Author Topic: 11wo doesn't like pram or car. Help, stuck at home!  (Read 3236 times)

Offline nednoodle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
11wo doesn't like pram or car. Help, stuck at home!
« on: November 02, 2010, 21:48:39 pm »
Hi, hoping someone can help me out.
My 11 wo DD has always been clingy and also has reflux so basically had to carry her for 7 weeks.  She has been trained now to sleep in moses for naps and night using 4 s's.  My problem is she doesn't like her pram or being in the car.  I can sometimes take her for short outings in the pram, she will nap on and off, but not decent sleep.  She must be the only baby I know who won't settle in the car.  I take my 3yo DS to swimming lessons once a week, a 20 min car journey there and back and without fail she will scream at some point until I have to stop the car to settle her and stick her dummy in (and hope she doesn't spit it out!).  She can only sleep in moses, not even on me anymore (tried when visiting today).  I feel trapped at home just to ensure she gets a decent sleep.  I keep asking friends to come here instead of visiting them.  Anyone got any advice on how to make car journey more appealing/help her sleep?  Thanks!

Nikki

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: 11wo doesn't like pram or car. Help, stuck at home!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 21:52:29 pm »
TBH I had the car issue with both of mine and I didn't have any alternative to driving to certain places and they just got used to it.  I seem to remember it was quite a short phase and we just powered through it.

dd2 wasn't a good sleeper in the buggy either, but again, I didn't really have any alternative some of the time and she did get used to it - I think 11 weeks is really young with #2 (it took us about 4 months to get anything sorted/consistent with dd2) so I would try not to get too stressed about it.

Offline nednoodle

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 21:55:35 pm »
Thanks, I just stress when I hear her screaming in the car, she makes herself ill and I can't concentrate on driving!  Like you say, she'll just have to get used to it.

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 22:03:35 pm »
 She will likely get a wee bit more flexible the older she gets too. Its so tough in those early days when they are so prone to OT. (((((hugs)))))))  :)

scucci1979

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 00:28:53 am »
I know exactly how you feel. My lo will scream the entire time she is in the car seat. They do outgrow it. Hugs

Offline *Janet*

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:22:16 am »
Mine doesn't love the car seat either nor the pram. So you are not alone.

I think they outgrow this at 3 months or so. I tried to let my DD take the cat nap on the car seat yesterday but he resisted. The minute I transferred him to the bouncer chair - he could fall asleep. Aren't both seats equally inclined?

My strategy is to drive when he is close to a nap time - super drowsy and prays he falls asleep on the journey. Obviously we do not always have the luxury of time to plan all our activities around the nap times.

Offline *Amy*

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:23 am »
my one hates the car seat - screams so much so that I think she is going to give herself a hernia :(
Buggy........don't think she has been in it more that 3 times since she was born! Sling all the time!

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:23:30 am »
Big hugs, I know how you feel. My DS hates the car and screams the whole time and hated the buggy until I moved him from laying flat to the upright seat - but he has reflux so that's probably the reason. I expect if your LO has reflux that the same.

What pram do you have? Can you make it more upright for him?

Offline Maxmiliansmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • Dancing feet:-)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:08:17 am »
Maxmilian and I were in Africa for 9 weeks between his 6th-8th month, during this time he was never in a pram.
When we came back home he did not like it for weeks... but i could not carry him around so I remember I just decided that this is what it is going to be and eventually that problem faded... and now he LOVES his stroller even tho he walk and runs he still goes off to the stroller by himself and points and "asks" to sit in it :-)

Like everything else, CHANGE is the only thing that is for sure ;-)
Maxmilian was born 3rd of september 2009.

Offline nednoodle

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 21:10:57 pm »
Thanks everyone, will keep persevering.  Thought I was the only one who had a little one who hates the car.  Had only heard of people taking kids out in car to settle them!  My DS used to fall asleep almost straight away, still does sometimes, but not this one!  Also screams to the point of making herself ill.  I wondered if putting her in the front so she could see me would make a difference, but worry that she would be too much of a distraction for me driving.  Have just bought a spiral thing with dangly toys to put on handle to amuse her, will try anything!  Have a bebe confort loola pram, with windoo carrycot on chassis at moment.  Should maybe change it to pushchair as it can recline and rearface, might help, thanks.

Offline *Amy*

• Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:38:42 am »
all i had to do was show DS the car seat and he was asleep LOL
DD....forget it! oh and if I close the car door too hard.....meltdown.....I have a feeling I have a touchy baby :)

Offline nednoodle

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 15:47:27 pm »
Think mine is touchy too!  Any loud noises with DS crashing around she jumps or flinches, she has no patience and like you say meltdown if she doesn't like or want something.  Can't decide if it's just because she is female!!  LOL.

Nikki

Offline biggreeneyes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 18:02:52 pm »
Hi Nikki,

I had exactly the same problem as you with Ben.  He hated his pram from the word go and he screamed all the way back from the hospital in the car seat!  Then, unless he had just fed and i went in the car straight after, he would cry non-stop til i got to my destination or eventually fell asleep...but i hated it and felt awful and worried he would think i wasn't going to him when he cried :( I did buy a clip on mobile which helped a bit, but not always, but i think it would actually bang into his face now if i put it on, so it didn't last long!

BUT....literally in the last 2 weeks (and Ben is 16 weeks) i'd say, he seems quite happy most of the time in the car and i think it is because his vision has become clearer and more focused and he seems to enjoy looking around the car and out the window and seems happier. 

So hang in there...as it may all be about to change! 

I have one of those sensitive babies too!  He always flinches when I shut the car door or boot too!