Author Topic: Carseat hatred  (Read 2626 times)

Offline lyeats44

• aka Linds
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Carseat hatred
« on: October 22, 2010, 16:54:58 pm »
Can anyone give me any advice (or some hope that it will get better eventually) about my spirited toddler (13 months) hating her car seat?

We cant go anywhere without her constantly whining and crying about being strapped in!!  The only thing that will keep her content is singing the itsy bitsy spider or a constant supply of crackers! 

Anyone have any ideas to keep her entertained?   ??? ???

We have a 2 hr car trip coming up that I am absolutely dreading!! 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Carseat hatred
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 19:01:18 pm »
We have some vtech books. They play music and do ABCs etc. I think they are majorly OS for LOs so keep them for car rides since they tend to be SO boring LOL

We also used snacks, as you do, and a sippy cup, sing songs, and let her pick toys to bring in the car. If it's possible, keep the toys/books (we bring reg. books as well), etc. up by you or your partner and then you can offer them one at a time when the novelty of the last item wears off.

I will say....it def. gets better! DD hated riding in the car around that age. Esp. if it was a longer ride (longer than 15 mins. LOL). BUT now she can handle most rides that we take, up to about 2 hours. She knows that we WILL get there at some point so has more patience.

HTH

Good luck!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 19:02:11 pm »
OH.....and if possible.....drive at nap time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOs sleeping in car seats is BLISS! (sometimes we have to drive AFTER nap time so she's super tired and will def. fall asleep)

Offline M2M

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 19:36:54 pm »
I think at Target or Walmart I saw a car seat activity center (I think it's really just a glorified tray).  It's big enough to draw/color on, etc. 

Offline lyeats44

• aka Linds
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 21:52:31 pm »
Thanks for the ideas ladies!  I will look for some musical activity books.  She is still a little young for coloring, but loves music. 

I normally try to avoid car and nap time, unless  I know its going to be longer than 45 minutes drive... because if she falls asleep for even 10 minutes, there will be no nap at home:)  But for our upcoming trip that is 2+ hrs I will definitely do it around nap time!! 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 18:15:05 pm »
We had the same trouble....IF DD fell asleep, even for just 10 mins. then she would not nap at home afterward. Sometimes I would leave her in the car, parked in the driveway with the car running/music playing etc so it was as close to the same sensation as driving as possible and I'd get a bit longer of a nap out of her. I just sat on the porch with a book or something LOL. Just in case it DOES happen to you. A 30 or 45 min. nap is better than a 10 min one if you can stretch it by doing that!