Author Topic: When to increase amount of solids?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
When to increase amount of solids?
« on: November 13, 2010, 23:05:54 pm »
Hi my DD has been on solids for 10 days now. She has weaned early at 5 months and 1 week as recommended by our reflux consultant. So far things are going great with her eating, we are taking it slow and introducing a new food every 3 days, she has had pears, carrot, sweet potato and apple so far. Oh and baby rice but stopped that as she didn't react well. I have only been offering 1 ice cube size of purée for her new tasters in the morning and 1 ice cube sized portion of established foods that she likes in the early evening. She always has a 5 or 6 oz bottle first before her purees and takes about 34oz of milk in a day.
I was just wondering when I can increase this amount because she wolfs down her evening food, I can't reload the spoon quick enough! When she has eaten it all she opens her mouth at me for more, so cute. Should I give her more at this feed or stick as I am for now? TIA

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 14:55:33 pm »
It's up to you really.  As long as she's getting all the milk she needs then you can offer a little more.  Just keep an eye out, some babies don't know how to tell when they are full!  Another option would be keep offering the same amount for now, and in a little bit start incorporating more finger foods in as well.  That way she can control how much she gets to eat and will learn how to feel full from feeding herself.  Does that make sense?

At the moment I think you could slowly start to offer a little more.  There are no rules really, just follow your baby's lead and keep making sure she gets enough milk, which by the looks of it she is!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline besjoux

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 00:27:44 am »
Agree with PP. I also look for stools to be sure that they are not constipated. But that's a fear of mine since my last son became severly constipated and we are still paying the price for it. He's on milk of mag every day now. Be sure that your LO is getting enough milk to help with fluid intake. Milk is #1.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
Re: When to increase amount of solids?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 22:06:09 pm »
Thanks for your advice, things are still going well but we have come to a bit of a sticking point now. DD is still taking enough milk each day as I make sure that she has 5 or 6oz of her bottle and then offer the solids. She is taking about 1 to 2 ice-cube size portions in the late afternoon and a few small spoonfulls of new tastes in the morning. She doesn't seem hungry enough to take more though because of having her milk straight before. Is it worth trying to offer the solids about an hour after her milk feed, rather than straight after? Also she is not 6 months old until next week, so when should I move to three 'meals' a day? I was thinking of trying...

7.00 milk feed
8.00 breakfast solids

11.00 milk feed
12.00 lunch solids

3.00 milk feed
4.30 dinner solids

6.45 milk feed and 10.30 dream feed

Is she too young for this yet and am I trying to move too fast? I am happy to go on as we are but am concerned that I am not moving her on as I should be iykwim? Any ideas would be great thanks. Oh and as for the constipaton, the fruit and veg have worked wonders for this. She has always suffered and used to go once every couple of days and it was a struggle for her. Now she fills her nappy three times a day with no straining at all!!  ;D

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 22:28:48 pm »
That looks like a good routine if she's up to it.  It's about what I was doing with DS1 after 6mos.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:32:31 am »
Ok thanks I will give it a go then. I guess if she isn't ready she just won't be interested in her 3 'meals'. Thanks again.

Offline MommytoJack

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 17:16:04 pm »
is that what everyone normally does? Bottle/Breast feed then have solids an hour later?  I have been giving the solids first and then the bottle all at the same feeding time.  He will not take much of either..maybe I should split it up.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 17:28:07 pm »
I think it's a good idea to split them up and make sure you give milk first.  You want to offer milk first so that your LO doesn't fill up on solids and not get enough milk (milk is more important).  Also, giving solids an hour later does give them a chance to get hungry again.  But remember it's ok if he's not hungry to eat a lot of solids, getting to try them is more important than filling up on them.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline MommytoJack

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 17:33:39 pm »
Perfect Thx, I'll start doing this tomorrow!!!

I am so glad I found this site phew~!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 21:42:01 pm »
I have tried all kinds of times to offer solids and it is still really hit and miss as to how much, if any she takes! I find that she always takes her milk whenever I offer it but takes more solids if she is more hungry. I am just keeping on trying different times and trying to get the solids into her as best I can.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 00:34:28 am »
I have just put together an new FAQ that might help a bit:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182686.0
:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010