Author Topic: Does my LO know when she's full?  (Read 1281 times)

Offline etm24_7

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Does my LO know when she's full?
« on: December 15, 2010, 19:31:52 pm »
I started my DD on baby rice when she was 5 and a half months old as she seemed ready. She took to it really well and when she turned 6 months old (a week ago) I started introduing various fruits and vegetables. We've done about 8 different foods now and she's loving it! I'm still mixing the fruit or veg with a little baby rice. The problem is (and perhaps its not a problem) that she is eating so much. I thought a couple of tablespoons was about right but she's eating double that if not more. Am I supposed to be teaching her portion sizes or will she stop when she's full? A couple of times we've finished the bowl and she's still opened her mouth expectantly and been really upset when there hasn't been anymore! I'm still BF during the day - although she often cries at the end of that too making me think that perhaps she's not getting as much of that as she'd like either. I'm feeding her food three times a day and she has an 8 ounce bottle of formula just before bed. She generally sleeps well at night but she sometimes wakes up at about 10:30 and downs another 8 ounces! I obviously don't want to underfeed her, but I don't want to overfeed her either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Re: Does my LO know when she's full?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 20:29:13 pm »
I think you should trust her to let you know when she has had enough - they do seem to be okay at learning when they are full, and they can only learn if you let them, iyswim.  Definitely worth giving her a little more to see if she wants it - they certainly stop eating when they have had enough, so you should find that you are not overfeeding her if you follow her lead.

Offline etm24_7

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 22:05:09 pm »
ok thanks :-) I'll go with the flow then. She just amazes me with how much she's eating. I guess rather that than not eating though :-)

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 22:08:47 pm »
I worried with dd1 that she would keep eating till she burst as she never seemed full!  It is definitely better than them not eating, and I certainly found that she regulated what she needed fine - she's about 25th percentile, I think, so I don't think she overate.  I do wonder if perhaps they eat a bit more than they need when they are excited about the whole new exciting foods thing, but then slow down once they are a bit more accustomed to it.

Offline etm24_7

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 14:43:26 pm »
Yeah my dd is just below the 25th percentile so she's definitely not overweight. I just can't get over the amount she puts away :-) Its great to see her enjoying her food voyage of discovery though. She discovered mango this morning and LOVED it! :-)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 14:57:30 pm »
It's great that she loves her solids so much!  I say let her have as much as she'd like but just make sure that solids aren't replacing her milk feeds which are still more nutritious.  Especially if she is still on the small side, her milk is still more important in terms of nutrition.  Otherwise, have fun!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline etm24_7

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 20:37:08 pm »
Thanks :-) It is fun watching her enjoying herself so much - long may it continue! :-)