Author Topic: 7mo starting to refuse solids  (Read 1384 times)

Offline IheartR

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7mo starting to refuse solids
« on: October 28, 2010, 13:27:30 pm »
Hi

I realise this is quite similar to another post but I wonder whether the issues are the same? Anyway, DS is nearly 7 mo and up until a couple of weeks ago we were doing fairly well with solids. I'd introduced them a little early as he is a big boy (following 75th-91st centile) and so milk wasn't enough. He was starting to eat a fair amount of puree and starting to nibble on some finger foods, while still having 4 bottles of formula (no DF) and usually sttn. However, he then got a cold and understandably went off his food. He also had a cough and would often be sick after a feed, usually milk but sometimes solids too. He is now over the cold and cough but is still really off his solids for nearly a week now.

He has been mainly having fruit and vegetables but i'd started to introduce a little yoghurt and some chicken. He has eczema so I've been very wary about introducing new foods. He seemed to really enjoy his solids but now just isn't interested. He'll happily sit in his high chair and sometimes take a few spoonfuls of puree but then just won't open his mouth if he doesn't want any more. With finger foods he usually just plays with them. I've tried the foods he used to like and some new foods but he still won't take more than a few spoonfuls. Sometimes he will get a little ratty if i keep trying to feed him or if he gets bored I think, and I don't want him to have a negative association with food so I usually leave it.

Milk wise, he is still having 4 bottles a day and usually takes around 6 oz per feed. This amount hasn't really changed even though he's not having his solids and for about 5 days he's been waking up between 4-5:30am wanting milk. He doesn't seem any hungrier during the day.

I thought it might be teeth as there is his first one starting to come through the gum but he isn't showing any other signs of teething.

Any advice on what to do? I don't know whether I should be feeding him when he wakes up at night (he will go back to sleep after he's fed), or whether I should be starting to cut down on the amount of milk he gets?? Is it a phase, or related to his teeth? Should I keep trying new foods to find something he likes? i'm a bit stuck!!

Thank you

El xx

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 14:54:54 pm »
Hi El.  :)  Sounds like it might be teething related to me.  You said one is starting to come through, which means the second isn't far behind.  He might just not feel up to it.  Whether or not you keep feeding him at night, well I think that's up to you really.  He won't be as hungry for solids if he has a NF, but if teething is causing discomfort it's kinda hard not to give him milk when he's hungry when that's all he wants to eat.  I definitely wouldn't cut back on his daytime milk.  What if you only gave him a little bit when he wakes, just to take the edge off his hunger?  You've got the right idea, keep trying and staying relaxed about it.  I suspect it is probably a phase.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline IheartR

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 7mo starting to refuse solids
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 16:03:06 pm »
Hi Martina
Thanks that is reassuring! I was thinking I was getting a fussy eater already!! Yes one tooth is definitely poking its way through. On a related note - a friend of mine said that babies are sometimes more sick when they're teething. DS has never really been a sicky baby but in the past few days he has occasionally been sick (and not just a little bit) for seemingly no reason - could it be related to the teeth? I initially thought it was because he'd had cheese in his lunch about 3 hours earlier for the first time but it's happened once or twice since then.

DS is quite decisive now about how much milk he wants to drink - when he's had enough he stops and refuses any more but if he's still hungry he will scream til he gets more!! Therefore I think I'll carry on the night feed and just ride it out. I guess I should keep offering him solids as usual?

xxx

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 16:26:51 pm »
I'm not sure if there's any hard evidence to suggest that babies are sick more when teething, but I have definitely heard moms say things like that as well, so there has to be some truth in it!  A lot of moms of refluxers will say they've noticed reflux flareups and increased spitup during teething, and teething can also cause low grade fevers or diarreha.  Of course, whenever a baby is sick it's not a good idea to always assume it's teething and if you're unsure then run it by his doctor, but when there are not other reasons it seems that very well could be the culprit.  Yep, I would keep offering solids like you usually do but don't press the issue if he decides it's not for him at the moment.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline IheartR

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 7mo starting to refuse solids
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 20:41:44 pm »
Brilliant, thank you!

X