Author Topic: weaning off bf, which milk to use (aller: milk, egg, soy, nuts)???  (Read 3222 times)

Offline tracy21

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I've been breastfeeding my 13 month old baby since birth and am returning to work soon and need to know which milk to use. He is severly allergic to milk, soy, eggs, and nuts. Any ideas which is a good milk to use? Has anyone ever had success with goat's milk for a cows milk allergic baby? I talked to a dietian and she said most milks that aren't cows milk don't have enough nutrients and/or fat in them to keep a baby healthy. She didn't give me any suggestions once she told me this  :-\. I want to ensure he doesn't react to whichever milk I choose but of course is getting the vitamins, etc he needs. Any advice?

Thanks  :)

Tracy

Offline LizzieN

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 143
Re: weaning off bf, which milk to use (aller: milk, egg, soy, nuts)???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:27:48 am »
Hey sweetie,
From what I have heard in my journeys goats milk is not different enough to cows milk that it is usually acceptable to babies with milk allergy.
Our son was put onto an elemental formula called Elecare when he was suspect MSPI - it is very expensive if not on prescription however.

A lot of mums use rice milk and add coconut cream to up the fat content.  Oat milk is another option, but there are studies to suggest (apparently) that oat milk does not release calcium well, so might be better to give this a miss as his "normal" milk.

I would look into an elemental formula if possible.

xx
Lizzie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:04:39 am »
I don't know where you are at, but there is a brand in the states called So Delicious and it is coconut milk.  It is organic and certified non-GMO (if that is important to you)  Coconut milk contains more of the fatty acids than rice or some of the other grain based drinks.  Hemp is also a good choice, but I think it tastes quite bad.  Both are not cheap.  I have been drinking coconut milk bc DD is MSPI and she has not had issues and I find it is also the most palatable.  I plan to give this to DD if she is unable to handle cow milk.

HTH

Good Luck

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 14:54:23 pm »
Hi Tracy,
I was about to post the exact same question!   DS has just turned 12 months old and I need to be finished with bf'ing as it is no longer working for the rest of the family (long story).  He is MSPI, among other things.  My family Physician feels a hypoallergenic fomula is going to be the best bet but it tastes AWEFUL and I'm not going to hold my breath that DS will accept it.  I was considering goat's milk too but had also heard that the proteins were too similar to cow's milk protein.  The coconut milk suggestion (thank you Mommy Mertel!) has peeked my interest and I will have to research that some more  I have an appointment with a Dietician in a few days and will ask her.
Let me know if you find out any more and I will share any info I find with you too!  :)
Helen

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 17:21:03 pm »
Not sure where you are, but DS in the UK was prescribed Neocate which is a dairy, soy free formula - it takes disgusting but DS will happily take it as a milkshake (pureed melon mixed into the milk!!) or in cooked food (he is nearly 2 so probably more fussy that your LO will be).

We were told not to give DS rice milk due to inorganic arsenic levels!  DS has oat milk which has added calcium, but it's not a high fat content (but he eats sooooo much that his weight has never been an issue, etc and dietician is happy with this).
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 22:15:41 pm »
my son went on an elemental formula at 15 months as he was suspect mspi, it was vanilla flavoured and he loved it :)

Offline chars mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 23:50:18 pm »
Hi Tracy,
Have you tried anything yet?  We haven't although I did buy a tin of the hypoallergenic formula.  I would like to find something more palatable though.  I wonder if mixing it with coconut milk would do?
Let us know how you are doing!
Helen

Offline b_weezy22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 00:06:32 am »
I've been prescribed the neocate, which he hated but drank for a bit, but now will not even tolerate. We're trying to get the insurance to cover eo28 splash which is the same as neocate, just more like a juice box for big kids. :P It's so hard to get him to eat anything, all he wants to do is breastfeed around the clock, but begs at the table and then just plays with the food when I give it. He acts hungry so much and isn't gaining weight at all.. He's not skinny, still 21.5 pounds at 14 months, but it would be nice if he'd take something consistently! Pastas are working at this point, but I cant keep weight on myself with the restricted diet I've kept plus the bf'ing is really draining me.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:04:27 am »
Have you tried mixing the neocate with anything? DS (and DH!!!) drink it fine when mixed in with pureed melon ..... it is pretty revolting! Hope you get something sorted soon.

Dietician said that main thing was DS was getting his calcium, which eating Ready Brek (porridge fortified with calcium) almost covers anyway.  DS loves oat milk (again the one with added calcium).  I know the oat milk doesn't have much fat in it, but DS eats so much food that he makes up for it and dietician is fine with it.  I feel giving him oat milk rather than almways just water is better for him.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:47:09 am »
My ds was put on neocate at around 11 months. He would not drink it at first so I mixed it with his regular formula at first. We were on neocate only after about 10 days. It might work if you mix it with breast milk at first to help your lo get used to the taste gradually. I think as adults we think they will never get used to the taste because lets face it it does smell and taste awful but it is possible as many do accept it over time. My ds who is 6 will still drink it. We still have some left as only stopped having it regular about 6 moths ago when his eating improved (he had quite a severe food aversion), and we still have some left that is in date.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline sherry lynn

• Showing Appreciation 127
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 18:54:30 pm »
I was wondering how everybody is doing? We had total breast refusal today??? Teething I guess. I'm going to keep trying to BF for a day or so, but I think after that I'm just going to throw in the towel because he is 11 months old anyways.
I gave him a sippy of rice milk, and will buy some coconut milk at the store.

DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline Mommylu5

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 00:05:38 am »
Can you give him coconut milk if he has a nut allergy? It is considered a tree nut so I have been avoiding it while I am BF'ing my LO. Is the protien not in the "milk" or do they also use the pulp of the coconut?
And I agree with the goat milk comment. My nutritionist told us to put my son on it when he couldn't drink cow's milk. And the goat milk work for him!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 00:10:09 am by Mommylu5 »

Offline ~Sarah~

• The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 22:11:35 pm »
Hi all-  just thought I would drop off this little bit of info, not that I think Dr. Oz is THE source for ALL medical advice, but this kind of sums up why coconut milk has become more of the favored alternative *milk* instead of rice, soy, or others.
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/coconut-oil-super-powers-pt-1

Can you give him coconut milk if he has a nut allergy
Don't for sure know the answer to this though sorry

Offline LizzieN

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 05:40:50 am »
I know Eloise can't give K coconut milk because it is very high in salicylates (like all nuts)...not sure if it reacts like traditional tree nuts, but I would be cautious giving it if your LO has nut allergy.
x