Author Topic: BLW meals ideas for a MPI baby  (Read 1523 times)

Offline bakershaker

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
BLW meals ideas for a MPI baby
« on: October 19, 2010, 03:59:38 am »
Not sure if there is a thread like this that I couldn't find, and if so, please direct me!

My DD has a MPI and we do BLW, so far so good for meals, she has the basics and does great, although it's getting a bit repetitive giving her the same things daily..( she eats what we eat for dinner) but we are running out of breakfast and lunch ideas for her. She LOVES to eat, and does well at it, and can pretty much get anything down.
Anyone want to give me some meal ideas that don't in involve milk?
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Re: BLW meals ideas for a MPI baby
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:26:46 am »
Are you doing eggs yet?  I make silver dollar sized pancakes using rice milk in place of the milk.  Maybe french toast sticks?  We also do that with rice milk.  Just scrambled eggs or hard boiled eggs.  Banana was always a hit here--divided into its natural segments it's perfect.  Have you made the famous sausage recipe yet?  We did that at all sorts of meals. 

Maybe I should start by asking what sorts of things she is already eating, lol. 

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:42:10 am »
Hey Lisa,

K is on dairy/soy/egg/nut free + /low salicylate/no additive/no preservatives/low glutamate diet

so a whole heap more he can't eat than milk but here's what he eats... He's been on solids for 4 weeks and so far he can eat 12 foods: -

Breakfast:  ( I know prridge is not BLW  but such a good staple).

Rolled quinoa porridge with water and neocate formula  ( I also make with just water, it tastes fine)
Rolled amaranth porridge with water and neocate formula
Rice cereal
In the above porridges rotate different puffs - mixed puffed rice, amaranth & quinoa for texture
gluten free toast soldiers with dairy free margarine  ( I have found a brand that has no chemicals or dairy in it, I think its pretty hard to find fluten free bread without dairy though)

He's not on fruit yet, but I would love to be adding fist sized pieces of bannana, paw paw, or stewed and grated apple, stewed pears to the above porridges for different flavours.

You could try oat porridge too

Lunch:
I always give some sort of meat (under advice of dietician for protein)

fried patties of grated potato, swede, choko, and a canned lentils & some gluten free flour or rice flour or potato flour to bind it.    About to start adding a couple of kidney beans to the mix.  Cut patties up into fist sized pieces for finger foods.  You could also add grated zucchini and other tasty root vegetables to the patty mix and of course meat mince.

Meat stock pot - cook beef mince in homemade stock with very diced veges including green beans till soft.  THe liquid cooks out and he can sort of scoop up the diced veges and suck on them but I have to admit, he needs to be spoon fed some of this stuff too  :)

Rosti: a variation of the patty - par boiled potatoes grated up - so they go starchy and air filled when grated.  Mix in a ting bit of dairy free butter and then fry lightly in a pan for 10 mins or so until the bottom forms a browned crust.  Cut into finger foods to serve.  I then freeze the extras and thaw in oven 10 mins before meal times.

steamed fist sized wedges of swede & potato.  I feeze a whole heap and defrost in the oven with a little oil so they  dry slightly and tast a bit yummy, Of course you could do other root vegetables.

If I could I would do other steamed veges as wedges and serve quite soft or else I would give some fruit.

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 15:31:54 pm »
Great ideas! And wow Eloise, I wasn't aware your LO had so many intolerences..must make it hard!

Well, I haven't done eggs yet, but we were going to do that this week!
As of right now for breakfast she has toast, some fruit cut up, some rice puffs,( not all at once, but we alternate days)
lunch is usually organic mixed beans ( chickpeas kidney beans etc..she loves this), rice, veggies steamed, she loves spagetti with tomato sauce. I just find we are doing the same things..sort of in a rut! I'm definatly going to try those pancakes with rice milk, and some more meats. I'm so thankful she will eat anything...her brother was always picky( and still is) I'm taking advantage of this and filling her up with meats before she hates them one day like her brother..lol
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 15:55:10 pm »
listening in
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 16:01:48 pm »
I'm 95% sure that plain regular Cheerios are dairy-free as my friend with a milk-allergic DD has them in her house.

Adding on to the beans idea, we occasionally make a dish called Mississippi Caviar that was one of Josie's first finger foods, and dead easy to make: 3 cans of beans - we used black beans and black-eyed peas, a can of one and 2 cans of the other, didn't matter which, just rinse them REALLY REALLY well - diced sweet peppers for color (red/green/yellow/orange), some diced onion and chopped garlic to taste, and a bottle (or homemade equivalent) of Italian dressing. Let it marinate in there for a day for better taste. DH likes diced jalapenos in his but we didn't do that. ::) The cookbook says to serve with Fritos Scoops which is fine for picnics, but we serve it straight up or over lettuce for more adult salads, works great since it's half dressing anyway. LOL Not too hard to make up some homemade Italian dressing from scratch so you know there are no milk products in it - Google recipes but most basic cookbooks have a recipe.

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 20:47:01 pm »
Would love to hear more ideas here too.  Something I'm giving T is bugging him- I think peppers.  I'm trying to avoid the top allergens right now myself.  I don't cook- so I am learning lol!  Need recipes that are free of wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, fish, shellfish, and corn that are easy to make and a hit with lo's!!

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 23:38:14 pm »
all I can say is patties patties patties...  and also baby pasta made from rice and quinoa or millet and blended veges for a sauce with homemade stock... 

risotto without dairy made with stock and diced veges.