Author Topic: constipation and weaning  (Read 1322 times)

Offline kat_m

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 15, 2010, 19:55:37 pm »
Hello! I am new to this forum so I am not sure whether this topic was discussed. I have just introduced baby rice to my 5.5 months old girl (first day). She ate it really well at 11 am but now towards the evening she appears to be constipated. I keep offering her water and increased number of breastfeeds ( I combine breastfeeding with formula). Can I give my little one baby rice tomorrow or should I wait? What do you guys think??

Offline besjoux

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 00:25:21 am »
I have had very bad lucky with the cereals and actually avoided them alltogether this time. The iron supplementation really caused my 1st son to get horribly constipated.  Maybe you could try pears now? That is a great 1st food and is unbinding :) Some babies just don't do well on the processed cereals.

If this is your first feed you might try cereal again, however, just in small portions. Think of this more as an activity rather than truly "feeding" your baby. Did you just offer cereal for one feed?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:35:31 am »
Is she trying to have a bowel movement with no luck, or is it just that she hasn't had one since having the cereal?  Constipation is more when they are straining to go but can't, or the stool will look like little pellets.  It might have slowed her down which is normal, and maybe she will have one tomorrow instead.  That said, rice cereal can be constipating so it's something to keep an eye on.  I would offer pears, as suggested.  It is much easier on the digestive system.  You can continue with the cereal if you like and it's not causing further problems, but it's not necessary so don't feel bad if you decide to skip it and move onto other fruits and veg.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline sensfan

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:00:03 am »
Rice was horrible for DS, I don't know if I'll give it to DD at all. One thing that always helped with DS was prunes though :) Might be a little early to give those to your little one, not sure, but once she's a little older it definitely helped my guy to keep things moving!

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: constipation and weaning
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 13:05:11 pm »
We had the same problems with baby rice at first and it gave my DD a really uncomfortable tummy. So I stopped the rice and introduced fruits and veg, slowly to start with until she got used to each one over a few days. Pears were my first choice and she loves them and they really clear her out and so does sweet potato. We have been lucky as my LO has always suffered with constipation and now on fruit and veggies twice a day she fills her nappy three times most days!! I have now slowly started adding small amounts of rice back in with her fruit purees,  building up the amount and she has been fine with it now. I think until her tummy got used to solids the rice was just too much for her to digest. Hope your LO is ok and good luck if you try fruits and veggies.