Author Topic: How do you know if its milk intolerance ?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline sonimusical

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How do you know if its milk intolerance ?
« on: October 27, 2010, 23:17:49 pm »
My almost 16 month daughter loves eating yogurt/cheeses but didnt like the taste of milk ( she has been formula fed since she was 9 months ). I slowly introduced milk into her bottles and decreased quantity of milk and she seemed to do fine with it. She did have watery stools on and off but I usually relate that to teething as she's not being fussy or anything.

As of last week, she threw up when she had more milk in her diet than usual as I completed his transition to whole milk and no more formula. It happened 3 times so I thought I'd stay away from milk but continue with milk products. She started getting more watery stools and then I stopped the yogurt/cheese as well when I noticed that she ate some cheese of my pizza and continued with watery stools. For one week I didnt give her any dairy and there didnt seem to be any trouble at all.

Yesterday I gave her yogurt and she threw up 3 times and has real bad watery stool. I spoke to the nurse and she's not convinced that its due to milk. I am confused as to what else it could be !!! She told me to give her yogurt again and see if there's any reaction. I didnt give it to her as she's already thrown up and pooped enough.

I will continue to be dairy free for a few days and try slowly again..any thoughts ?

Offline hatshetsut

• Formerly hollyj
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • Peekaboo!
    • Global Tots Travel Blog
Re: How do you know if its milk intolerance ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 23:46:05 pm »
My best friends kids are all sensitive or allergic to milk. The one with the milk allergy throws up after she eats it. The others with the sensitivity get diarrhea after having it. So, yes, it sounds like she has it based on my experience. It can take up to two weeks to get the milk completely out of the system. The other thing to consider is that TONS of processed foods have milk as a component. Crackers, pastas, chips, some soups, cookies, etc.

I would cut out all dairy if you can for two weeks and see how she does. Then add in just whole milk and look for a reaction.

HTH!

Holly
Abigail - Defines Spirited! - 5-1-06

Katherine - Is a mystery wrapped in a cute package - 4-13-10

Offline sonimusical

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 00:03:08 am »
Thanks for your reply. I will cut off as much dairy(hidden ones as well ) as possible in the new few days. Can the intolerance just start out of the blue ? Past few months she's been loving yogurts and cheeses...

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 00:49:59 am »
Could she be lactose intolerant? yogurt and some cheeses don't have much lactose, but straight milk would. Or she is MPI and has some tolerance?

Holly is right, dairy is hidden in tons of things you wouldn't even realize, and if she is super sensitive you even have to look out for whey/casein in things. Even McDonald's fries have dairy in them!
Heidi

Offline sonimusical

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:19:30 am »
I am lactose intolerant....hopefully she didnt get it from me...I guess the only way would be to cut dairy for a while and then slowly try things again and see...

Thanks for your suggestions moms..appreciate it !