Author Topic: Gutted, soy intolerance too. :-(  (Read 1949 times)

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Gutted, soy intolerance too. :-(
« on: February 07, 2011, 20:20:23 pm »
So my lo has been on dairy, soya and egg free diet since 26th December and we've had solid nappies since then. We've had the odd minor slip up along the way; bit of egg pasta and pieces of bread with soy flour, nothing noticable happened. So yesterday I decided to try lo with half a alpro choc soya pud at lunch......he was a bit grumpy in the afternoon but that could be anything right? Then today at nursery they reported 3 loose nappies over the course of 4 hours. So is it too early to say it's a soy intolerance for sure??? Gutted!
My boy is 4!

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 21:35:58 pm »
no, but i always find within 24 hours, if something disagreed with DS, then he has loose nappies and is grumpy. so, i'd say yup. soy intolerance.

youre not the only one though! plenty of people here to help you through

lili xx
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Gutted, soy intolerance too. :-(
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 18:29:49 pm »
Hi, how are things now? Have you tried any more soy?

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 19:04:01 pm »
Hi and thanks for asking. No I daren't as I really don't feel comfortable with the runny nappies and bum rash, so reluctant. Still trying to get in contact with the dietician to seek his view. Will keep inntouch about it. Is your lo intolerant. Apols if we have discussed this already, memory like fruit fly! ;-)
My boy is 4!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 19:16:45 pm »
Not sure about soy here. We are testing at the mo too. In fact he has had mouthfuls of that choc soy pot too. He seems to be OK on it but only had it for 2 days. Have read it can take longer for intolerances to show.

It is so hard with intolerances as your LOs nappies could be anything. I guess you have to go with your gut instinct right? I don't mean to be flippant but at least if you leave it a few days and try again (maybe with less soy) then a few runny nappies aren't too bad. Hope that doesn't sound awful  :-[. For us, we had nights of long NWs and they really are hard to test against!

I am wondering myself if those choc soy pots are considered hidden soy. I think when testing dairy yoghurts are lowish risk as they have been treated at high temps?? I am not really sure  ??? might start my own post  ::)

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 19:25:37 pm »
Hidden soy? What's that? Do u mean because it is mixed with other things? I'm a total novice and coward! :-)
My boy is 4!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 19:44:09 pm »
See I don't know myself. Just read it on here! Assume it is not full on like giving plain soy milk. It is tiny amounts as mixed in something else?? Liz will know  ;) Liiiizzzzzz???

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 20:34:05 pm »
Ok,
blimey.....well if he reacted like he did with 3 watery napies, red raw bum and general grumpiness with small amounts, hate to see him with full blown soy milk! Ekkkk!
My boy is 4!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 22:48:09 pm »
Those chocolate pots are essentially made from soya milk. Soya milk is basically ground up soy beans in water (that is what rice and oat milk is as well really).

So giving those is giving soya milk - so a full soy challenge  :).

Hidden soy is things like soy flour in a loaf of white bread, or a muffin, or textured vegetable protein in processed goods. Or a small amount of soy sauce in a recipe.

To do a challenge you really do need to do the 'real thing'. If you go for a teeny hidden thing it can take up to 2 weeks for the tolerance level to be reached, and then you end up never being sure whether they reacted to it or not (as usually by then something else will have happened as well, like a new tooth coming, another new food, a cold etc). So you are best to give a small amount of the genuine article and see. If you were retrying something they were sensitive to at a younger age you would do it differently - this is to try something that may or may not be an issue.

If you give a normal portion of a new food (a baby portion not an adults) then the reaction shoukd show within 4-5 days.

But on a one off it is SO hard to say, and you really do want to be sure with this. So I would heal his bum and get his gut back to normal, then retry, but half a pot is too much. They are for adults, not babies. I would just give 1 tsp and see, if nothing give 2 the next day, and then if nothing 3 the next. That would mean you got to a normal child portion within 5 days and would be sure of whether your LO is reacting or not. You could use a soy yoghurt, or even soy milk. Whatever really.

To my knowledge they will either tolerate soy or they won't. There a degrees of dairy tolerability due to the proteins being denatured by the cooking or fermentation process (that is why yoghurts and cheese are often tolerated first). But these soy products are not manufactured in the same was as soy milk does not behave in the same way as cows milk.

Does that help ladies  :-*. You even had me on then alpro website to check my soy knowledge  ;). DD was intolerant via BM, but the last time I tested myself was months ago. I am thinking of doing a formal test soon as well, but I think she is a bit young yet.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 23:42:23 pm »
Agree, soy is very very seldom fermented these days and is included in much larger quantities than was traditional, and often when it is fermented it's a faster fermentation that doesn't completely break down the proteins. Soy is actually hard for most people to digest; littler ones tend to be all the more sensitive to it tho. :(

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:12:11 am »
Ok, really really useful info there. I think I will try egg this weekend, leave the soy for now as it's a bit complicated all this fermenting business etc, need to start with basics and get my confidence back. Thank you all, will kepp you posted! Lisa
My boy is 4!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 22:33:51 pm »
Brilliant advice Liz. Thanks x. I am feeling quite positive about Olly and soy now. He had about 1/4 choc pot for 2 days running, nothing yesterday and some more today (he LOVES it!). Going to give it another couple of days to make the 4-5 days and then think I will say he is OK with soy  ;D. Won't be giving him soy milk straight away. Will still build up to that but just ordered a few more soy foods to add some variety to our diets  :D

Offline LisaK1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 10:07:00 am »
Update from me, spoke to dietician and he has told me to leave soya for a minimum month but to try a dairy challenge in the form of yoghurt. He recommends starting with half a petit felous size one day, leave 2 days and assess any reaction. If no reaction, repeat this pattern for 2 weeks always assessing progress. After 2 weeks go to one full small pot every 2 days, wait 2 days and assess, repeat for 2 weeks etc . If there is a reaction at this stage then go back to previous stage iyswim. All great but lo now has a bloomin cold or teething (not sure yet!) so not sure I should start new challenge today as cold Or teething might confuse results. Patience is a virtue!

Good for your lo buntybear, good to hear lo us doing well on choc pots! :-) 
My boy is 4!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:08:59 am »
Good luck with the dairy challenge. Fingers and toes crossed for you x

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 16:54:40 pm »
dairy can produce mucous in sensitive individuals. I'd wait till he doesn't have a cold or you might not be able to tell whether it's caused by the cold or the dairy.