Author Topic: Rice Milk intolerance?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline gogomama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« on: December 09, 2010, 13:58:59 pm »
As part of a test to see if DS was having a reaction to cow's milk, I bought rice milk for him to try for his BT feed and all NWs. I read that it is supposed to be one of the least allergenic forms of milk. Well, yesterday I sent a bottle of rice milk along with him to the sitter while I went to teach my evening class and when I came back she said that he had thrown up the RM all over right after drinking. She said that she thought he drank it too fast and it is a lot thinner than CM so I assumed the same thing. DS has only spit up a handful of times in his life so definitely not common for him. Anyhow, during the night he drank maybe 4 oz during his NW and didn't show any signs of discomfort until morning. This morning he had two BMs before his first nap (again unusual) which smelled absolutely foul, and a bright red bum and testicle area. He was in a lot of discomfort doing his second BM as well. Does this sound like allergy/intolerance? He has eaten rice before with no reaction, but maybe brown rice is different? The ingredients list: rice, water, sea salt, vegetable oil and a calcium supplement. All of those he has had no issues with before. No other new foods since yesterday either. Should I give it again tonight to see if there is a reaction? Is there such a thing as rice milk intolerance?

TIA

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Rice Milk intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 17:36:00 pm »
DS used to get REALLY wet nappies after drinking it but no red bottoms (he gets red bottoms with numerous foods - carrots, soya, apples, being the main ones  - it leaves a burn mark where the poo touched his skin, but he isn't sick or anything with it, but has rarely been sick, even as a baby)

.... try oat milk instead and see how you get on (Oatly, with red writing, in the UK has added calcium, etc).  We were advised by dietician not to use rice milk due to levels of inorganic arsenic content!!!  I think this is until at least the age of 5.

DS is on a dairy free trial through the dietician and she prescribed (well, got the doctor to) Neocate which is a dairy-free formula.  He is on the active one as that is for children over 1.

Good luck with the trial - it's tough going figuring out what upsets their little tummies.

L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 17:28:47 pm »
Thanks so much for your response and sorry for the delay in replying. I am pretty sure now that it wasn't a reaction to the rice milk, but DS getting a bad tummy bug. After that day I mentioned in the post, I stopped the rice milk and the nappy rash continued to get worse and the diarrhea and vomiting continued. Went to the doctor a couple days ago and got some creams and medication. He's been asleep almost all day today :( Will definitely try oat milk though in the future though bc of what you mentioned about Rice milk. 

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Rice Milk intolerance?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 19:11:24 pm »
Glad to hear it was just a bug (rather than an intolerence, that is!) - hope he is better now.  I also found that with rice milk DS was urinate for Scotland after drinking it, but is much better with the oat milk.

Oat milk is also nice if you mix it with porridge oats (twice as much milk as oats) and then just boil it up - tasty porridge, with no need to add normal milk or salt (Scots add salt to porridge but you don't need to with oat milk as it has a little bit of salt in it); English people add sugar to their porridge).

:)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!