Author Topic: Trampolines - great? Or 5 minute wonder?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline elf

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« on: November 27, 2010, 23:17:46 pm »
We had planned to get DD a trampoline for Xmas.  She's loved trampolines since she was around 18 months.  We have talked about a trampoline for a long time.  After talking to a good friend yesterday and asking her how often her daughter used her trampoline (her girl also loved trampolines) she said about once a week - if that.  So for her girl the novelty has worn off.  I asked DD if she still really really wanted a trampoline in her back yard.  She actually said to me, "No, I like jumping on the ground and will jump at other peoples houses.  I like other things now.  I like scooters."  So now she is saying that she would like a scooter.  DH and I don't want to have a trampoline in our back yard if it's only going to be used every now and then.  Would love to hear from others if their children use their trampoline a lot.  I'm just wondering if the trampoline was something that she enjoyed more during her energetic 18 month - 3 year old phase and maybe it's not age appropriate now. 

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Trampolines - great? Or 5 minute wonder?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 23:51:32 pm »
Mouse has a small exercise one in her room.  And one on her swing set.  Both get used regularly by my Hurricane.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mortish

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Did some one say ice cream???!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 00:20:13 am »
We have a 12ft trampoline in our back yard and my two girls....2 and nearly 4 use it daily....if not 2 or 3 times a day:)

Offline elf

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:08:53 am »
I think that she would use it as well, and that maybe she's beginning to think about other toys because it's Xmas and I guess she's worked out that Santa will bring her a couple of things and she is trying to make the choice herself.  She has always loved Trampolines and in the past has broken her own bed from jumping on it and regularly sneaks into the spare room to jump on the double bed there!  Also have a 15 month old boy so I know it would get used by him, but another thing, is the space it would take up in the back yard/garden (which does have the room for it) so I want to be really sure.  I asked her again this morning and she keeps saying that she is happy for Santa to bring her a Scooter instead of a trampoline.  Just don't want to not get the trampoline and then regret it later IYKWIM...

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:45:43 am »
i think it depends on the kids - mine got their trampoline when alex was 3 yo and she is almost 7 1/2 and they still use it (we don't have it set up right now - since our trip - but as soon as they are at a friend's with one they get on it every time). my kids now do gymnastics as well so practice jumps and splits in the air etc. as soon as we move in 2 1/2 weeks i imagine they will be on it loads again
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 02:55:51 am »
I might be wrong, but it's been my observation that with some activities, having more than one child present is key.  DD goes on her trampoline about twice a week...but if there are other kid(s) here, then they all have fun with it.  My friend says the same about her pool....that her 3 kids really only swim when they have friends over....which sucks for her, since her pool cost about $40,000....and my trampoline was $20 at a yard sale.   :-\   In all, I really love having it...it gives us alot of laughs. 

Anyway...just suggesting that of you have neighbors/siblings/playdates, it will likely be a bigger hit iykwim. 

Offline elf

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 03:24:22 am »
We have lots of playdates here I know that it would be great fun for that as well - in fact I prefer it when all the kids get together outside rather than inside!  DD is also good at gymnastics so that is good feedback and something to think about for future years.  Whenever we go to Gymbaroo or Toddler Gym it is the first thing she goes to.  I guess a part of this is also DH isn't too keen - but this is more because he's just spent the past 2 years landscaping our backyard and I think he feels it would deter from the look of the backyard.  In a way, I agree... so I'm torn.  We have a large yard with a big sandpit that DH built, a swing set that still gets lots of use, and a large deck for riding bikes, scooters, rides ons etc - so there's no shortage of outside fun.  DH has worked very hard to produce a beautiful backyard with vege gardens , fruit trees etc and I think he feels that a trampoline would end up being the focus (if we got one, it would be one of those big ones with the net around the outside).  We were talking about it today and in the area where we would put it, another idea over the next year or so is that he would build a big cubby house - which I know DD and DS would also get a lot of use out of.  We have a bit of a sustainable house and he has this idea that he would build a cubby that reflects our design and this would be among the vege patch, fruits trees etc...  I think in a way I was hoping that some of you might say that it was a 5 minute wonder (which I knew wasn't going to be the case) which would make the decision easier... :)  For you Aussie girls, do you find that it ever gets too hot to jump on?

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 06:21:06 am »
My Mum bought us a trampoline when I was ~ 7, my sister would have been ~ and my brother ~1.  We used that trampoline on and off over then next 9 years, and my youngest sister also used it.  Mum only sold it when they moved and my youngest sister was ~13.  So it got about 22 years use out of it! :o  Now I know our family is a bit weird in that there is a 16 yr age gap between 'the baby' and me, but I honestly think that a trampoline is a good investment.
As teens, we used to sit on the trampoline and talk with our friends.  A quiet place with no evesdropping parents around.

I grew up in NZ.  And although it doesn't get as hot as it does in Aussie, I distinctly remember spending many summer days with the sprinkler under the trampoline jumping around in our swim suits.  Or setting up the hose to spray us as we jumped.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Mortish

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Did some one say ice cream???!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 07:29:49 am »
I'm in Perth...and today it is about 37 degrees celcius!  The girls generally will jump on it in the morning and then later on in the afternoon when I let them out to play...once it has cooled outside:)

Even in winter, when it was wet and cold, they would still get on it for a good old jump....only thing is, had to change their clothes then because the mat holds a bit of water underneath it and when you jump it goes on to the net:)

Offline Aly Mac

• Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 07:39:11 am »
I was going to say the same - I think the fun is with more than one kid. Lil got one end of last month and it's not the big hit we thought it would be. but when friends come a different story.

she also wants a scooter!
Aleesa.....

Offline ikesmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two angels walking this plane
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:51:27 am »
We have had ours for 18 months and hayden still loves it. Whenever he has play dates they always use it and he for a on ut mist days, even when it's raining he outs his bellies and cost on. Keaton loves it now as well. Was defiantly a good investment for us.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:27:38 am »
like pp said i woudl use it in summer in early morning or late afternoon - it is great in that 4-5pm window before dinner or even later now that my kids are older

2 weeks ago we were at a friend's place after school and it was unusually hot. all the kids stripped down and she found swimmers for all - they jumped on the trampoline while she or one of the kids sprayed water on them (loving the end of the drought!!) so they got active but stayed cool and had heaps of fun
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline elf

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 00:59:01 am »
Thanks everyone... I know that DD would also love it, so I'll have a good think about it over the next week or so.  We are also in Perth so I hear you on that 37 degrees yesterday!!!