Author Topic: Playgroup woes --- long, and quite petty... but could use opinions  (Read 4960 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Playgroup woes --- long, and quite petty... but could use opinions
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 12:09:32 pm »
ts a really hard one to weigh up and I can totally see your position, if it were me personally I would be judging it purely on how much does your ds get out if it? If the time spent there is 70% unhappiness at not being able to do what he wants and 30% enjoyment then I would pull it. If though he gets a higher percentage of enjoyment despite these things then it would be worth it still (even if you have to put up with control freak leader!).
I agree with this 100%

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 12:12:55 pm »
I would stay, but only for a while, and maybe only every second/third week. As much as it sucks, I would do it. In different circumstances, of course I would just stop going. But this is your chance to socialize, and make DS some great little friends. I think that you just have to try to turn off the part of your head that feels like they are watching and judging, as hard as that is. If you put yourself in a mindset of "I am doing this for DS, and for myself, not for the stupid control freak leader or the other moms" it may be easier, ya know? And after a while once those relationships that you need have been developed, you can transfer them to things like park visits or playdates at eachother's homes (although I know how small your apartment is!). You are right that it isn't the worst thing in the world for him to learn that sometimes he has to sit still and listen to instructions that go against what he wants to do. I do think that 2 yrs is really young for that lesson, and she sounds like a jerk, but... I would still go. Like I said, though... every second or third week!!

But if she is making you feel that bad about yourself and it isn't worth it, then don't go. Surely there is something else going on that day so you aren't butting heads staying at home? It would suck not to make friends, but if it is hurting you that badly then the potential friends aren't worth it.

Please don't think that I agree with her methods or attitude, though! She sounds like someone who shouldn't be working with young children. My advice is based on the fact that the group is what it is, and things won't change while she is there.
Amy

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44:31 pm »
Mashi hugs.

I so understand about being upset about the circle time especially. I have "quit" the library programme and another playgroup about this when DS was 2yrs. We did go back to teh library programme once he was 3 though.  I wrote a letter to the manager at on of them as the leader was horrible and like you said (having my own experience teaching LO's Music and Movement classes and do this for DS's school) had a personality of a wet mop.  I couldn't stand sitting in the circle listening to her, never mind with a spirited toddler.  Now you don't need sing like Judy Garland or be as animated as the narrator on In The Night Garden but come on, at least smile and also understand some child development and age appropriateness song activities.

I find the whole issue with a traditional circle time is this, the right age is a baby or preschooler.  KWIM?  Where they can just sit with Mama and enjoy the sights and sounds or when they can actively participate and sing or do the finger play or dances.  Toddlers need a whole different approach.  When I taught the 18 month to under 3, I always let them have props like puppets, bells, balls etc....to use to entice them and kept things moving fast.  If the child did not want to participate, then it was fine for them to go off as long as there Mum was with them.  Also, children will learn songs form outside the circle, trust me, even though they are not participating, they are taking it in in their own way.  

In the end, I was so frustrated, felt like my child and I were failures (I actually posted about it on BW back then) and tired of sweating my a ss off trying to keep him still, we quit. I don't like being a quitter so it was a big deal, but in teh end it was right for us. At least we had other play places to go to.

Not sure what to say for you as it is so great you get to see the other families who are friends of yours. Just wanted to let yo now that you and your DS are normal (in my books)!

I find the 2's are an awkward stage like adolescents kwim??  Frustrating.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:46:36 pm by aisling »

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 13:03:09 pm »
Hi Mash

That sounds a lot like the kids' farm near my house which I think you went to!  :D My kids love places like that (and I agree with a pp that I'd be lifting them over the fence to the goats if they locked us out!!!)

So I do not think you are being unreasonable in the way you've been feeling about it, but I guess I feel like if it's her playgroup, and these are her rules, then it's take it or leave it.  She does sound like a total control freak but I also do understand her need to have everyone relatively on the same page so she can manage the group, and the time you are visiting her place is during the one structured time. I keep equating it to our gymnastics lessons which sound similar in that there are times when they are doing other activities that running and jumping on all the equipment, and they ask parents to support that. For a while there when Luke was 18m-2.5 he just did NOT want to sit down. So I did not force him.  But I did feel it was reasonable to keep him off the climbing wall and the big stuff until song time was over - especially given that the other parents and kids were into it.  Then it was not just about us biding by the rules, but also about us not providing too many distractions so that the other kids and parents can enjoy, kwim?

I think that given that your DS seems to otherwise be having fun, and that you really like the interaction, in your shoes I would try to take the If You Can't Beat Em Join Em approach.  I am wondering if there is a way you can work things out with Lucas so that he is more enthusiastic about the songs? At the gymnastics class, from about 2.5 Luke used to engage in the songs with me and at least stand and do the hand motions and get into it with me, but now that our au pair is taking the boys to the class, they just want to run wild and not sit and do the songs, etc. She feels a little stressed about getting them to relax but she also wondered if it has to do with the fact that she can't help lead them in this part and just kinda sits there. She's now trying to learn some of the songs at home and they're singing them together so she can stimulate them to do the little hand motions and get into it.  (It's also good for her Dutch!!) I am thinking that if your DS can see it as more fun and something that you're into, he might more easily participate or at least think it's funny to get into it?

Further I don't know how verbal DS is but maybe you can make a deal with him about the amount of time he can be on the trampoline? I know this is harder with spirited kids but then again it's also reasonable to have a time limit on certain activities too - especially if it's fairly well before the song time starts? (I CANNOT get Luke off the trampoline without HUGE tears every single time I pick him up from day care. I almost dread getting him on a nice day knowing he will be in there and I'll eventually have to climb in and pick him up screaming so we can go home. Makes me wonder if your DS would do the same whether for song time or later for any of the other activities - it just sucks to have to stop for ANY reason! ;))

Finally I think that it could be of use to engage the group leader on some level and talk to her about your DS and how he's getting on at the playgroup - see if she has some suggestions on helping it work better for both her AND him?  Is this possible? I know there is a total language barrier there - can one of your friends there help with the conversation??

:-*
Mom to Luke (2007) and Dylan (2009)

Offline Maeve

• Showing Appreciation 92
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 13:21:49 pm »
That sounds painful. I don't see why he should have to come off the trampoline, I wonder what would happen if you left him on it?

But I think the idea of keeping going, but less often is good, and as he gets older he might be able to 'tolerate' the singing time.

When our boys were younger and we went to these groups there were always some todders running around during song time. FGS.
Maeve, mother to:
Con, full of fun (22nd may 2004)
Cathal "I'll do it" (9th february 2006) and
Sophie 'so far so good' (31st august 2007).

Offline elf

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 13:57:31 pm »
I read your entire post but only skimmed through the replies so hope I don't repeat.  Just wanted to let you know that my daughter would have (and did) behave the same way at 2 years old and I was the mum with the screaming child putting the shoes on and explaining that she couldn't jump on the trampoline.  Just wanted to let you know that at 3.5 years that is not the case at all.  My girl is totally spirited but by 3.5 she totally gets the explanations to things and we can discuss what is expected and how it may make her feel etc and she is absolutely fine... though not at 2 years old.  Second time around with my 15 month old son and I'm beginning to see his spirited side come through, I will probably just carefully pick what I take him too over the next year, knowing that by the age of 3 he will cope so much differently.  But, if I choose to take him to structured activities where I know it will set up a tantrum because he will want to do X,Y and Z, then I'll at least be prepared for it.  For us, this behaviour passed with age and maturity... Those sorts of 'rule's just did not work with my daughter and at times I wondered if I should just let her 'learn these rules' at that age and was I spoiling her etc, but no, not at all.  The daughter I have at 3.5 years old is very different to the one I had at 2 years old - though still spirited, strong willed and stubborn, that outgoing, confident, fearless, happy, energetic personality does understand 'rules' and what is expected and those sorts of events/playgroups are not only fine but totally enjoyable - because of her spirited nature...