Author Topic: 8 week old and little activity time  (Read 1930 times)

Offline taylorsmummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
8 week old and little activity time
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:37:54 am »
My 8 week old DD is quite sleepy and i am trying to give her as much activity time as i can. She is a very quick feeder so by the time we have finished feeding half an hour has passed and then she can be tired within the net 30minutes. I try to stretch her out so that she has been up for a total of 1hr 15 but sometimes this is a push. Any suggestions for what to do or if this is ok? She is so sleepy that within waking, i feed hr straight away and she can fall asleep on breast within minutes...frustrating...

Offline Mom_to_L&S

• Sophie
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:31 am »
Hi there,

8 weeks is still pretty tiny. I think an A-time of 1H to 1H15 is ok for a Lo this age. Some babies are higher sleep needs than others.
My DS was still VERY sleepy at that age and often only had 1H A-time (In fact, at 14 weeks old now, he still only does 1H15 to 1H30 at the very maximum.)
I used to worry about this too, but then realized he is high sleep needs and it's ok to follow that!
So don't worry, as long as you adhere to the right order of EASY-elements, you're fine :)
L 6 years old, S 3 years old

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:46:07 am »
Agree with PP.  My LO is 6 weeks and can barely make it to 50 minutes before she needs to go back to sleep.  If I miss that window she tends to be harder to get to sleep so I'm not pushing it at the minute.  Just go with what your LO needs and follow her cues and you can't go wrong xx

Offline taylorsmummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 8 week old and little activity time
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:50:18 am »
thanks guys, very helpful. I have relaxed and just reading her cues well. She is so good if i get the signs right and into bed she goes straight to sleep. Great little girl.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Re: 8 week old and little activity time
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:15:04 am »
Hi taylorsmummy - we're at the same stage and my LO also can't handle long A times, he can be very hard to settle even if we head for the nap at the very first sign of tiredness! But I just wanted to add that you really can make the most of burping and nappy time - as well as feeding - to talk, sing and interact with her. Our LO just loves having his nappy changed, so even though it seems that most of the time we're just trying to get him to sleep rather than having 'proper' A time, it doesn't mean that we can't enjoy each other too :)