Author Topic: texture issues  (Read 2252 times)

Offline sensfan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« on: December 14, 2010, 15:29:01 pm »
DD seems to have texture issues. She'll eat pears and other sweet stuff, loves green beans of all things, but if it's something less smooth she won't eat it. I made my own chicken for the first time and offered it to her, and she wants nothing to do with it, even when it's mixed with foods she likes. She won't really eat any cereal either. Any tips? Or do I just have to keep offering until she finally takes it? Starting to worry a little about iron intake...

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 18:22:01 pm »
Hi again :)

Don't worry too much about the iron intake, her milk or formula will be sufficient for now and in the meantime you want to encourage her to start eating more iron rich foods, but there is still lots of time for that.  Afterall, foods full of iron are no good to her if she's not eating them!  ;)

What about offering her finger foods and letting her explore them at her own pace?  Baby-led weaning is often good for this because it gives baby control.  She will learn how to deal with texture and will probably do it faster if you let her experiment with what she eats.  Here is some more BLW info:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=92560.0  My DS2 has been slow to take to solids and he absolutely will not be spoon-fed, so we have been doing BLW and he gets to eat at his own pace. 

Keep offering, but obviously don't force the issue.  If she doesn't want something, that's ok.  Remember, solids before one is more for fun rather than nutrition, so just go at whatever pace she likes.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline sensfan

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:30:38 am »
Logically I know all this. Good to hear it from someone else though :) I've thought about some finger foods...I think it was close to 8 months when I gave DS things like banana and avocado. Anything else that's been working well for your little guy?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 13:51:00 pm »
Isn't it funny how we've been through this all before but it's still all so new?  :P

DS2 has been slow to take an interest in solids.  He doesn't really like his chair much so will mostly pick and poke at the food for a few minutes before getting fussy.   ::)  He's starting to come around though.

So far I've offered:  apple (cooked), pear, banana, avocado, blueberries, brocoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, asparagus, sweet potato, peas, chickpeas, small pieces of meat, rice, organic O's cereal, granola, toast, crackers, pasta.

I mostly offer small, pea-sized pieces because he has a good pincher grasp but will also do spears/wedges as well.

He will suck and chew on the food but I can tell he is still trying to figure out how to swallow.  Although I know he is eating some because I see it in his diapers!  Right now I think he gets scared or frustrated if he gets too much food in his mouth, because he doesn't know what to do with it, and sometimes I have to take it out.  But in the past few days I've started to notice he's getting better at swallowing, so he is learning what to do even though he's not loving solids that much.  That's all I'm hoping for really, I know he will figure it out in time.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline sensfan

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 15:01:41 pm »
Good to hear he's doing better. I know what you mean though..it was supposed to be easier this time around! We were supposed to know all the tricks ::)

How did you do the sweet potato? I tried cooking wedges as a finger food with DS, and I think I just burned them :P

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 15:16:59 pm »
I just baked them in the oven.  It's really easy to burn them.  :P  I don't have a specific way I did it, think I just threw them in there for a few minutes.  The first time I did it I burnt them as well.   ::)  The second time I just put them in the toaster oven and just cooked them until they were soft enough and I think he liked them that way.  I haven't done it in awhile though, so should probably try again!  I'm afraid I'm just kinda winging it this time around!  lol  Maybe try coating them in olive oil first, and when in doubt keep the heat lower but cook them for longer.

Wait a sec, I have a book with a recipe, hold on....
Here we go - sweet potato fries
- toss 'em in olive oil (she also says you can add garlic powder or paprika, but it's also technically a toddler recipe, still it's ok to introduce some spices to your LO now)
- spread on parchment lined baking tray
- bake at 350F for 20mins or until tender
You can also try other root veggies, i.e. parsnips, carrots, potatoes

Got it from this book, it's FABULOUS!:
http://www.amazon.ca/Sprout-Right-Lianne-Phillipson-Webb/dp/0143173502
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Lvoo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 23:13:11 pm »
not sure about the texture thing, but when i'm starting out a new food and my son did not like it. I'd put 1/2 part of the new food and mix it in things he liked and if he takes it i increase the new food slowly until he's used to the taste. One of this new food was turkey.  Meat is harder to introduce so i coupled it with sweet potato and slowly my son like it =)

good luck!

Offline sensfan

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 00:14:17 am »
Nope, I've tried that. Her favourite food is pears, but if the tiniest hint of cereal or meat is mixed in with it she won't eat it. I've tried 4 different kinds of cereal now. :P The only way I can get her to eat meat is if it's one of the jarred mixes that's pureed much more finely than I'm able to. *sigh* Just keep plugging away I guess. Thanks though!

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 19:19:51 pm »
hi! how is it going?  I am an occupational therapist, and work with kids ages birth-3 as a feeding therapist.  the textural thing is common! you are not alone.  I would recommend getting an evaluation from birth to three for sensory related feeding issues.  where do you live?  it is usually a quick fix with a few tips.  always make feeding fun, not stressful and never push baby to go faster than they are ready.  but, we can do things to help move them along including a little oral massage before a meal, vibration in the mouth (either a toy, or vibrating toothbrush works well).  there are many tips they can give you!

good luck!