Author Topic: Need some basic help for MSPI please  (Read 1909 times)

Offline L76

• Thanks
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« on: January 02, 2011, 21:13:32 pm »
Hi

Still getting to grips with weaning DS (he's now 7months) who is being investigated for MSPI and what with moving house, christmas etc, have been a bit lax with moving his diet on from good old vegetable purees!

So going to get cooking tomorrow but need some advice for my shopping first. I am UK based so need to know UK ideas ideally...

Oil - what can I use for cooking?
Butter - have found a range called Pure - is that ok or should I look for something else?
Bread - need to start finger food - do I go for Rye bread?
Milk in cooking - do I use his Aptimil Pepti or something else?
Stocks - realistically don't have time to make it myself so what can I use - is Boullion ok?
Pasta - are the 'free-from' supermarket ranges ok? Am I looking for rice pasta?
Any other grains to try with him?

I am looking to make the following:

Lamb stew with potatoes, carrots, parsnips and swede
Beef casserole with carrots, mushrooms and potatoes
Pasta sauce with tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots
Beef bolognaise and pasta with tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots
Winter vegetable stew eg sweet potato, swede, carrots, butternut squash, parsnips etc
Chicken casserole with butternut squash and carrots
Lentils with vegetables

I also am looking for ideas for desserts - DD grew up and lived on yogurt - so what can I do as an alternative? He isn't keen on fruit on it's own.

Thanks so much in advance  :-*

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 21:36:33 pm »
Quote (selected)
any should be fine, except soy oil, though i know some find it that their MSPI bubs is fine with soy oil, but there's no reason to use it really cause there are lots of subsititutes.  just use your regular oils - olive, rapeseed, sunflower, etc
Quote (selected)
Butter - have found a range called Pure - is that ok or should I look for something else?
Sainsbury's makes a line of free-from products and they have a dairy free, soy free spread.  it might be the Pure you have found, not sure!  It isn't great for frying but is fine on bread and stuff!
Quote (selected)
we didn't use bread at all, lots of other finger food options were available!  most english breads have soy flour, so just check the labels on rye bread.  DS had crumpets when we started him on grains, warburton's or kingsmill i believe!
Quote (selected)
if it is something that needs milk in it, then the best thing is his formula, though i just tended to avoid using it at all costs as it does not always turn out right.  pancakes were okay with formula for instance but not custard!  so if it needed milk and his formula didn't work, i just skipped it!
Quote (selected)
Stocks - realistically don't have time to make it myself so what can I use - is Boullion ok?
they would be okay from a milk/soy aspect but they are generally not advised for under 12 months due to the high salt content.  but, there is usually no dairy or soy in them, you would just have to watch to see if it says it is made in a factory line that also processes dairy/soy, so it would be unique to each brand, really.  i did use OXO for DS a few times after he turned 1 and so it was def dairy soy free.
Quote (selected)
unless he has a wheat problem too then you can use any pasta, there is no milk or soy in pasta, just wheat semolina and water, really! so any old pasta out of your pantry is fine!
Quote (selected)
in addition to milk and soy, we kept DS gluten free until 11/12 months which meant no wheat, rye, barley or oats. about 9ish months i started him on other grains though like millet and quinoa. he hated both  :P

Quote (selected)
I am looking to make the following:

Lamb stew with potatoes, carrots, parsnips and swede
Beef casserole with carrots, mushrooms and potatoes
Pasta sauce with tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots
Beef bolognaise and pasta with tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots
Winter vegetable stew eg sweet potato, swede, carrots, butternut squash, parsnips etc
Chicken casserole with butternut squash and carrots
Lentils with vegetables
I can't see a problem with any of them - really they are just meats and veg, so no dairy issues at all!  TBH for home cooking i didn't find avoiding milk and soy a problem at all, really as meats and produce are fine...it is when they near 10-12 months and you are looking for a packaged snack to keep in your nappy bag when i ran into problems (though lots of the organix product line is milk/soy free when you do hit that stage!)

Quote (selected)
I also am looking for ideas for desserts - DD grew up and lived on yogurt - so what can I do as an alternative? He isn't keen on fruit on it's own.
i made fruit crumbles a few times when DS hit 9/10 months and was onto gluten free oatmeal.  fruit cooked in a saucepan until soft-ish and you can add a bit of sugar, spread it in a pan and mix oatmeal together with his butter spread.  if you are not gluten free you can make a better crumble top as you can use proper flour!   you could try making a custard with his formula and see how it goes!

Thanks so much in advance  :-*

[/quote]

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 22:11:52 pm »
Hey Mashi. Thanks so much

Really helpful. The dietician has advised us to trial him on dairy, wheat, soy, gluten and egg free! I am ok with the dairy and egg bit it's the soy, wheat ang gluten where I am struggling!!!!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Need some basic help for MSPI please
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 22:52:08 pm »
Just tagging along, the veg I tried DD on gave such a bad reaction I've stuck to plain baby rice, it's all the poor kid eats pending our appt with the dietician (been referred no appt yet) Mashi that is super helpful xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 15:01:13 pm »
Leanne - missed you round here - sounds like we are in very similar positions here. I have done a bit of this stuff for myself though due to the BFing. Still feeling VERY lost on weaning Megan though and she is getting hungry - barely lasting 2.5hrs between milk feeds now.

Megan is mainly on fruit purees - she has never really taken to veggies.

Like Mashi says - any oil - just be careful with 'vegetable oil' as that can be soy based - check your labels.

Pure is a decent sunflower spread - watch out as they also do a soya based one. It is the green one - the yellow one is the one that you need. I have found other spreads in health food shops as well though - I have a bionia organic one ATM that I got from a farm shop and it is really nice!!

Most rye bread contains wheat. If you want to try bread I would go for a 'free from' one that is gluten and dairy free. But check your label for soy. Gluten free bread often contains egg as well though, so watch out for that. I actually use a breadmaker to make my bread and I am going to try to make gluten free for Megan soon so I will let you know. I find the 'free from' bread in a supermarket yuck - it has a very dry and crumbly texture.

Milk - there are some things that just don't work with formula. You can use either oat or rice milk. Oat milk can theoretically have gluten but my dietician said the amount in the milk would be too low to be worried about. Rice milk is only suitable as a main drink from age 5 but can be used in cooking.

Have a look in Boots - they do organic stock cubes for babies that are salt free. Just check the label though - but I think they are fine for a restricted diet as well.

You will need gluten free pasta if you want to do pasta. The annabel karmel range carries some gluten and dairy free pastas.

Other grains - I have a big list at home from the dietician - but obviously you will need to do a lot of home cooking to use them. If you haven't got a list I will post one for you. Oats are worth a trial on their own as a lot of gluten intolerant people can tolerate oats as it is a contamination issue rather than true gluten - and that will mean you can give a ready brek type thing. The plum baby cereal is make from rice, quinoa, millet and aramanth - so you could use that as a base for a breakfast cereal.

Organix snacks are VERY helpful - as are their rice cakes. I let M have them already as she isn't very keen on being spoon fed. She can do it herself, apparently!!

Puddings - have you tried adding something to sweeten the fruit? They can be quite tart otherwise. I'm thinking vanilla bean paste, or stewing with a vanilla pod in. Or maybe some cinnamon in apple or plums? It is tough though. I have just found a recipe for a rice pudding make with coconut milk that I was going to try myself - but something like that could work for the LOs as well really. Custard is a no no really due to dairy and eggs. You could do a fruit jelly out of a fruit puree and gelatine leaf - but it tends to be toddlers that like that stuff rather than a 7 mth old.

I saw a dietician with Megan who was really really good. So I do have loads of info on things to look for on labels if you don't have that info yet. She said not to feel rushed into grains and meats etc as the slower you go the more likely they will tolerate things as they have had time to mature. She was definately someone that felt a lot of these issues have been caused by early weaning in previous generations. She suggested 8ish mths to get the meats going, 10 mths for a gluten trial, similar time for egg, and leave the soy and dairy until 12 mths plus.

I got frustrated recently as I just want life to be easy - and M to eat the convienient things that J does - I gave her a breadstick. She got terrible, terrible wind pains, and screaming NWings.

Have you still ot constipation issues? I am struggling with M on that one.

Hope there is something helpful in that. It is my New Year challenge as well. I just need to get motivated to sort the poor girl out.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 18:17:25 pm »
Sorry Leanne I did not realise there was more than milk and soy to eliminate. So do as Liz says, not as I said! 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 18:53:37 pm »
Hi, I shop in Sainsbury's and buy their own brand DF marg (£1), thier own brand GF pasta (fusilli as easy for Olly to hold) and they sell a GF bread in a red bag which is also egg and soy free. Olly LOVES it! I will eat it if it has an egg on it! They also sell an oat milk fortified with calcium but if heis FF then use that. I BF so can't advise there. Stock cubes - heinz do a baby one. And I second the organix snacks - always have at least 3 bags on the go!

Offline L76

• Thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:14:49 am »
Thanks so much ladies.

Tried sweetening the plum cereal today with pear and he took a bit more than usual.

And tried some lamb the last few days. His trouble is that he seems like he wants it but anything going in gives him some pain - probably a bit like the association you had with Jacob Liz.

I think the trouble is the wind pain he has. But I know it's not the solids causing it as he's always had it. It happens as soon as any liquid, no matter how small an amount (even 1-2ml of water) hits his stomach. I can hear it hitting and the air bubble forming immediately.

I found some pasta in Tesco and some flour for cooking with. I've been using water instead of stock cubes but I do remember seeing those ones in Boots so will have a look. He's ok with the Organix carrot sticks but the others he's not so interested in. And not interested in picking up any food to eat. Although of course, he will pick up everything else in sight and try to eat it! Typical.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:19:21 am »
Jacob was the same - he lived on toast and pear puree for MONTHS. I was at my wits end.

Feeding aversion is very difficult  :(.