Author Topic: Blame it on the cytokines (in the breastmilk)!?  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
Blame it on the cytokines (in the breastmilk)!?
« on: October 25, 2010, 22:18:25 pm »
Finally saw an allergist today. The good news is that DS2 didn't react to any of the foods they pricked him for, but the bad news is that the allergist recommends I discontinue breastfeeding. He says the reason baby is reacting, is that my body produces cytokines in response to my own environmental allergies (which actually haven't seemed very bothersome at all lately) which jacks up DS2's immune system to make him "react."

I wish I had recorded the session. DH was there, but my mind is swirling and I already feel like it doesn't make sense and that I have a lot of questions!!

He said the other option is to persevere with my severe ED because it is somehow limiting the "cytokine expression" to a level that DS2 can handle. I don't really get it and I feel so bewildered to believe that every bad day he's had has been a direct result of mommy's milk??!!  :'(

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
Re: Blame it on the cytokines (in the breastmilk)!?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 22:20:30 pm »
Hmmm.  Trying to figure out if this makes any sense at all.  I suppose he's saying that your CKs are activating DS's immune system?  I've never heard such a claim before.  Not really sure it makes physiologic sense.  Let me think on it for a bit and do some poking around and I'll be back. :-*
*Kate*

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 00:05:57 am »
Wow Shannon, that's crazy.  I've never even heard of cytokines.  I have read that it's impossible for a baby to be allergic to breastmilk, but of course can react to things that could be present in the milk.  That is a lot to process!  Can you call the allergist to get your questions answered now that you've had some time to think about it?  I hope that it's not the end of BFding for you, but do know that if it is you still gave your baby 6mos of wonderful breastmilk that has most definitely benefitted him, and I'm sure if he could he would thank you for it mama.  :)  p.s., missed you!!   :-*
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 00:17:17 am »
Shannon,

I never never expected to hear anything like that.  I am blown away.  I have never heard of cytokines, I have absolutely no idea!  Both options sound just awful. You have persisted for so long with the hope of new foods and now... no option to do so?????

All I can think is to get a second and third oppinion.  To stop breastfeeding is a huge call, of course many people in your position would have given up long long ago. I would support any decision you make, you are a hero in my eyes  :-*  And he has benefited from everything else in your milk hun, he has needed all those important goodies.  

Would you be up for a week into elemental formula and expressing all the time to keep your milk up as a test?  Easier said then done.  How DO you get a baby on a bottle so quickly anyway?

It makes me wonder though, if he tested negative and has no allergies, then that is a bit of hard evidence. But what did he say about food intolerance? Ahis reactions to your foods considered an allergic reaction - hives/skin stuff and instant response  or are they more related to food intolerance reflux flaring, unsettled, sore tummy, etc....

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 00:27:23 am by EloysH »

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 00:24:22 am »
Well there doesn't seem to be much research out there on this.  I did just read an article talking about how mom's milk can have different amounts of white blood cells (the ones that make the CKs) and they did link certain levels to babies with allergies.  So it seems feasible.  

I'm so sorry this is what it's coming to for you.  What a terrible position.  It sounds like this is really the last ditch effort to help DS?  

I wish I had something else to suggest.  Huge hugs.  Ultimately, it's up to you if you are going to wean or not.  You can always try for a second opinion, I guess?  

And I agree with Martina that every day of BM is a beautiful gift you've given him.  Huge (((hugs))).
*Kate*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 00:49:53 am »
Spencer didn't have any reaction to the skin prick tests either, but gets hives/redness and GI symptoms from eggs & milk, so that is enough for my allergist to keep her off of them until we can do a food challenge.
Heidi

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:04:55 am »
It's been a long time since I broke out my immunology texts, but I did some research because this seems shocking to me :o

Very simply, cytokines are proteins that affect the interaction and/or communication between cells, including components of the immune system.  Though some studies have found that specific cytokine levels are higher in the breastmilk of women with allergies vs. those without, none have found a causal impact on the development of allergies in their infants.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17177685
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10321555
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12603709
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/84/1/190

In fact, one article specifically stated that "no difference in the development of atopy during the first 2 years of life was found between BF and FF infants." (atopy = any allergic disease, such as asthma or eczema, in addition to allergies)
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x3th8aeyby5dwbua/

And another: "The concentrations of proinflammatory markers and cytokines in breast milk did not differ significantly between allergic and nonatopic mothers."
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1398-9995.1999.00765.x/abstract

The only article that I found that indicated a causal relationship found that "High colostral IL-13 levels were associated with allergic sensitization during infancy in Sweden."
http://journals.lww.com/pedresearch/Abstract/2010/10000/Breast_Milk_Cytokine_and_IgA_Composition_Differ_in.11.aspx

Unless he is privy to some cutting edge research (which he may very well be, I'm certainly not) that's quite a claim that he's making regarding your breastfeeding causing his reactions.  And from my limited knowledge of immunology, I don't believe that what you eat has anything to do with your cytokine production, unless YOU are allergic to that food item and it's triggering an immune reaction.

When I went to Dylan's allergist for his skin and blood tests, he asked if I BFed or FFed.  When I said that I was still bfing he congratulated me and said that that was the best thing that I could be doing for him.  Dylan certainly doesn't have the number of sensitivities that your DS2 has, but we are dealing with multiple food allergies and I don't see how the principles could be so different.  I agree with all the pps that suggested getting a second opinion - you are clearly so committed to bfing that I wouldn't wean solely on the opinion of one doctor when so much research doesn't seem to support his claim.

Huge (((hugs))), what a tough spot you are in :'( :'(
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 02:21:58 am »
Put really basically cytokines are the proteins that communicate with Cells in the immune system (over simplification).
My Immunology is very rusty as it is over 10 years since I have worked in that area, so I could be wrong, but in theory yes it could be the issue, BUT if your environmental allergies aren't really bothering you then is it your low diet etc, but it still doesn't quite make sense that there would be high levels of cytokines in BM.

My mind is running 100 miles/hour, partly because I'm so rusty in this area & so I don't know if it isn't adding up because I don't remember stuff or because it doesn't make sense.

So what doesn't quite add up  is how he can be sure it is the cytokine (protiens) that are causing the issue & not the food (protiens) in the BM? What was done to test? because just because it wasn't an allergic reaction doesn't mean it isn't an intolerance.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:24:52 am »
So what doesn't quite add up  is how he can be sure it is the cytokine (protiens) that are causing the issue & not the food (protiens) in the BM? What was done to test? because just because it wasn't an allergic reaction doesn't mean it isn't an intolerance.

That's exactly what I'm struggling with.  I don't see how he can be sure it's the cytokines and not something else ingested and therefore being delivered through the BM. ???  I guess the argument is that if DS isn't having positive skin tests, that he isn't reacting to those substances themselves. 

Very interesting stuff, Vikki.

More hugs, Shannon.
*Kate*

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 03:36:11 am »
Thank you for the hugs. Right now I am just too tired and emotionally wrung out to really respond to your thoughts - but I will later. Would you believe that on the same day I also found out my main role at work is being re-assigned and I'll have the option of taking a totally different position or 'retiring'!?

Right now I am just going to go to bed and be THANKFUL that he didn't have bad reactions to the pricks so that proceeding into the realm of solids is not so scary.

One thought though: should I be wary that he insisted that only milk and soy proteins can persist in breastmilk in a form 'large enough' to be an issue? He contends that carrots, or potatoes or other foods that I have logged as problems are "chopped up" so much in breastmilk as to not be able to elicit a reaction?

xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 05:00:11 am »
One thought though: should I be wary that he insisted that only milk and soy proteins can persist in breastmilk in a form 'large enough' to be an issue? He contends that carrots, or potatoes or other foods that I have logged as problems are "chopped up" so much in breastmilk as to not be able to elicit a reaction?

???  I would be...hope you have a restful night {{{hugs}}}
Heidi

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 05:26:31 am »
Hugs love, you head must be spinning.  Hope you get a good sleep.

I third that about food intolerance.  I was trying to allude towards the same point in my previous post.  How does he account for food reactions from multiple protein intolerances??  Just because LO didn't react to the skin prick tests doesn't mean he isn't reacting to foods because he is food intolerant. Because food intolerance reactions are delayed, they do not show up as a reaction on the skin prick tests.

I would be wary about the comment about dairy proteins.  My paed allergist and dieitican both have confirmed that all food chemicals (natural and synthetic)  and food proteins pass through the milk... so his comment would mean that they are wrong and also the whole allergy unit at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital is indeed barking up the wrong tree!  It also measn that all the reactions I am logging are a mistake and not due to the foods that I am carefully challenging...  ...I think it depends on how sensitive your baby is, as to whether the foods in the milk will cause trouble or not.

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:01:40 am »
I know absolutely nothing about cytokines but I know the struggle it is to have to decide to give up bfing because of intolerances. All I can offer are hugs and peace in the decision you do make.
Jenny - mama to

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 09:52:46 am »
I know absolutely nothing about cytokines but I know the struggle it is to have to decide to give up bfing because of intolerances. All I can offer are hugs and peace in the decision you do make.

i popped on to write pretty much the same thing. huge hugs shannon, thinking of you x

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 21:22:03 pm »
Can you call the allergist to get your questions answered now that you've had some time to think about it?
I don't know how it is in ON, Martina, but in AB, access to doctors is pretty restricted. I think he felt he was being generous by agreeing to see me again in January! Thx for missing me  :-*

You have persisted for so long with the hope of new foods and now... no option to do so?????
Your horror is appreciated, Elo!! But, I guess technically, I could go back to doing my own thing, with individual food challenges through my milk. I have been holding off on those in prep for the prick tests. I did restart his vitamin D drops yesterday as DH is particularly antsy about those. He is having a lot of extra NFs right now, but I don't think that is related to any of this. He just seems hungry.

I doubt I could get a second opinion as this guy is considered a real expert and there aren't many allergists that work with kidlets.

Would you be up for a week into elemental formula and expressing all the time to keep your milk up as a test?  Easier said then done.  How DO you get a baby on a bottle so quickly anyway?
Nope. I couldn't do that. My pump and I have a tenuous friendship at best and it usually takes me several longish pumping sessions to get enough milk to leave for a bottle (which he will take, at least with EBF). One crazy idea I came up with as a test was to give him a bottle of a friend's milk, with the idea being that even though she is eating everything I am not, if the milk lacks my problematic cytokines, maybe he wouldn't react?? But, that doesn't really get me anywhere even if that does prove the doctor's theory correct. More likely I think, is that I will offer S something directly like carrots, and have him react (proving MY theory that it's not just milk and soy that cause problems).

It makes me wonder though, if he tested negative and has no allergies, then that is a bit of hard evidence. But what did he say about food intolerance? Ahis reactions to your foods considered an allergic reaction - hives/skin stuff and instant response  or are they more related to food intolerance reflux flaring, unsettled, sore tummy, etc....

Well, it is hard evidence that he didn't react to skin pricks, but given that most of his symptoms are GI related, I'm not really that surprised. Even the eczema comes from the gut as it appears 'last' in the cascade of things that happens after a bad food ingestion. But, the doctor said that food intolerance IS because of cytokines, but neither DH nor I could work out what his rationale was there, although DH feels sure it was explained in some reasonable fashion, he just can't recall what. I have to admit that once he said that all other foods are "so chopped up" in your milk (except dairy and soy) they won't cause any issue with breastfeeding, and his recommendation was to abandon nursing despite other benefits (which he says are mostly already realized by this stage in the nursing rlsp!?), I was only able to half-concentrate on the rest of what he said.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/127/5/985S Do Milk-Borne Cytokines and Hormones Influence Neonatal Immune Cell Function?

I also read that, "Food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES) is a non-IgE-mediated food allergy characterized by severe vomiting, diarrhea, and often failure to thrive in infants. Symptoms typically resolve after the triggering food-derived protein is removed from the diet and recur within few hours after the re-exposure to the causal protein. The diagnosis is based on clinical symptoms and a positive food challenge." http://www.hindawi.com/journals/cdi/2009/679381.html

This is not quite our situation, but the case involved rice, so obviously some doctors think that it's more than just milk and soy. Also note that it says non-IgE (which is the only type that the prick tests can measure for).

Spencer didn't have any reaction to the skin prick tests either, but gets hives/redness and GI symptoms from eggs & milk, so that is enough for my allergist to keep her off of them until we can do a food challenge.
I'm a bit confused here, Heidi. She gets hives etc from your milk when you're eating eggs and milk or directly? If the latter, what do you mean 'until we can' do a food challenge?

Unless he is privy to some cutting edge research (which he may very well be, I'm certainly not) that's quite a claim that he's making regarding your breastfeeding causing his reactions.  And from my limited knowledge of immunology, I don't believe that what you eat has anything to do with your cytokine production, unless YOU are allergic to that food item and it's triggering an immune reaction.

When I went to Dylan's allergist for his skin and blood tests, he asked if I BFed or FFed.  When I said that I was still bfing he congratulated me and said that that was the best thing that I could be doing for him.  Dylan certainly doesn't have the number of sensitivities that your DS2 has, but we are dealing with multiple food allergies and I don't see how the principles could be so different.  I agree with all the pps that suggested getting a second opinion - you are clearly so committed to bfing that I wouldn't wean solely on the opinion of one doctor when so much research doesn't seem to support his claim.
Thank you so much for wading through some real scholarly stuff, Vikki. I had read of the possibility of atopic mothers making their babies more atopic, but it's good to read that it's not the only opinion!

The crazy thing is that he is positing that it is my ENVIRONMENTAL allergies (to cats, dust, pollens, etc) that are causing the cytokines in the milk. I am not allergic to any food that I know of, although pork does make me ill. He said I would know by now if I was allergic to any food (but I think many people take years to work them out unless he is talking about strictly anaphylactic type responses??). Anyways, I'm not suffering with allergies right now and my exposure to potentially problematic things is super low (for example, we have almost no carpet in our house and a great hepa filter on the furnace). So WHY would my milk contain high enough levels of enviro-generated CKs? And this is the big question for me medically, WHY does what I eat have any impact on this? I can trace his reactions to careful food logs (and we do have a safe baseline, so huh???).

I had a hard think about it, and at this point, I am not even entertaining weaning. I firmly believe breast is best for my little guy. It's also a big part of how I feel good about not mothering FT (I like my work!). If I have to keep starving to continue, I'll do it (luckily, I am not yet underweight!!). I recently talked to a gal who had a similar story (but no prick tests) and she saw a huge improvement between 9 and 10 months. The doc says 'it's too hard on your family' but did agree that I was not going to do any longterm damage to S by continuing, although he says his whole system is probably somewhat inflamed even on my baseline diet and that would go away (presumably) if I switched to FF.

Put really basically cytokines are the proteins that communicate with Cells in the immune system (over simplification).
My Immunology is very rusty as it is over 10 years since I have worked in that area, so I could be wrong, but in theory yes it could be the issue, BUT if your environmental allergies aren't really bothering you then is it your low diet etc, but it still doesn't quite make sense that there would be high levels of cytokines in BM.

My mind is running 100 miles/hour, partly because I'm so rusty in this area & so I don't know if it isn't adding up because I don't remember stuff or because it doesn't make sense.

So what doesn't quite add up  is how he can be sure it is the cytokine (protiens) that are causing the issue & not the food (protiens) in the BM? What was done to test? because just because it wasn't an allergic reaction doesn't mean it isn't an intolerance.
I think it's because he believes that only dairy and soy proteins cross over through breastmilk in high enough concentrations (or perhaps particle size??) to be relevant. The more I think about that, the more cross I get. But, he was a nice reasonable man who did seem to have a lot of info. DH keeps saying "I think you should just believe him" but only in so far as there is no reason for concern when giving solids.

I would be wary about the comment about dairy proteins.  My paed allergist and dieitican both have confirmed that all food chemicals (natural and synthetic)  and food proteins pass through the milk... so his comment would mean that they are wrong and also the whole allergy unit at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital is indeed barking up the wrong tree!  It also measn that all the reactions I am logging are a mistake and not due to the foods that I am carefully challenging...  ...I think it depends on how sensitive your baby is, as to whether the foods in the milk will cause trouble or not.
Is there anyone in your practice who would be willing to give me a letter to that effect? The nurse who did the pricks seemed to care ZERO for any information I have gathered, my logs, etc. And even with the MSPI she said 'but did a DOCTOR diagnose that'?? I don't want to be the crazy mother! Sheesh. On the other hand, maybe there is no point trying to convince him. Maybe I should just carry on with my original plan... to introduce in solid form the foods he is tolerating through my milk (while holding my diet constant) and then try to add new things through my milk first and then give to him (all the while letting him get older and stronger)?

Thanks so much for the hugs, Jenny, Kate, and Kirry. If it weren't for my amazing support network here, I think I would have numbly agreed to give up long ago. And I still might. And I really feel for those of you faced with this dilemma. But for today, my thought is: I've survived this long on just 5 foods and 2 condiments, I can go longer I think (although feel a bit teary at the prospect of doing this on a 10 day vacation upcoming to Mexcio at the end of November).

p.s. sorry this got so long. maybe I should have done multiple replies instead?