Author Topic: switched and constipation?  (Read 917 times)

Offline kirstym

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:27:03 pm »
Hello can someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

My DD is 6 weeks nearly and for the last 2 days i have switched her to formula during the day and BF during night time, she hasnt passed any stools since this! she has got load of wet nappies though! she only drinks about 3 oz 4 if im really lucky every 3 hours. but yesterday and this morning she is constantly groaning and grunting? is she hungry? when i make her another bottle after 1.5 hours she only drinks 1 oz, she hasnt got wind (after nearly 30 mins of patting) still no burp?

she has now become snacker? im going crazy as all this is making her OT and making it all seem worse!!

all help would be appricated

from a very frustrated and tired mummy of 2 xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: switched and constipation?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 13:16:14 pm »
Ok - she could be a bit constipated by the change to formula, it could be because her system needs a few days to adjust, formula is much harder to digest than breast milk. You can offer her a little cooled boiled water between feeds if she seems unsettled but no more than about 2oz over the day.

The size of her feeds, 3-4oz is a fairly normal feed size for a 6 week old, some are taking more at this age but not that much. I would stick to offering her 4oz bottles every 3 hours for now, unless she is giving you hunger signs earlier. The fact that she is having plenty of wet nappies and is content to go 3 hours between feeds is a good indication that she is getting what she needs.

Keep an eye on the poo situation, although not every baby goes every day so it isn't always a problem if they don't. If she really seems to be struggling then it would be worth speaking to your Dr or Health Visitor for advice.

HTH!

Laura