Author Topic: Finding Nemo  (Read 2632 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Finding Nemo
« on: October 20, 2010, 13:48:04 pm »
Brodie is obsessed with it. Really obsessed. In so many ways its a great thing what with having a newborn and all but seriously he just wants it on all the time. He knows how to get the DVD on too, little monkey. He would stand at the tv and watch it all day if I let him and to be honest there have been a couple of days where this is the case. I'm feeling awul for it, it cant be good for him.

Anyone else have toddlers obsessed with Disney? How can I get him interested in something else?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 13:58:43 pm »
I just bought T Disney's Cars and I have a feeling he will be super obsessed with it soon.  We have Nemo too but haven't put it on for him yet!  I find though T gets obsessed with shows or movies for a little while, then gets bored of them and moves onto something else.  Last week it was Bob the Builder, he wouldn't let me put anything else on but Bob and would have a meltdown if I tried!  But he is over that now.   ::)  TBH, I used to feel guilty when I let T watch some tv, especially after F was born and it seemed the tv was on a lot.  But I just make sure I make a point of getting him out of the house everyday, even if it's just a brief outing to the store, so he's not in front of it all day long.  He would much rather be outside anyway, it's just so hard with a baby to get out as much!  I'll make it up to him next year when both boys are older and we can spend all day every day outside!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 14:15:15 pm »
Whenever we had obsessions with shows etc...(around 3 yrs until present) I get him books from the library or colouring books or toys of the characters so he has a variety of opportunities to explore his fave movie not just by watching the boob tube kwim?

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
Re: Finding Nemo
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 15:29:03 pm »
I get him books from the library or colouring books or toys of the characters so he has a variety of opportunities to explore his fave movie not just by watching the boob tube kwim?

Same here.  I think its just what they like, best you could do is offer variety.  DS ended up liking shows DD never did, and both liked stuff we didn't like at all LOL.  :)

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 15:32:39 pm »
Not Disney, but he was obsessed with Brum for ages ::) As Aisling said we would play pretend Brum games, act out Brum scenes, etc No books or colouring for Brum because they don't have Brum here, but lately it is Thomas...and yes we have colouring books, clothes, trains for his train set, dishes, cups, etc and so when he wants "mas" on the TV I don't always put it on, instead I will get other things out for him to play "mas" on his own or with me.

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 15:49:04 pm »
We've moved on to Star Wars.  ::)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 16:00:16 pm »
Disney's Cars is a favourite here too ::) This has followed on from the  Monsters Inc phase and is a slight improvement on the Wiggles phase ::). The kids are getting me Beauty and the Beast for Christmas as it's being re-released so I hope that becomes a phase so I can get revenge by annoying them with my singing :P ;D

Laura

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 16:55:01 pm »
We've moved on to Star Wars.  ::)

DH and I are Star Wars fanatics so cannot wait for that one! We have lots of Star Wars memorabilia and Lego just waiting for him. Here's hoping he actually gets into it!

I will def try and somehow get the theme of fishes into playtime here. He's fish on the brain right now! Anyone got any ideas on how to do that one?!!  ;)

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 17:06:27 pm »
Have you taken him to a pet/fish store to have a look at the fish in the aquiariums? My DS loves it - we go once a week!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 18:21:13 pm »
We actually bought T a little aquarium and a fish because he was obsessed with bubbles!

I LOVE Star Wars too, so yes that will be a fun phase!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 20:22:08 pm »
I love Star Wars too, but man, he goes on and on :P.  AND he has never even seen any movies or shows of it! It is only via Lego, books, activity books and the Lego Website.  He is going to be Darth Vader for Hallowe'en of course.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 22:43:19 pm »
Yup, we had the Nemo phase.  And a specific Sesame Street DVD.  And other phases.  Currently it's Barbie DVDs.  At least I can say it's a bit educational.  One of them is Swan Lake.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 12:27:16 pm »
 The pet shop is a fab idea Mashi. We are going to the zoo in a couple of weeks too when SIL comes to visit too. He is obsessed with animals.  :)

Its just all too easy to pop on the DVD when he wants it and he will watch it ALL day if I let him.

Offline emz1907

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 12:40:59 pm »
Ive found my ds has gone through these phases too, currently it's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. We've done Monsters Inc and Toy Story obsessions too.
~Emma~

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 13:16:04 pm »
If he's into fish then how about getting the BBC doc series The Blue Planet. It's absolutely amazing - particularly the deep sea ep - and really educational. My DS had a phase of watching nothing else - it's strange to hear a 4 year old talking about the bacterial luminesence that makes the angler fish's lure light up!

xxx
Anna x