Author Topic: how do snacks fit in?  (Read 881 times)

Offline torontotwinmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
how do snacks fit in?
« on: December 06, 2010, 16:57:25 pm »
a few meal related questions!

1) how do snacks fit in? when should they be happening?
2) how/when can I drop the middle of the day BFs?
3) how long should you leave between dinner and the last BF?  I'm not sure if I'm leaving it too late - both kids have refused that BF over the last few weeks, on and off (DD has refused it for the last 4 days) and I'm worried that my supply will run out.

This is a typical day:
7:00 wake
7:30 BF
8:30 solids
10:15-11:30 sleep
12:00 BF
12:30 solids
3:00-4:00 sleep
4:30 BF
5:30 solids
6:15 BF
7:00 bed

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 18:22:47 pm »
Most BF LO's will breastfeed at least 4x a day up until a year.  It's not advised to drop any of the daytime feeds before then.  As for snacks, you don't really need them until you start dropping feeds.  Your routine looks pretty good and similar to what I was doing at that age as well.  How much time you leave between dinner and the bedtime feed is up to you, but you might find they are not hungry enough only 45mins after.  Can you do it closer to bedtime and see if they will want to drink more?
Here is a link that might give you some ideas:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68458.0
:)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline torontotwinmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: how do snacks fit in?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 00:43:05 am »
The only challenge with doing it closer to bedtime is I would have to switch things around and do it after the bath, and I'm hesitant to switch our routine around as they're pretty good night sleepers.  I think I'm going to start serving dinner a little earlier, but I really don't know what do do about that late afternoon BF.  It's so close to dinner these days, it's hard to BF just before dinner and then just after as well...

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 00:55:33 am »
Gosh I can't imagine how hard it is to fit it all in with two especially!  Sounds like you are doing a great job.  You can try to hold onto 4 BFs a day until a year if you can but only if it's working.  I have heard some moms going down to three, and I suppose that if they are not taking the last one then it would be worth it to tweak your routine to move dinner earlier so they do take the bedtime feed.  Really, it would be better I would think for them to be getting 3 full, proper BFs a day rather than 4 with one or possibly two of them being incomplete, kwim?  Use your judgement and do what works for you.  I think that link I posted for you had a sample routine for 3 BFs/day as well as one for 4. 

Do your LO's tolerate dairy products?  You could drop the afternoon BF then and offer a yogurt or some cheese instead.  Just an idea.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012