Author Topic: Miserable post bath time-help please!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline mrsbennett

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Miserable post bath time-help please!
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:14:50 am »
My DS is 9 weeks old and seems to love his bathtime apart from at the end. He's happy to be in the water (loves kicking & is ok if the water gets in his eyes etc) but he screams & cries a couple of minutes after we take him out and we can't figure out why. I don't think he's cold (we try to dry him & dress him as quickly as poss) & we've started putting the towel on the radiator to warm up first but he still works himself up into a complete state which is a real shame when he's enjoyed it so much up to that point.

Anybody else experience something similar? Is it just that still wants to be in the water & is having a tantrum?! Any tips in how to keep him a bit calmer?!?! Thanks in advance!

Offline mokey_cat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Miserable post bath time-help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 13:49:25 pm »
Hi there - DD1 was like that and DD2 seems to be the same!!  I tried everything to settle DD1 after bath time but she just screamed until she was fed.  We ended up realising that when she came out the bath, she realisd it was feed time and could not be bothered with the dressing part so just screamed from getting out the bath until she started feeding.  Does you LO settle when he is fed?  I think we  started giving DD1 a small feed before her bath and that really helped us.

X

Offline mrsbennett

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 17:46:40 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion but we already feed him pretty much immediatey before his bath so I don't think he's hungry straight after his bath.

We can calm him with shh/pat & cuddles + dummy but it takes a good 10 mins & then he falls asleep from all the stress. We're gearing up for tonight's bath so we'll see if he's any calmer tonight!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 19:32:22 pm »
Have you tried bathing at a different time of the day? Sometimes it's too OS before bed if they're already on the way to being tired....which then gets them worked up and a bit OT feeling and just grumpy. Also, no matter how not cold you think they are....they are. DD can tell me now that she's cold...and our house is warm and I get her into her PJs right away, but she's still cold right after her bath. She tolerates it now, but she was a crier when she was younger. I think that was partially the reason. I'd try at a different time of day just to rule out that it isn't TOO much before bed but if that doesn't help...then just be resigned to the fact that your LO needs to get warmed up, snuggled and cuddled before calming down after a bath.

Best of luck!

Offline mrsbennett

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 21:13:52 pm »
I think you might be right on the cold front; we got an extra towel on the radiator tonight & only uncovered each limb as we were moisturising & dressing him & he was positively calm throughout! DH & I and DS thoroughly enjoyed the experience for once; long may it continue (but if it doesn't, we've got a few more things to try too now)!!

Thank you both for your help!!

Offline mokey_cat

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 21:21:12 pm »
Excellent!!  It makes it so much easier when they stay calm  :)  Hope you have cracked it.