Author Topic: Solids before bed?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Solids before bed?
« on: November 04, 2010, 20:19:11 pm »
Hi my LO is 5 months old (23 weeks) and has reflux. Due to small milk feeds and constant hunger, especially through the night, our ped consultant said to try some baby rice. BUT he said to give it with her last feed of the day! Now I always thought you started introducing solids and new foods in the morning? So for two nights I have given her a 5oz bottle and then the baby rice. Last night she took about 4 baby spoon tips full and then tonight about 10!! But tonight she was so wriggly and restless when I was settling her down and I am worried that she is going to bed straight after her food, that can't be good can it? Any suggestions or ideas as to what to do would be great.

Offline mmom

• Showing Appreciation 96
Re: Solids before bed?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 21:14:13 pm »
We were also told to introduce solids with both LO's as a result of reflux.  With DS#1 I started with cereal in the morning and even once we increased the amount of solids, still ended our night on a bottle.  Now with DS#2 who is also 5 months, I started with sweet potato in the morning and has he has gotten used to it, I have increased feeds, yet still offer a bottle before bed.  I know the thinking of starting solids in the morning is because it could upset their tummies more.

I understand you wanting to fill your LO's belly and decrease reflux symptoms, but I would still start solids in the morning and end your day with BF or bottle.  As your LO gets used to solids, they will naturally fill him more during the day.
Kara

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 21:27:34 pm »
I agree with Kara.  The reason for starting solids in the morning is so if your LO has any reaction to them, you have the day to hopefully sort it out, instead of dealing with it at night.  Also, their digestion slows down at night when they are sleeping so it could upset their tummies further.  Now, the reason I believe it is suggested to do rice before bed for reflux babies is so that the solids will hopefully keep the acid down overnight.  Personally I think the risk of LO reacting to the solids and then having tummy issues at night is worse than having to continue to work through the reflux until solids are properly established.  Especially since you are starting a little on the earlier side, your LO's tummy could be a bit sensitive to rice cereal. 

I can sympathize with your LO having reflux and struggling with small feeds and hunger.  But really solids don't necessarily fill up a baby's tummy any more.  I think a better route, if you would like to start solids now, would be to go slowly and introduce new foods in the morning.  Then moving them to lunch and eventually dinner as you incorporate more foods.  You can start with rice cereal if you like, but something like sweet potato or pears might be a little easier to digest.

Another little thing that I have run into with my DS2 (who also has reflux), is he is just not keen on purees, cereal, or being spoon-fed.  I was of the mindset that if I started solids at 5mos it might help fill him up more because he too takes small feeds and is hungry a lot.  But he would have none of it!  So I decided to wait and go slower because I don't want to risk forcing him to eat before he's ready and possibly having larger problems down the road, kwim?

Hope that helps a little bit.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: Solids before bed?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 22:54:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It is not because I want to fill her up that I am giving the rice at night but because that is what the paediatrician told us to do. I don't really want to go against what he said but I also agree with you both that it could upset her digestive system which is why I posted. I just don't know what to do as she seems to enjoy the rice and swallowed no problem. How would it be to stick with rice before bed and introduce new foods in the morning? Would that be too much for her to take so early?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 23:58:39 pm »
No one can tell you what's right for your LO.  Ultimately it will be your decision.  Of course her paed's advice is important, and it's always important to take it into consideration.  But you don't have to do what he says if it doesn't feel right, nor do you have to do what we suggest either!  Parenting is all about making informed choices. 

Whether or not rice before bed plus new foods in the morning is too much, well that's really up to her.  Has she had any tummy troubles or food intolerances thus far?  Guidelines are to wait until 6mos for gut maturity before introducing foods but many babies do fine earlier.  DS1 started at 5.5mos without any issues and we introduced new foods quite quickly with him. 

If the rice doesn't seem to be a problem, then that's great!  I would give her a few days with only rice before introducing the next item.  The general rule is wait 3 days before adding new foods to watch for reactions.  It's good practice to keep a food log too.  Do what you feel is best for her.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012