Author Topic: Confused mommy..Please help !  (Read 1272 times)

Offline sonimusical

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 18, 2010, 23:45:42 pm »
Hi Moms -

My 15.5 month old daughter loves to eat yogurt and cheese and has either one or both everyday as snacks. She never liked milk so currently I'm mixing her formula and milk for her bottles. We are upto 70% milk / 30 % formula and she's been fine with it.

On Friday, we upped the milk and then abt an hour after that, she threw up. I thought maybe she just happened to choke on the cheerio and didnt really think much of it. It was her snack time, so gave her a slice of cheese and she threw up few mins after that again. Then at nite, I gave her 100% formula bottle ( no milk mixed ) and she threw up some of it again. She also got rash and smelly/watery stools.

On Sat, I didnt give her any dairy at all and she was fine all day.

Sunday, I didnt give her dairy but I did mix some milk/cheese for her pasta at dinner. She had watery/smelly stool after that again.

She is also teething - all fingers in the mouth, drool and watery stool are her teething signs.

I'm not sure if she's developed some kind of dairy sensitivity all of a sudden or what went wrong on Friday. Any ideas ? I hv got an appt with her pediatrician but its still a week away so was wondering in case you all hv any advice for me.

Thanks so much !

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Confused mommy..Please help !
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 01:47:37 am »
Hmmmm...  That is strange!  But adults can develop allergies to things that they had no problems with before, so it is certainly possible.  The watery/smelly stool could be explained by teething, but the vomiting isn't so easy. 

Allergies are easier to detect by blood/skin tests (because they are an immune reaction), while intolerances are mostly discovered through food eliminations because testing is more invasive.  So in your case, you would eliminate dairy from her diet completely for a time (in general, it takes 2 weeks to completely eliminate the offending proteins) and if her symptoms disappear then you would suspect an intolerance.  If you are unsure or want to confirm, you would reintroduce dairy and see if symptoms return.

Not to oversimplify, but could she have not been feeling well?  A virus or something?  I know that Dylan has thrown up his soy milk before when he was ill (not with a V&D bug, just fever and generally unwell) and the health nurse I spoke too said that milks (other than breastmilk) can be very difficult to digest and that what happened to Dylan wasn't unusual or really a cause for concern.

Hoping some other moms jump on with ideas too!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 19:42:17 pm »
Hi there,

Yeah, it's a little confusing!  Sounds like it could go either way really....a bug (as vikki said any type of dairy can unsettle a tummy if not feeling well), or a possible intolerance.  The only sure way is to eliminate the suspect food.

Did your ped?  How is LO doing now?  I would say reintroduce slowly and if still seeing the symptoms consider cutting out completely for a month or so and see if it makes a difference, then begin trialing to make certain.

((hugs))

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 19:44:06 pm »
for intolerances the doc could test her poop to see if there is blood there...not invasive at all..just a poop test
9 and 6, oh boy!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 19:47:45 pm »
for intolerances the doc could test her poop to see if there is blood there...not invasive at all..just a poop test

Very true, great point!

Offline sonimusical

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:02:35 am »
Thanks for your responses. One week of no dairy and she seemed of be fine..over the weekend she had bits of cheese from my pizza slice and had watery stool. However I didnt think much of it and figured she's teething as her fingers are always in her mouth. On Monday, I gave her yogurt with her lunch and she threw up three times after that and its Wednesday night here now, no more throwing up but watery smelly stools upto 4 times today....

I'm lactose intolerant...since maybe 3 years...could she hv got it from me ? all of a sudden ? Or do you think the milk quantity increased in her diet as she was shifted to 100% whole milk ( no formula ) and it just messed up her stomach ? There is no rash or blood in the stool however yesterday there were black specks. ( maybe banana ? )

Super confused...she looks like she's losing weight now with all the vomit and pooping !!! :(

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 13:06:01 pm »
The black specks in her stool are concerning.  That can be blood, and I would suggest taking a diaper into the ped asap to get it checked. In the interim with what you've mentioned above I'd cut dairy out. 

Big big (((((hugs)))))