Author Topic: Any vegan BW mamas out there? Recipes to share?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Any vegan BW mamas out there? Recipes to share?
« on: October 26, 2010, 02:17:21 am »
Hi all!  Not sure if this is the right board, but it seemed as good a place as any :)

Dylan is allergic to dairy and eggs, so I've actually started googling for vegan recipes to get some new ideas for him.  I've had great success with baking (thanks Martina!) but I've had much more limited success with more "meal" type recipes.  They either have egg replacements that aren't available in Canada (or at least I haven't been able to find them here), or they just haven't found favour with my getting-pickier-by-the-day toddler ;)

Does anyone have any "toddler-tested" vegan recipes to share?
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

scarlettsmom

Re: Any vegan BW mamas out there? Recipes to share?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 19:51:22 pm »
Hmmm,..,we're not vegans, so don't have recipes to help there.  Have you hopped on kidswithfoodallergies.com to check?  They used to have a really impressive recipe database, but I haven't been there in quite a while.  I do have a WONDERFUL vegan pumpkin bread/pumpkin muffin exile though if you want anymore baking recipes.   ;D. Just made it the other day actually and had two loaves and 12 big muffins gone in about 5 minutes!

Will check my recipes and see if I can "veganize" them. 

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 23:15:08 pm »
I'll steal your pumpkin recipe if you're able to share! You can never have too many good baking recipes ;)

We're not actually vegan anyway, but because vegan diets are free of all animal protein they don't contain any dairy or eggs, so they're safe for Dylan :) And I've found it much easier to google "vegan" rather than "dairy and egg free" and I get much more suitable results. Now if only I could get Dylan to eat them!  ;) :P

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:03:30 am »
Can't really help with the vegan thing either, but have to 2nd checking out the KFA website ( it's .org though, but it won't let my copy & paste the link) 

For egg replacements, did you know you can use ground flax and let it soak in a bit of water first.  That and applesauce are the key ones we use.  I've read that you can use potato, but haven't tried it.  Good idea to google vegan, I'm running out of things Spencer can & will eat.

Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:40:13 pm »
Here's the pumpkin recipe. Soooo good, my kids love it, I put in chocolate chips and don't use the walnuts or coconut flakes.  I also make one loaf and then 12 muffins.  Enjoy! ;D

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2/3 cup flaked coconut
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, white sugar, pumpkin puree, oil, coconut milk, baking soda, salt, ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon. Mix until all of the flour is gone. Fold in the nuts and flaked coconut. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cover loaves with foil tightly. Allow to steam for 10 minutes. Remove foil and turn out onto a cooling rack. Tent lightly with the foil and allow to cool completely.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:42:26 pm by scarlett'smom »

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 17:26:25 pm »
Thanks Tari!  Will have to give it a try on my next day off!! :)

Heidi - if you like to bake check out http://www.foodallergymama.com/  It's a blog with tons of dairy, egg and nut free baking recipes.  I've had lots of success with her stuff!

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 17:34:09 pm »
Well, I wouldn't really claim to like baking...but I do love eating it and I never bake anything Spencer can't have because I just don't think it's fair to her now that she is very aware when she can't have things!

Wow, just gave the link a quick scroll, will def. check it out tonight after the kids are in bed, and tell the cook at our daycare to check it out too. We just discovered that they assumed when I said "no egg" I only meant whole eggs, not baked in...so all the mystery hives, GI and no nap issues at daycare are probably related to that.
Heidi

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 17:57:43 pm »
We just discovered that they assumed when I said "no egg" I only meant whole eggs, not baked in
:o :o :o :o :o
At least you have a reason for the mystery hives and other problems, but how frustrating!!!

I hope that some of the recipes on there are useful!  There are so many in the archives that it's a bit overwhelming, but there's a search feature too if you're looking for something specific :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 00:13:56 am »
We just discovered that they assumed when I said "no egg" I only meant whole eggs, not baked in
:o :o :o :o :o

Ditto the  :o  :o :o :o
Good to know what's going on though... :-*

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 00:19:10 am »
yeah...they said I should have told them, and while I do assume some responsibility for not realizing how little other people know about food allergies, really if they didn't get it they should always ask (I know they went nut free because too many kids had peanut allergies, I don't think they would feed those kids something with nuts in it!). But, at least they are willing to work with it and don't expect me to bring food!

Course now she seems to be reacting to oranges... ::)

Heidi