Author Topic: Silly quick question about soy/soybean oil  (Read 1809 times)

Offline ericapt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Spiderman and his sidekick, Little Bee!!
Silly quick question about soy/soybean oil
« on: November 18, 2010, 02:53:44 am »
Hi, this will probably sound very strange, but if LO has a soy protein intolerance does that mean that I should avoid any food item with soybean oil or soy lecithin?  I've been reading up and it sounds like those 2 are NOT the same thing as being allergic to soy.  Is this correct and can anyone explain why?  Thank you in advance.

Erica
Erica

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Silly quick question about soy/soybean oil
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:16:43 am »
I think it is because they are so processed that none of the proteins are left that would cause the allergy.  I know from another site (Kids With Food Allergies) that the FDA in the states doesn't consider either of them an allergen and they don't fall under labelling laws.  So, something could say vegetable oil and in fact be soy oil.  This list is from that site:

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/docs/Soy_Allergy_Avoidance_List.pdf

Heidi

Offline ericapt

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Spiderman and his sidekick, Little Bee!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 15:06:10 pm »
MasynandSpencer-  Thank you for that information.  Do you allow your LO or yourself to eat things with soybean oil and soy lecithin?  Just curious.  From what I've read it said that most people with soy allergy do not have a reaction to the soybean oil or soy lecithin, but I guess some people might.  I find it hard to believe that if someone eating it directly doesn't have a reaction that my DD, who is getting it only through my breast milk, would have a problem.  I really appreciate your input!   :)

Erica
Erica

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 16:43:29 pm »
Oh, we aren't soy allergic...just milk and eggs, but I just remembered reading about it.  I guess the only way to really know is to have foods with that in a see what happens.  I suppose it is a bit like my dairy allergic toddler being able to handle small amounts of hidden dairy, like whey in McDonald's chicken nuggets, but not full blown dairy. It's all trial & error!
Heidi

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 19:24:11 pm »
My LO definitely seems to react to soybean oil... had the blood appear after a meal out and later found out the salad dressing had soy oil in it. :-(