Author Topic: Really struggling playing with almost 3 year old boy  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Sarah72

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Really struggling playing with almost 3 year old boy
« on: December 13, 2010, 14:04:32 pm »
I'm feeling bit rubbish at the moment because I am finding it difficult playing with ds (3 in the spring). I like doing puzzles, reading, talking and watching tv (!) with him but he just wants me to play with him all the time, playing with his cars. I try to pretend to park, drive and mend cars etc but get so bored after a very short time. Dh is excellent at it and they will build whole towns to play with but even when I copy what he does I just can't get into it. I don't know why I am posting really, just want some ideas and reassurance that I cam still play with my son!

Thanks

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: Really struggling playing with almost 3 year old boy
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 14:15:04 pm »
Awww....lots of Moms and Dads have different styles of playing. My dd is almost 4, and it is usually me who is sitting down, writing letters, painting with her, crafting, gluing.....but 100% of the time it is dh giving her shoulder rides, racing around the house, tossing her in the air, etc.  It's ok....both styles of play are equally as important.

At that age, dd and I did play cooking alot with her play kitchen.  We'd "make" dinner, sit down with our cups and plates and eat it up.  Do you have play food/dishes? Also...he can help you do things around the house...folding laundry ("how about you find all the socks and put them in this pile?")....dusting, etc.   

Coloring/painting/playdough are fun too......I can do these things with her, then leave for a few minutes and start dinner or whatever, then re-join. It helps that she can see me, as our kitchen is open and we can still chat and I can ooh and aaah over her artwork! 

Stickers!!!! Some paper and some stickers....!!   :)

Offline AngelaF

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Really struggling playing with almost 3 year old boy
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:27:55 am »
At that age, I lived by the motto "Fake it till ya make it". I was so bored a lot of the time. And I felt terrible, but I'd still do it. I realized that mine (I have twins) couldn't play independently b/c they hadn't learned yet. So I thought of it as teaching them how to play. And now they are much better at playing independently.

You're doing great!