Author Topic: Salt in hemp and coconut milk  (Read 1204 times)

Offline kathylou

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Salt in hemp and coconut milk
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:07 am »
Hi, I have a 10 month old little girl with a severe MPA, and I am hoping to wean her of the breast at 1 yr. I have read other posts where people have said that they have used other milks to substitute such as hemp and coconut at this age. DD already has some of these in her diet, as well as having Nutramigen AA with her breakfast cereal (she point blank refuses to to drink the stuff though, can't say I blame her as it tastes vile!). I was hoping to use either hemp or coconut milk or a mixture mornings and evenings, but having looked at the ingredients of the fortified milks I buy - 'Good Hemp' and 'Kara' coconut milk, they both seem to contain salt. It says on the hemp milk that it has 5% of adult RDA of sodium per 250ml serving, which seems quite a lot to me. DD does not have any salt in diet if I can help it, does anyone know if this amount of sodium could be harmful for babies? I know you can start being a little less strict about their salt intake post 1yr, but even so, giving her something that contains salt day in day out goes against the grain for me. Or does anyone know any brands of these milks that don't have salt? (I am in the UK). I don't use rice milk as dietician said they no longer recommend it for children under 5 as has some sort of arsenic (!) in it. Oat milk seems to be just oats and water, not great nutritionally. I will ask dietician about all this but not got appt till Dec. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline kathylou

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Salt in hemp and coconut milk
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:36:22 am »
Oops meant to say that she is also allergic to soy, goats milk etc!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 13:14:18 pm »
That's actually equivalent to a serving of cow's milk and soy milk (I have both in the fridge and they both had 5% of the RDV of sodium). Sodium is naturally found just about everywhere, and some is necessary for cellular function.  The trick is not adding additional salt (in cooking, as seasoning, etc) where you don't need to :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline kathylou

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 13:58:11 pm »
Brilliant, that's a relief! Thanks :)