Author Topic: flavouring food??? Help please!  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Miracle Baby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:54:20 am »
hi :)

I was just reading the recipie swap ideas - some great ones!

Unfortunately a lot of these rely on tomato for flavouring.

AG is in intollerant to the following (breaks out in ezcema, sore tummy and stirs up reflux)

dairy
soy
wheat
gluten
fruit
tomato
potato
pumpkin
orange kumara
Artificial additives (we have tried allergen free gravy but she still reacts to it - only thing I can think of is all the artificial additives in it)

Dinner time is becoming a major battle field and I am looking for interesting ways to cook dinner.  I think AG is also inherantly fussy!

I'm just so frustrated at the moment and just wish I could feed her what we eat - apart from that SHE is frustrated that she can't eat what we are - she knows it's different and it drives her mad!

Ideas please!!!! :-)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:10:54 am by Miracle Baby »

scarlettsmom

Re: favouring food??? Help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 18:02:52 pm »
Hi,

I know how frustrating it can be, especially when they start noticing a difference.  How old is your LO?   

So it looks like meat, rice, broccoli, carrots, peas, nuts (depending on her age), fish, eggs, grapes, hummus (chickpeas, olive oil....would have to make homemade because of lemon), gluten free breads/crackers..(not sure where you are but there are rice crackers at places like whole foods here in the states that have no preservatives)...etc., are all ok?

Just trying to grasp what's available and how old your LO is?

If mayo is ok you can make a gorgeous chicken salad with cut up grapes and mayo, put on rice crackers, or just eat plain.  Turkey or chickent and rice pot pies with gluten free dough.  Gluten free pasta with olive oil.  Things like that?

My dd2 lived off of peas, turkey, pears and almond butter for months.  I would literally make a vat of sweet peas and she would have them morning, noon and night.  Luckily she loved them....now she won't touch them, I don't blame her!

Offline Miracle Baby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:14:57 am »
Yeah breakfast is pretty much rice porridge, lunch is peanut butter on "toast" (if you can call allergen free toast "toast" lol!) and dinner is one or a combo of the following

rice with creamed corn and either spiniach or peas
cold sliced beef
fish
chicken
quiche
fried rice with brocoli, bok choy, carrots and mushrooms
kumara roasties

snaks are rice and corn crackers and corn cruskits and occassionally grapes or watermelon but we have to be careful with those

She'd eat peanut butter on toast for every meal if she could but that would be bad for her and bad for our wallet!  Allergen free bread is so expensive!  Frustrates me!

Oh and AG is 17Months
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:18:03 am by Miracle Baby »

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: flavouring food??? Help please!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 16:12:26 pm »
Can she eat lentils, sweet potatoes and carrots? (sorry if I'm being dense, I don't know what orange kumara is)

If so, I used to make a really simple sweet pot and lentil curry for DS. You could use a small amount of curry powder to flavour it if she can have it, or if not what about actual curry leaves?

These days DS has it with chicken stock, a bit more spice, onions and tomatoes. But when I first made it, it was literally just carrot, lentils, sweet potato, water and a tiny bit of curry powder!!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 16:50:02 pm »
Can you make creamy sauces w/ milk substitutes like rice milk or coconut milk? I don't know much about allergies and intolerences as DD didn't have trouble, but I was just thinking I've used a lot of soups to make casseroles, etc. like cream of mushroom and cream of chicken and I was wondering if there was a way to create something similar w/ substitutes and then make a big batch and freeze and then have them to use to prepare some meals. Then you could just add spices and seasonings as pertained to the meal.

Offline Miracle Baby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:36:54 am »
Good suggestions! :) 

I actually used coconut cream tonight (before reading this!) and she seemed to like it. 

It's very hard to find Chicken stock that doesn't contain wheat (or barley) but when it's there I use it. 

Orange kumara are a type of sweet potato but white/red kumara are fine, so I might try that lentil stew and see how she goes with it.

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:32:36 pm »
Reading somewhere else that some people roast red peppers and then 'blitz' them to use in savoury mince instead of tomatoes. Apparently it's very tasty! 
So what about a savoury mince dish?
Spaghetti bolognese with no tomatoes and gluten free pasta?  Also read that one lady doesn't put tomatoes in at all but makes sure to use flavourful veg in it like onions and mushrooms - maybe that's an idea?

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 17:41:38 pm »
Hey, not sure where you are, but I've just checked my chicken and veggie stock cubes and they both say that they're suitable for a gluten free diet.  The Veggie one has 1% tomato in so she may not be able to have that, but I can't see anything on the chicken one that's on the list.

They're Knorr stock cubes.  I guess pretty high in salt but when I''m using them for DS I tend to just shave a little of the cube off into the sauce or use more water to make it up.

If you can't get them, I'll happily send you some so you can give them  a go!

XXX

Hang on - just realised that they have potato starch in so does that make them a no go?

Offline Miracle Baby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 09:03:56 am »
thanks again for more good ideas :)  May try peppers but seeing as neither DH or I can tolerate them will be cautious but hey - she may be totally fine :)

I'm in Invercargill NZ.  We have a liquid stock that is ok - it's just very popular so no sooner does it hit the shelves and it's gone again!  We just have to hope to hit it lucky then "stock up!"  (oh that's terrible! lol) when we find it.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 10:37:07 am »
Hi Luv,

Sounds like he can't tolerate many salicylates- (fruit and the veg)

Me and DS2 are on a similar diet as I am still breastfeeding. I use two particular cookbooks alot - do you know of these?

http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/resources/foodintol/friendlyfood.cfm
http://www.judyoz.com/ccp0-prodshow/failsafe-cookbook-sue-dengate-new-softcover-recipe-book.html

Both books list low chemical (low salicylate, glutamate, amine) recipes free of allergins and wheat/dairy/soy/egg and no additives/preservatives  which is basically our diet at the moment.

He can't tolerate any sort of stock cubes they are too high in glutamates - if not aritificial falvouring then the natural flavourings of yeast extracts are just too high in natural chemicals to be tolerated.  So we make all our own stock.  I am guessing your LO would be the same, I know the if they are sensitive to synthetic additives then usually sensitive to the natural ones too?

A few hit meals around here for me and him are (mind you he's only 8 months)
- dairy free risotto
  make with homemade stock, fried leeks in dairy free butter, risotto rice, celery, baked potato bits, carrot, shredded cabbage

-lentil and vege patties (or else add mince)
mixed canned lentils cooked rice and diced veges and withe egg or egg replacer to form into patties.  Coat with rice crumbs and pan fry.  They taste really hearty and yummo!

I just tried the low chemical nut free lamb skewer satay recipe in Friendly Food last night and it tasted so close to the real thing... yummo!

HTH

Eloise

Offline Miracle Baby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:19:09 am »
true! I never thought of the salicylates connection!  thanks! :-)