Author Topic: Strawberry Reaction - burning rash!  (Read 13966 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Strawberry Reaction - burning rash!
« on: November 08, 2010, 00:28:37 am »
Hello,

I think my DD has had a reaction to eating strawberries for several days in a row last week... she is now suffering a HORRIBLE diaper rash that looks like a burn all over her diaper area. I'm pretty sure it's not yeast or anything like that. At first I thought it was the diaper rash cream, but she's never had that reaction to it before (nor to strawberries!!) but now I'm wondering if it's the strawberries.

What can I do to help alleviate the rash?? Anything in particular? I've been trying to let her go without a nappy all day and TBH it's just about worn me (and her wardrobe!!) thru. Not only that, but it's night time and I can't let her go to bed without a diaper.

Any ideas??

Megan

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:07:35 am »
I'm pretty sure strawberries are one of the more allergenic foods.  Maybe stop them for awhile and see if the reaction clears up?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Strawberry Reaction - burning rash!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:00:09 am »
We had great luck with Aveeno diaper rash cream - when Dylan had bouts of diarrhea he would get a NASTY diaper rash (absolutely raw and blistery, he has eczema too which complicates things) and we would goop on the Aveeno with a layer of vaseline over top.  I've heard that sudocream (sp?) is a good one too, but we found that it aggravated his eczema.  I also let him go naked as much as possible (just put old bedsheets down on the carpet) and wiped his bum with a soft damp cloth rather than diaper wipes.

Martina is right that strawberries are a common allergy in LOs (something to do with the seeds I think), but you mentioned that that she's had strawberries before with no trouble?  How many times has she been exposed to them before?  And were they real strawberries, or strawberry baby food?  You also mentioned that she had them several days in a row - I wonder if it could be a quantity thing?  For example, Dylan LOVES blueberries - but I only give them to him once or twice a week, and never 2 days in a row.  If I do he gets horrible, horrible poo (not diarrhea, but awful smelling, blackish, sticky, sorry if TMI) and diaper rash.  But as long as I limit them he seems to be ok.

(((hugs))) to your dd :-*  It's so hard to see them uncomfortable :'(
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:11:00 am »
Thanks guys! Yeah, I know strawberries can be allergenic, but she's had them several times in the past, along with raspberries and blackberries and never had a problem. I too was thinking it was a quantity thing.

They were real berries - frozen mixed with yogurt. She had it several times last week, the last day being Friday, and I can't remember if the rash started thursday or friday, but it was just minor at first and I put desitin on it and it just got worse and worse and it's pretty much all over now. I thought it might be the desitin that was doing it, but she's never had a reaction to that either.

I'm just not sure how to treat this b/c I'm afraid to use any more rash cream. Although, I did end up using it for overnight tonight. I just couldn't let her chafe on a wet diaper all night. I put vaseline under the cream though, I hope that wasn't the wrong thing to do...

Megan

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:25:23 am »
We like the Aveeno diaper ointment too, and also the Burt's Bees one is amazing.

I think when it comes to allergic reactions, it is possible to have been exposed to the allergen several times before a reaction occurs.  I guess the best thing to do would be to stop whatever you think the issue might be, and then try again at another time. 

:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:30:59 am »
I think when it comes to allergic reactions, it is possible to have been exposed to the allergen several times before a reaction occurs.  I guess the best thing to do would be to stop whatever you think the issue might be, and then try again at another time.
What Martina said :)  It's definitely possible for anyone of any age to develop an allergy to something they've been previously exposed to with no problems.  The easiest way to know is to cut strawberries out until everything has healed up (give it at least a week), and then try offering them again.  If you get another reaction you know what the problem is, and if not it was likely a quantity thing or a coincidence.

I don't think that putting the vaseline underneath will hurt at all - technically it's a protective ointment too.  I like the aveeno because the oatmeal in it is soothing, and TBH it's the only zinc oxide cream that didn't make Dylan's eczema flare up!  (Nothing like getting rid of a diaper rash only to cause something just as bad :P)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:13:10 am »
Alex was allergic to strawberries although he has grown out of it now.

I second everything the other guys have said- firstly, nothing beats Aveeno cream. The oatmeal in it is especially soothing on the skin, and it is ideal for sensitive skins. Me & the kids have sensitive skin prone to eczema, and we use the ordinary cream after bathing each time and we all have lovely skin!

Sophie was allergic to Sudocrem, but not at first. It only happened after a nasty nappy rash and that seemed to set it off. After that Sudocrem just made it worse. So could be the cream aggravating it?

Alex was not allergic to berries the first time he had them. He also was allergic to tomatoes, but not at first try. Both allergies developed after having a few days in a row, so I too was unsure at first. His reaction manifested as a horrible rash round the mouth which flared & blistered immediately, and a really nasty nappy rash which bled and upset him no end. He was also allergic to strawberry and raspberry flavoured yoghurt, so you may wish to avoid those too.

He was able to tolerate these foods by the time he was 18mo. However, like Vikki, I can't give him tomatoes or berries 2 or more days in a row, as it will upset his bum again.

hope this helps, and hope it clears up soon
x
]

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:31:41 am »
The other thing it could be is food intolerance with a low threshold of tolerance.  I am thinking that she could have an issue with the whole salicylate group - all berries, stone fruits, citrus, grapes, coconut products, certain veges like tomatoes, broccoli, olive oils, peanuts, avocado, corn.  If so, after eating a certain quanitity of any of these foods she reacts. All contain salicylates, and it is the build up of the chemical that matters - so you could eat only a small amount of strawberries, stone fruit and avocado but added together its a huge dose of salicylates then whammo! A reaction!    Salicylates do burn the bum...

The intolerance reactions are often similar reactions like allergies although not immediate everytime you eat them.  If she is sensitive, then she won't need to eat much before her threshold is breached.   Anyway, something to keep an eye out for...  an allergic reaction is also very likely - as PP have all said.

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 13:59:42 pm »
Thanks guys! And yes, I have stopped giving her strawberries... seems kind of obvious ;) And I'll definitely watch out for the other acidic foods and foods with high salicylates (thanks for the list Eloise)!

The rash looked a bit better this morning (before she pooed again and now it's really red again even tho I changed it immediately) and I'm going to leave her in cloth w/no cover again for most of the day and I have some burt's bees so I'll try that at nap time. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go get some aveeno and try it.

So could be the cream aggravating it?

I think that's what might have happened, which is why i'm so hesitant to use any of my normal creams (desitin or butt paste). I just don't know if it's the cream or teething or strawberries... I guess time will tell.

Thanks everyone for all the input and advice!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 15:48:36 pm by bug_blues70 »

Megan