Author Topic: How would I know if dd intolerant to CMP?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline dinkiedoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How would I know if dd intolerant to CMP?
« on: December 06, 2010, 14:40:55 pm »
Hi there I'm new to this great forum and think I've posted my initial post in the wrong section!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182801.0

My question is how would I know if dd is intolerant to the milk would it just be a case of trying her on Nutramigen again and seeing if she settles. We're 19 weeks in and very little improvement, still squirming, dry skin on her cheeks and behind her ears with a funny smell to it even though she has a bath every night, loose green nappies (on cow & gate comfort milk), today I'm sure I saw mucousy bits in it  (almost like snot sorry) and little white flecks of something which I see from time to time. Paed doc seems to think reflux I'm not so sure as she's on Losec mups and not a huge improvement, still very windy and takes very little in the way of milk and never sleeps for very long! I'm just about on my hands and knees here from being so sleep deprived.  ??? :'(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 14:47:40 pm by dinkiedoo »

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: How would I know if dd intolerant to CMP?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 15:32:40 pm »
When DS was younger and had cows milk (he was breastfed) he would get a really snotty nose - now he is older he gets very loose stools when he has any milk.

Have you been to the doctor about it? If so, maybe get a 2nd opinion too?  DS gets neocate prescribed (he wont drink it, which I don't blame him as it stinks!!, but eats it in meals I cook using it).  Neocate is dairy free completely.

I suppose with your LO being so young it could be her body just adjusting to getting bigger?  Baby massage is great for getting rid of wind, etc - clockwise circles on her stomach, and cycling her legs when she is lying on her back. 

DS used to get dry skin but it was too much chlorine in our tap water.  We didn't use any products on his skin ever and just moistured when it was really dry.

Lots of hugs - it will get easier soon. xxx
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 15:51:03 pm »
Hi dinkiedoo, welcome!  Your LO is adorable!!  ;D

The diapers are definitely a tip off to a possible milk protein intolerance, along with excema and difficulty sleeping you are describing.  Is your LO congested?  Is it worse at night/sleep times?

It's hard to diagnose brcause there is no test for it, the only way to truly know is to eliminate the milk protein.  As firstimemummy said, Neocate is a great option.

Were you on Nutramigen before and had issues with it??  If so I would for sure think MPI, and. Push to get on Neocate or Elecare. 

((((hugs))))) it is SO SO exhausting and frustrating trying to figure this out. 

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 17:04:47 pm »
DS got his stool sample tested and it came back negative - I think it needs to go to the lab and be tested within 1 hour!!!  We did an elimination diet under guidance from dietician to figure it out ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline kathylou

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 22:54:09 pm »
I have read your previous post and every single symptom you've described I have experienced in the early months of my DD life; she has a severe CMP allergy and soy intolerance. Although she was (and still is at nearly 12 mnths) being breastfed, the proteins were passing through my BM and causing; reflux,vomiting,green watery stools, blood in stools,mucus in stools, dry skin and rashes, smelly dry skin behind ears (even though she had a bath every night too!), and a host of other issues. My GP's did not pick up on this being CMP allergy at all, I came to this conclusion on my own research, and eliminated dairy from my diet, symptoms disappeared within a few weeks. It took till she was 8 mnths old for her to be referred to a dietitian and paed and even then it was the health visitor who referred her not the doc! Her allergy is very severe though and if she ingests or even touches CM directly the reaction is pretty spectacular; even though I had my suspicions about her allergy it wasn't till I tried her with baby rice mixed with formula at 5 mnths that I knew for sure (immediate rash, vomiting, wheezing, coughing and crying as if in pain). Don't know why the paed told you to take her off Neocate, but if I were you I'd get a second opinion and put her back on the neocate in the meantime and she how she does. Its so horrible when they're so unwell and you feel so helpless, hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Offline kathylou

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 23:06:09 pm »
Oh and she had the tongue thrush too! ;)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 23:20:51 pm »
You've just described what sounds like probable CMP intolerance and the way to find out is by eliminating for a few weeks. Milk and often Soy protein intolerances trigger reflux, so if you're treating reflux but not the cause, then you're unfortunately not getting the whole issue dealt with. I would stick with the neocate for a good 2-3 week trial to see if it makes a change.

Huge hugs :) It's really tough when they're so small and you need sleep so very badly. I'm a mother of three refluxers so I can say with confidence that I know it's tough but you will get there. Don't be afraid to give those extra cuddles and rock to sleep. A comfortable baby is your first goal right now. 

Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

scarlettsmom

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 17:21:43 pm »
Hi there, just checking in to see how you and LO are doing??  :-*

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 17:23:29 pm »
DS got his stool sample tested and it came back negative - I think it needs to go to the lab and be tested within 1 hour!!! 

Interesting.....our ped used an in office smear card type of thing.  Just took a minute or two. 

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 17:39:12 pm »
Afraid here I think most samples are sent to labs :(