save you HOURS OF PAIN.

DON'T GIVE UP - I REFUSED TO STOP BECAUSE OF THE CONVENIENCE, NUTRITION, & MONEY SAVING OF BFEEDING it's also a great way to comfort & bond with baby!  If you want it go for it!
Michael b. Nov 2004

Offline momma of two

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2005, 18:19:02 pm »
There is some really good advice here. My first son was so easy to read.Could always tell when he was hungry and went onto 3 hr feedings withing 2 weeks, was a fast and effeciant feeder. My new guy is not easy to read at all. I can't really tell when he is hungry - so he gets fed most times every 3 hrs sometimes less. At nite he is a lite eater. I have a fast letdown and usually having him in a slight sitting position to help against the sputters, but he still spits up a lot. He seems to always want to suck on something. At times after a feed he seems to get mad that there is still milk coming out-he wants to suck.I only figured that out by putting him on my other breast a few times and he still seemed upset-then I gave him a pacifier and he'd relax. My advice is to relax, follow your own instincts and enjoy the experience. As long as baby is gaining weight, has lots of wet and poopy diapers, you are doing fine. Don't rush the breastfeeding - relax, sit back and watch your little darling. Eventually you will figure it all out. THat you are here reading this shows you will learn all you need too. I have one question - at 4 weeks old, should I wake my baby to feed????????
Momma of two

Offline Christina30

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/panayiotis/
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2005, 06:12:54 am »
3 simple little words, will make a world a difference.

NEVER - GIVE -UP

I had it all: bad case of thrush that lasted 3 months!, very low milk supply (had to take domperidone), baby was 10 lbs so the demand was huge. but through it all I never gave up. I bf my son till he was 13 months. The reason I stopped was cause I had to back to work. so for all you women out there who feel no hope, that they should just give up! DON'T  it's soooo worth it trust me. It's soooooo worth it!!!
Christina, mom to Noti